I'm looking for new shocks for my 2002 Tacoma

Deleted Member 183

The truck is my "daily driver" and I have no intentions to use it for off-road driving or camping. Can any of you Taco experts suggest a good "reasonably priced" brand of shocks I should look in to?

Dave in AZ

Bilstein 4600. Basically the OEM for that yruck, I have a 98 taco that I just replaced them on.
The other one to use is bilstein 5100, but they are almost identical to 4600 but with ability to change height with a clip, to give 0", 1", 2" lift.

If you are happy with the stock truck, daily driver, use the 4600s. That is what I did. Read maaaaany threads at Tacomaworld.com and made posts. This is the answer ;)

RealTruck

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Skyjacker has a great line of products at a reasonable value. The Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks come to mind for a daily driver. They're hydraulically dampened with a premium steel body for durability.

If you have any questions on fitment, availability, shipping times, or would like a pricing quote, you can PM me or email me at forums@realtruck.com. I'm happy to help!

Chambly

Monroe is not a bad option as well for on pavement driving, always depends on your local availability. I ended up going for 5100's but 4600 would do the trick.

bkg

Explorer
Bilstein 4600. Basically the OEM for that yruck, I have a 98 taco that I just replaced them on.
The other one to use is bilstein 5100, but they are almost identical to 4600 but with ability to change height with a clip, to give 0", 1", 2" lift.

If you are happy with the stock truck, daily driver, use the 4600s. That is what I did. Read maaaaany threads at Tacomaworld.com and made posts. This is the answer ;)

Listen to Dave.... he's spot on.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Another option for a totally stock truck are Tokico (Hitachi) or KYB, those are the OEMs Toyota used when the truck was new. They'll ride a little softer than Bilstein. I'd prefer Tokico slightly but KYB is easier to find.

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

Another option for a totally stock truck are Tokico (Hitachi) or KYB, those are the OEMs Toyota used when the truck was new. They'll ride a little softer than Bilstein. I'd prefer Tokico slightly but KYB is easier to find.

Hmmm... I just removed and replaced the OEM shocks from my 98 TRD OffRoad version, they were Bilstein 4600s. Maybe the non 4x4 OR versions had those other ones?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Hmmm... I just removed and replaced the OEM shocks from my 98 TRD OffRoad version, they were Bilstein 4600s. Maybe the non 4x4 OR versions had those other ones?
Yeah, good point, that's true. The TRD OR would have Bilstein. Don't remember the model number, 4600 may very well be right. I didn't see mention that it was a TRD truck so I did make an assumption.

Also the TRD would have progressive springs which the base and SR5 would not. It's not unusual that someone suggests Bilstein and the feedback is "harsh ride" so it's probably important to make the distinctions. Bilstein are I believe digressive valving so compatibility with springs isn't a minor distinction.

Deleted Member 183

Can any of you suggest a good online merchant for Tacoma parts? I want to buy the shocks & an air/ fuel sensor together so I can save on shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior