Import versus USA warranty cameras

mjm

Observer
A search will find this subject was touched on several years ago, but not thoroughly discussed. The prices of imported equipment is significantly lower than the same item with a USA warranty. Is it worth the risk? Does price point rule? How common is it for someone to send in a camera or lens for repair?

It is common to see items on the B&H site that are either B&H imported and warranted or USA manufacturer's warranted. For me, the price difference does not justify the risk. I have yet to have a failure within the warranty period, but I'm unwilling to take that risk, especially to save a $100 on a $5,000 piece of equipment. In the case of Nikon, a gray market piece of equipment does not have a manufacturer's warranty and will be warranted by the importer. I trust B&H to stand behind their sales, but not a lot of other retailers. You might investigate membership in an association that offers equipment discounts through certain vendors. For example, NANPA, the North American Nature Photography Association arranges discounts through Hunt's Photo in Boston. Hunt's is a reputable retailer and as a NANPA member, you'll get an account executive at Hunt's to handle your business. If you qualify for membership in ASMP, you'll get an across the board discount at B&H. The memberships get fairly expensive, so you have to get more benefit from membership than just an equipment discount.

mjm

Observer
I will add another iron to the fire. Many of the internet sellers who are offering "WOW" deals on imports, practice "bait and switch" and other deceptive trade practices. I saw one operating under a dozen different names.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I will add another iron to the fire. Many of the internet sellers who are offering "WOW" deals on imports, practice "bait and switch" and other deceptive trade practices. I saw one operating under a dozen different names.

In my search for a camcorder I have come across many reports of bait and switch operations.

In my case the camera I'm looking for retails for $600.00- $800.00 when I do a price search. There are a number of companies offering the same product for anywhere from $350.00 - $500.00. Looking at their sites it becomes obvious something is up when you look at the high price of the accessories they recommend with the camera.

Further research by either Googling feedback on the company or going to http://www.resellerratings.com or http://beatthat.com reveals issues with those companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78