I'm thinking about keeping the subie i got...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I was just going to sell it, but... it fully rocks offroad. :punk03: (took it up and down and sideslope on a muddy, rutted 30 degree hillside..aka..my yard)

What would you all do to an 81 subie to make it better offroad, or does anyone have any suggestions on mods?

- I'm thinking about a roll bar/cage starting @ A pillar, that goes back to behind the rear seat that would tie into a cargo barrier
- aftermarket beard/prp seats and harnesses in the front that would use part of the roll bar to attach the harnesses to.
- I'd probably put a winch bumper with a short drum winch up front.
- figure out cargo out back.

....and possibly a swing away with can holders and tire carrier(not sure on this one, as the spare is already tucked away into engine compartment, and it gets around 30mpg, so...)

What says the portal
HTML:
? I think this would totally take the anza trails I'd take it on.

anyone else pimp an older subie or been on a trailride with one?

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
If you don't need the money and like to tinker I'd keep it. I have always liked the older Subie products and for a long time wanted to get one just to wrench on. They are easy to work on, cheap to fix, and believe it or not there is some aftermarket support out there.

Customer4myself.jpg

Back Yard boys in Australia makes a lift kit for the Subarus as well as Allied Armament here in The States. The older Subes have a very dedicated and colorful cult following and are pretty adept at scrounging and fabbing. I've seen bumpers, swing-aways, skid plates, snorkels, racks, and steel wheels from the Peugot 206 Turbo(?) used.

DSCN2680.jpg

DSCN2681.jpg

I met Subaru Tex in Monroe, WA and here's his GL with a lift, 2" body lift, and a 2.5T motor swap.

You can also check USMB out. This message board has been around for quite some time.

Superu

Explorer
Might want to look around at AUSubaru

These guys take older Subies to the extreme.

They also make kifts for newer models as well now. :)

There are several domestic places that have lifts and accessories for the older models as well. Have fun with it!

Storz

Explorer
I had a newer Subie (05 RS) and was nothing short of amazed at the places that car would go, open differential and all. Subies rule and when it comes time for me to get another car it will definitly be a Subaru of some sort. (as a 2nd vehicle of course)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
cool. thanks for the info.

I'm putting in new front CV's this week, and once they're done...its off to the smog sniffer.

After that I'll make the final decision, cuz i will have been driving it on the road for long enough to see if truly like it.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
MuddyMudskipper said:
If you don't need the money and like to tinker I'd keep it. I have always liked the older Subie products and for a long time wanted to get one just to wrench on. They are easy to work on, cheap to fix, and believe it or not there is some aftermarket support out there.

Customer4myself.jpg

Back Yard boys in Australia makes a lift kit for the Subarus as well as Allied Armament here in The States. The older Subes have a very dedicated and colorful cult following and are pretty adept at scrounging and fabbing. I've seen bumpers, swing-aways, skid plates, snorkels, racks, and steel wheels from the Peugot 206 Turbo(?) used.

DSCN2680.jpg

DSCN2681.jpg

I met Subaru Tex in Monroe, WA and here's his GL with a lift, 2" body lift, and a 2.5T motor swap.

You can also check USMB out. This message board has been around for quite some time.
Anything with a snorkal is cool

Storz

Explorer
My old Subie

full skidplates, 15" gravel tires, big obnoxious lights (for TSD rallies) and some other goodies

71725e612f71eef8f1e05c15b644d6a7.jpg

53bf99d99e634d2f7ba89d57c405f6f3.jpg

img_5233.jpg

img0384-vi.jpg

wentz912

Observer
I just picked up an 86 GL wagon saturday for $900 and I have got to say that the thing is friggin AMAZING! SO much built in storage, dual range 4wd, station wagon covered storage, factory roof rack, a/c....

seriously, EVERYONE that is into expedition type travel should at least try one once.

I'm going to purchase some tall n narrow snow type tires after the snow around here melts so that the local tire guys can't skin me alive. something with oh....80-ish sidewall ratio should do the trick.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
wentz912 said:
I just picked up an 86 GL wagon saturday for $900 and I have got to say that the thing is friggin AMAZING! SO much built in storage, dual range 4wd, station wagon covered storage, factory roof rack, a/c....

seriously, EVERYONE that is into expedition type travel should at least try one once.

I'm going to purchase some tall n narrow snow type tires after the snow around here melts so that the local tire guys can't skin me alive. something with oh....80-ish sidewall ratio should do the trick.

nice:punk03:

wentz912

Observer
Yeah tell me about it. I live at the end of a 3/4 mile gravel county road:wings: and she wouldn't make it up the last hill of the road with the tires she's got on it, so I can't even get the rig up here to my shop to replace the front cv's, which I have to do first before I get tires.

sooo, she waits. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan