I'm obsessed with 2nd-gen RAV4s...can anyone oblige me?

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Yep, I've got a problem. My recent trail outing changed my ways of thinking about CUVs--they were rambling all over up there, soaking up the bumps and looking like a lot of fun.

I started researching some, and I think I've found my top pick...a 2001-2005 RAV4. Full-time 4wd (no front or rear-bias), last generation available with manual trans, first generation with VVTi and timing chain, awesome side-opening rear gate and spare tire, fold n' tumble rear seats, they're like little mini-Prados.

Yeah, I also read that they have the highest female-purchaser percentage of anything other than the VW New Beetle, but hey, day say women are smartah, right?!

I'm stuck though. I can't bring myself to change what I already have, and I'm not going to 3 vehicles. Sooooo, I've been getting my fix from videos, photos, and classifieds ads. Does anyone have one? Any stories, pics, etc?

Thank you thank you

Toyota-RAV4_2003_1600x1200_wallpaper_14.jpg

Dake21

Adventurer
It has to have some sort of bias. I'd be interested to know how the 4wd works on it. If it's a longitudinal engine with all open diff your rear wheel will spin in case of slip.
Regardless, it's a much better system that what you typically find on newer vehicle of its class. Do you want to fit in tighter trail or what?

rkj__

Adventurer
I like to see people playing in the dirt with vehicles that are not necessarily the rough and tumble 4x4s that usually come to mind when thinking of an "off road" vehicle.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Yep, I've got a problem. My recent trail outing changed my ways of thinking about CUVs--they were rambling all over up there, soaking up the bumps and looking like a lot of fun.

I started researching some, and I think I've found my top pick...a 2001-2005 RAV4. Full-time 4wd (no front or rear-bias), last generation available with manual trans, first generation with VVTi and timing chain, awesome side-opening rear gate and spare tire, fold n' tumble rear seats, they're like little mini-Prados.

Well thanks....now I'm obsessed.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Well shoot Tanglefoot, that makes two of us. I test drove one of these years ago, but at the time they were outta my price range. I absolutely LOVED this thing. It felt very sports car like, which I personally liked. I'm 6'3" and I felt it had plenty of room inside for me, and the look and feel of the interior was great as well. I ended up with a '99 CR-V, which was also a very good vehicle, but I just didn't love it the same way as I did that Rav4. I'm actually starting the hunt for a new vehicle myself and this particular vehicle is back on my radar as well. I can't speak from experience, but I think this will be a great choice. I'll be watching to see if you get one and how you like it.

shmabs

Explorer
I bought a front wheel drive one for my (now ex) wife. In short, I loved the little truck-let. It had lots of useable room, a great power plant, and was everything you would expect from a Toyota. Ours had the auto in it, which seemed reasonably well matched to the power plant. I loved the fold and tumble rear seats, and found it had decent clearance for getting us out in the dirt. At 160k, it ran and drove awesome.

Mike

Jrally

Adventurer
They are transverse engine, basically the same as the earlier All-Trac Toyota offered in Camry, Celica, Corolla and Tercel (various engines with these cars, but all 4 cylinders).

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Haha...if I were ready to purchase, I probably won't have posted (the availability of them with the manual gearboxes is pretty limited). I won't be shopping any time soon, unless something unexpected happens to one of mine, so I'm experiencing the RAV vicariously.

It sounds like the 1st and 2nd-gen RAV4s used a system that connects the trans output to the center differential (not physically located in the center, but connected between the front and rear differentials, rather than directly to the front or rear differentials like most AWD systems, so it probably functions much like, say an FJ-80, if I'm not mistaken. The center differential still has a dynamic lockup, so it should be deliver better traction than a full-time system with three open differentials. Apparently the center differential automatic lockup is effective enough that Toyota didn't feel the need for the center diff lock button of the 1st and 3rd gens. There might be some bias, but it's not like the more typical, normally front-wheel-drive system that only diverts torque rearward when the fronts slip.

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/toyota/#RAV4_II_Type_20__2000_2006_

The research, and resulting obsession are the consequences of witnessing the other trail users on my last mountain outing. I had the T-case in 4-Low but among the other vehicles, there were more AWD CUVs than 4wds, and they seemed to be plenty capable and much more comfortable over the bumps.

Applejack

Explorer
I looked for one of those a few months ago as a DD rig and something that could take the family to the crag, trailhead etc. and as something that could handle unmaintained FS roads. Couldn't find a 5spd one so I ended up with a 2002 CRV. I have been pretty impressed with how well these small CUV's get around. I've taken it through some things that I never would have thought it would do. It doesn't have the best AWD system but so far I've not had to turn back. If I can't go over it, being small means I can usually go around it. I think that being handicapped by their limitations can make you a better driver too. It could never replace my 4Runner though.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Sorry I do not have all that many action photos.
But I have a nice link : http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/101184-Off-road-com-RAV4

My wife and I lived out of one for a year long road trip adventure and have since taken the thing to the bottom of Eurique canyon (copper canyon mexico). It has taken nearly everything I have dished out. This car does fine in every thing that is not limited by ground clearance. Its a monster in powder snow and deep sand. As long as there are not huge wheel ruts to fall into.

Jrally is correct about All-Trac but I will add the Previa van could be had with all-trac.

The thing you just won't find is the optional torsen limited slip rear differential. They are unobtainable.

Mine is a 2004 with about 170,000 miles. I wish it was the standard as those are 5 speed vs the 4 on the auto.

A few interesting things -

In other countries there are diesel options including a 2.2L turbo 170hp D4D, I dont even like diesel and that makes me jealous.

The entire engine transmission and axles/drive lines of a turbo celica will swap into a 1st generation. ( yes people have done this to 2door 1st gens.)

1st gens had 2 door option US 2nd gens lost this option.

The stock battery tray in my 2004 fits a 27 size battery to run my fridge.

I found the rear springs to sag out with any weight at all so I got some stiffer ones from old man emu/ARB. They are a great improvement.

I will be doing the front springs soon for a 1" lift.

I am running on slightly upsized 225/70 16 michelin ltx ms2 tires and these 4 season tires are great. Last set was stock 215/70/16 size. There is clearance for a 235/70/16 and even a 225/75/16. I would not want bigger tires as it would drop out of 4th gear constantly.

Factory aluminum wheels are a half inch wider than steels so aluminum wheels are a must.

More than once I have been through over 16" of water with no issues at all.

2004 is a really good year because the ECU issues have been sorted.

The stability control can be turned off with a sequence of pedal pumps and e-brake pull and release.

The underbelly of this car is rather soft and vulnerable.

The 2AZ-FE some have had problems with the head studs striping out -Its some what rare but there are kits to fix this. I have had no issues and have driven hard miles over mountain passes with big loads and a large cargo box with 3 bikes on the roof and 2 handing on the spare, probably over GVW. Wide open throttle 45mph 2nd gear and 5000rpm hard. Also the scion TC and camry use this engine. Parts are easy to get. TC owners have put on turbos and report good results up to about 200hp.

Another interesting point the second generation is essentially a global vehicle with different versions all over the world.

Mine was made in japan.

Dont get a 2.0L go for the 2.4L 2AZ-FE the gas mileage difference is almost nothing.
There was a TRD super charger for the scion TC with the 2az-fe its also obtainable.

Yes the 2az-fe is a drive by wire with electronic throttle body.

I am amazed I have not had to do a CV yet and there are 10 CV under this car.

Some day I want to swap in a 5 speed auto and a 1AR-FE - its a 2.7 dual vvt-i from the highlander/venza

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Thanks, Jay. Good stuff there. I remember seeing that modified 1st gen thread but couldn't remember where it was--thanks for the link!

I was wondering how the fuel economy differed between the 1AZ and 2AZ. I usually prefer smaller displacement because a little more fuel economy can usually be eeked out, but I'd probably go with the best condition/value example, whichever engine it happens to have. I believe the early ECU problems with auto-trans related, so the 5-speed should be immune, right?

I wouldn't be doing any mods whatsoever, but it's interesting to see what's been done.

nilz

On a moutainpass in Norway
IMG_0350.jpg

Soma campingground in Sweden
IMG_0409.jpg

Have no clue to why pic´s are tilted! or i just s*ck

ihatemybike

Explorer
This thread starts up and I see a green lifted Rav4 with black wheel in Elgin, IL yesterday. Wish I could have took a pic, but I was in traffic and my phone was about dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears