ImNoSaint's Tiger Explorer 1200XC Build

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I'm sure Mrs Imnosaint was thinking ****** when the headders were in the oven...

They came out great.

I'm hoping to be at noobs in Death Valley in March.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Whenever I get my Tiger back from the Triumph shop. Have a Death Valley trip planned mid-March. How about you?
Nothing planned for trips yet. It takes till April / May for the streetcleaners to be done getting rid of the gravel / salt that is on the roads from winter. Looking at a few day trips. The Iron Horse trail looks interesting. As does Forestry trunk road. Trouble here is I need to ride a couple hours to get to some nice off pavement areas.

Iron horse trail:
abt-banner.png

Forestry trunk road:
FTR2.jpg

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Cylinder Head Replacement
If you’ve ever worked on the top end of an internal combustion engine you know there are certain signs and indications that are cringeworthy, evidence of mechanical malfeasance that warrant holding one’s breath, only to exhale in an explicative or two.

I usually have this same type of wonky mechanical hypervigilance when the machine is working, audio and tactile tell-tale signs of something amiss; a backfire, a sudden loss of power, sounding like a detuned Subaru, chugging, all of which the Tiger Explorer demonstrated throughout last Summer’s rides to the Eastern Sierras and Glacier National Park, five thousand miles of riding powered by, come to find out, only one cylinder.

20240215_131137.jpg

It gets better. I dropped the Tiger off at Eurosports Utah, my trusted Triumph shop and dealer, for a routine valve adjustment, hoping that might take care of the audio and tactile signs of something wrong, but as the technician dug into the Explorer’s heart, some malpractice was discovered, a crack in one of the head’s breather tube seats with evidence of a slipshod repair attempt with something that looks an awful lot like JB Kwikweld.

20240215_131137.jpeg

I’ve been riding this bike for the last four years and over thirty thousand miles with a cracked cylinder head.

But wait, there’s more. Pandora would’ve loved this. There are three intake boots where the intake manifold mates with the head, all of which compromised, disintegrating over time, miles and, I’m suspecting, Ethanol. These are imperative to keep intake air pressure in spec.

20240215_141227-2894765769-e1708452119721.jpg

Were this Tiger Explorer a four-wheeled vehicle, I have a feeling that Jeremy, James and Richard would have drowned it in the channel, dropped it from a crane and flung it from a trebuchet only to right the bike, hit the starter and ride it off to the nearest pub.

My great thanks (and life’s savings) to the crew at Eurosports Utah for taking great care of the bike and me.

(Photo credits: Gaven Schlosser)

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Explorer Tool Roll
My $15 tool roll finally disintegrated along with the Triumph factory tool roll, and I had made enough changes to the kit to warrant a redo, always using the tools on board to do roadside and garage fixes, to remove, fix and replace fairings and gas tank, brake calipers and battery, wheels and controls. RadioHead would approve of this current set up with everything in its right place.

In the righthand pannier are two rubber clamps that hold a sixteen inch 3/8″ drive torque wrench with a six inch 3/8″ extension. This is used to remove and torque rear wheel lug nuts.

img_1342.jpeg

Also in the pannier is a tire repair kit that also contains a 15mm socket for the rear lugs and a hex axle tool – 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 24mm – to remove the front wheel axle (LH side of pouch below). These are the three most overlooked tools needed for tire change/repair and brake maintenance.

img_1346.jpeg

An air compressor rounds out the kit kept in the pannier, made by MotoPumps. It inflates up to 50 pounds, has a built-in pressure gauge and flashlight and a handy coiled air tube with a threaded brass valve fitting. I’ve used this dozens of times and it has always done the job without generating a lot of heat.

img_1343.jpeg

Under the seat I keep three items, a Leatherman multi-tool, a Milwaukee multi-driver and the Lochby tool roll.

img_1347.jpeg

The Lochby roll is a waxed canvas, sixteen inch roll with a zippered pouch that stays closed with an aluminum hook. It’s large enough to hold the rest of the tools I need for the Explorer and still small enough to fit under the seat with room for the multi-tool and driver.

img_1348.jpeg

Contents:

The pouch: Circuit tester, 1/4″ drive extension, 8mm boxed end wrench and 1/4″ sockets – 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, and 14mm with a hex socket for the Torx and Allen bits.

The roll (L to R): 10, 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5, 4.5, and 4mm Allen wrenches, Gerber Ambar Slim Drive knife, 4″ Vice Grip pliers, extendable magnetic wand, JB Kwikweld, 1/4″ driver, 1/4″ and 5/16″ drive 4, 5, and 6mm Rexbeti Allen bits, and T25, T27 and T40 Rexbeti Torx bits. Rounding out the kit is a 14mm box wrench to adjust fork rebound and dampening.

img_1123-1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior