I'm not talking "Kommando Spezialkräfte", but pretty darn close, how would you build your next RIG?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
As you like the upstairs living space, and have said you would like an open air top deck, how about going from the Blue House,

View attachment 811006

to something with more room upstairs, reliable and powerful Ruskie drivetrain, with easy to access shipping containers, single material non-composite prefabbed living units.

View attachment 811007
View attachment 811008

That is one interesting build, I just wonder how tipsy it gets, lots of off-camber roads around here, not to mention the highway sidewinds, might be a rodeo getting that rig to camp.

Reactions: mog

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
That is one interesting build, I just wonder how tipsy it gets, lots of off-camber roads around here, not to mention the highway sidewinds, might be a rodeo getting that rig to camp.
Agreed. Certainly a no trees, no overpasses, no overhead powerlines kind of rig, in addition to the above list. There is no way I could handle a rig like that, but I'm sure Joaquin Suave Deleted Member 183 could rodeo that rig to the best remote surf spot in Baja (after the Federales spent mucho horas 'inspecting' it)

And don't forget to have the front upper container doors open with a drop out deck

hy.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted Member 183

Sorry Bud! But that just won't fly!

I lost my innocence at 14 in a bathtub with a "biker chick" ( my older stepbrother was in the Hell's Angles)!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have one I've been collecting parts for that I'm probably finally going to start assembly this next year.
It's a 1970 International Loadstar crewcab, Airforce rig. It's going on an 07 International 4300 frame with Axletech 4000 axles and a T600 transfercase. It will be rolling on 395/85/20 Michelin XZLs and powered by a Cummins 8.3 and Allison MT654CR from a M 9XX 5 ton. The "camper" will probably be an old US Forest Service crew buggy body that I picked up cheap and came out of Six Rivers National Forest about 20 miles or so from where I grew up.

I have all the big parts and just need to do some assembly. And it does seem like rigs like Casa Azul that are built and not bought seem to be getting fewer and fewer. My grandfather built a "motorhome" back in the early 70s to survive the Alaskan Highway because he got tired of breaking down on his trips there and back, he started driving up in mid 60s every year for gold mining. He took a 1970 Ford cabover with a CAT 1145, 5 speed and two speed rearend. Proceeded to extend the frame and lighten the rear springs. He then got a brand new 1972 Winnebago 27' fifth wheel, jacked it up, removed the axles and backed the Ford under it. So it was double framed and it was attached at the front with the fifth wheel hitch. He built sides and a front that matched the color and design of the trailer to enclose the front fifth wheel portion and used it as storage. He could unbolt the sides to put big items in, one year he had the finals and doglegs for a D8 in there, he said that was smoothest ride up ever. He had 4 tanks could make it from Phoenix AZ to almost Fairbanks AK without refueling.

His rig inspired me from a very young age and then I saw Casa Azul on a TV show probably 20 years ago and I decided to build my own. I've been collecting parts for just over 10 years now for my build and now it's time to start.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Here's the start. Hopefully have a bunch to add this next spring and summer. Tent camping has lost its appeal now that my wife and I are over 50.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Here's the start. Hopefully have a bunch to add this next spring and summer. Tent camping has lost its appeal now that my wife and I are over 50.
Is the Cab-to-Axle length going to work out for you using the Loadstar Crewcab?

Deleted Member 183

FANTASTIC!!!!!

If you don't mind me sharing my opinion ( and as the saying goes... opinions are like ***wholes, everybody has one).

• Personally I'd "trim" the Loadstar crewcab to an expended cab to buy yourself more living space.
  • Though I like the 8.3 Cummins ( I have one in my prototype LMTV), I'd go with a 5.9 12-valve because they are less mass and with all the "off the shelf" performance bling out there for them... You will have plenty of "juice". Casa goes MUCH faster than I am comfortable driving a truck that size!
  • I also would choose an Allison MT653 because it has a wider gear range ( 1st gear 8.04:1). Granted it is not capable of handling the same load ( 73k lbs. vs 84k lbs.), but given that Casa weighs under 21k fully wet and loaded... I don't see that as much of an issue!
  • I'd bail on the crew buggy body and try to find an antique trailer to cut and hack on like this:trailerama-2.jpg Granted "to each their own", but whatever you do I ( and I'm sure several others here) will be cheering for you!!!

And, I'll be more than happy to help you however I can!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Is the Cab-to-Axle length going to work out for you using the Loadstar Crewcab?
Yep, that's why I got a 07 International 4300 frame. It was under a 24 foot or so reefer box so it has plenty of nice straight frame rail to play with. I'll switch the cab over to it. The stock Loadstar frame would have to be lengthened and it would be lots of work to fit everything on it.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
FANTASTIC!!!!!

If you don't mind me sharing my opinion ( and as the saying goes... opinions are like ***wholes, everybody has one).

• Personally I'd "trim" the Loadstar crewcab to an expended cab to buy yourself more living space.
  • Though I like the 8.3 Cummins ( I have one in my prototype LMTV), I'd go with a 5.9 12-valve because they are less mass and with all the "off the shelf" performance bling out there for them... You will have plenty of "juice". Casa goes MUCH faster than I am comfortable driving a truck that size!
  • I also would choose an Allison MT653 because it has a wider gear range ( 1st gear 8.04:1). Granted it is not capable of handling the same load ( 73k lbs. vs 84k lbs.), but given that Casa weighs under 21k fully wet and loaded... I don't see that as much of an issue!
  • I'd bail on the crew buggy body and try to find an antique trailer to cut and hack on like this:View attachment 812150 Granted "to each their own", but whatever you do I ( and I'm sure several others here) will be cheering for you!!!

And, I'll be more than happy to help you however I can!
I actually looked for an Airstream or Avion truck camper but decent ones are expensive. The other thing is I'm up here where there are trees, and I need something that can take a branch or two and not dent. I do have a 24' U haul box, FRP, that I've also thought about using after shortening it some. Of course I only paid $700 for the crew buggy body and most of the parts I've acquired were on the cheap.

The crewcab body is shorter than modern ones and I'm 6'6" so it's going to stay a full crewcab. I'm also planning on stuffing the 8.3 in with no firewall mods, I have an extra donor Loadstar front clip to lengthen my current one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan