ImNoSaint's Tahoe Build

zgfiredude

Really nice work both on the build and on the thread. Sorry to learn of the diagnosis. Get out there and live every day, you're off to a first class start. (y)

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Seriously nice work on your rig. The only thing missing from your doggie area is a spill proof water bowl

Edit to add - you may even want to consider some K9 unit style window guards for your pups, you can keep the windows down while the car is parked knowing your pups will not be able to get out or be gotten to. I have some on my Tahoe and have some window screen material zip tied to them, they make for great ventilation.

Happy wheeling, may it be a blessed time for you.

Thanks, and thank you for the recommendations.

Mawgie

Imnosaint,

Fantastic build. You do really nice work and that is far and away one of the nicest Tahoe builds I've seen. Happy adventuring to you, and stay strong!

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Imnosaint,

Fantastic build. You do really nice work and that is far and away one of the nicest Tahoe builds I've seen. Happy adventuring to you, and stay strong!

Thank you. It's been a great distraction and labor of love. Now it's time to consider what to do with that front end.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Blackout

img_2668.jpg

This is the third blackout I’ve done on a build, the first being on a Mk3 Montero with a grill and hood blackout with the Dakar logo with a tragically applied bedliner treatment around the bumpers and kicks.

montwarner.jpg

The second was on an H3 where chrome seemed to be more bling than necessary. I just did a grill blackout.

h3-desert.jpg

That seemed to blend things up front a bit better.

Since day-one of acquisition I’ve wanted to reduce the chrome on the Rhino as well, including the grill, the headlight cluster eyebrows and the window trim.

hh2nt9jaqm2nmp5ij93qa.jpg

Above is the before shot, as in before the front end lighting upgrade, recovery hook installation, facia replacement and blackout and below is the after.

img_2669.jpg

This mod required removal of the front bumper cap and grill, along with the headlight clusters. I then removed the grill from the bumper cap assembly and prepped it and the clusters for paint. Since I used a plasti-dip type paint, masking isn’t necessary and any overspray could’ve been peeled off, but I don’t have the patience for that.

vajfalbtzoi3bt8nkgqw.jpg

I shot the grill with seven coats of Dupli-Color’s Custom Wrap removable paint in black satin and did the same treatment on the brows of the headlight clusters to continue that black line across the front facia.

img_2726.jpg

I shot the grill bow tie with Rustoleum’s Farm Implement Huskvarna Orange along with the OEM recovery hooks.

bhqarsoor9alavi9smalg.jpg

The window trim chrome was blacked-out using Crux Motorsports’ window chrome delete kit for 2015 Tahoe/Yukon.

9r1n1u5crjq9ikb6m2bma.jpg

The kit comes die-cut for each window trim piece and is easy to install.

Jacobm

That blackout looks good! I've been working on blacking out the chrome on my daily driver, a Chrysler 300C, with mediocre results so far. I've tried plasti-dip and vinyl wrap, and so far neither ended up sticking how I'd like them to. No fault on the products, I'm sure I'm not doing the installation with the care and skill required.

Luckily there's not much chrome on the Yukon, and what is there doesn't bother me much.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Illumination Upgrade

avsbyvkfricpxtot04mpoa.jpg

Headlights
Stock headlights and high beams left much to be desired, so the first place to start on increasing nighttime visibility was to replace the OEM lamps with LEDs.

btdloqrs2axzmg03da.jpg

This was an easy and straightforward swap since I had the grill assembly and headlight clusters out for a blackout treatment.

I replaced both hi/lo OEM lamps with Sealight 6000K Cool White LED lamps. The bulbs fit the stock lamp mount pattern and the capacitor boxes stow inside the housings with double-sided backing tape.

d2ptdeizs3ohc1faqwa2mq.jpg

Plug and play. Nice improvement in pattern, throw and color temperature.

dpyqvut3sju6uwmah40ika.jpg

Driving/Fog Lights
With the front end disassembled, I also removed the dim factory fog lamps I had previously installed (the Rhino didn’t come with any in PPV trim), and went with Rigid Series 50 fog lamps mounted on KD Fabworks hardware in the stock fog lamp opening on the facia.

hq9hvxbcsnm6497jnmwihq.jpg

KDF does a nice (but pricey) job in their fabrication work with precise fit and mounting tabs while engineered to position the driving light where I thought it works best.

fwyhq4t1sdpx6tbkzlhwg.jpg

The KDF mount can accommodate two 50 Series Rigid lights. Since I have auxiliary lighting as well, I just went with the driving lamps in this location. KDF makes a blank engineered to fill in the remaining space from the OEM fog light.

img_2724.jpg

I’m very pleased with this upgrade, even happier to see even father down the road in ominous conditions.

Off-Road Light Bar
hh2nt9jaqm2nmp5ij93qa.jpg

The first lighting mod on the White Rhino was a delete of the previous lightbar and the addition of this single-row, Rigidhorse (yeah, I know) 42″ spot/flood combo at 40k lumens.

The last lighting mod on the Rhino was the relocation of the LEDs driving lights that came with the truck, originally located over the recovery hook location in the PPV valance as seen above. I’m guessing this was a fix to fill those holes left over from code-three lighting in that spot.

Since I upgraded the driving/fog lights and wanted to add a pair of recovery hooks to the front of the Rhino, and since the reverse lighting is simply a suggestion of light, I moved the eight-LED, spot/combo fixtures to the rear bumper facia so I can see where the hell I’m going in reverse.

65039245018__f5113b1b-a830-47c5-a78d-9e290b66ebc5-1.jpg

I created a template, marked the spots on the bumper and cut the key holes with a Dremel with a cutting bit. I created pig tails and tapped them into the OEM reverse light wiring, and on the first day, there was light.

lae9jovwqxgkih1yieqoiq.jpg

kwill

Observer
Fantastic build! Do you sometimes camp without the trailer? I'm wondering why the built-in amenities--as well-executed as they are--given that the trailer has stove, sink, etc.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Fantastic build! Do you sometimes camp without the trailer? I'm wondering why the built-in amenities--as well-executed as they are--given that the trailer has stove, sink, etc.

Thank you. We do camp without the trailer. We're waiting on an awning tent from ROAM like the ARB set up we had on our previous rig. We use the trailer as a basecamp as well, out for a day or two at a time in places we can't tow it, so this serves us well.

38bf7-irishest2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger