Importing 7.3L E530 into the USA from Canada?

Ty_Deschaine

Does anyone have experience with this? Reason I ask is that Vancouver has a PLETHORA of E350 7.3L's and the exchange rate is really on our side right now! I live in Bellingham, WA and Vancouver is actually closer than Seattle. Are the Canadian E350 's the same as the USA models? Looking into it, they need to be EPA and DOT compliant for import. Any info is appreciated!

Here is an example.. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5555186024.html. $6500 CAD = $5000 USD.

Last edited:

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Check the us customs page and read import from Canada section. US does not make it easy. If you do not do the paper work properly you will not be able to register it in the US. There is a 25% tax on the van when you bring it over also. Just fyi

Good luck

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Having owned two imported Land Cruiser's, it's not as daunting as some make it out to be. For one, if the vehicle is made in the USA there is no duty fee. There is also no duty fee for MOST Canadian made vehicles, especially a 25% one. The laws allow importing vehicles from Canada that are under 25 years old as long as they meet the U.S. Safety and Emission standards. Some Canadian market vehicles made in the U.S. will not meet this requirement. If the vehicle is over 25 years old, this does not apply.

One way to make sure the vehicle in question meets these standards is to get a written letter from the manufacturer regarding the specific vehicle (VIN) in question.

Check out CBP form 7501 for what you'll need.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Of note there are still some vehicles in Canada over 25 years that will import without hassle or cost, but can't be registered in California. Rare, but not something you want to find out after import and purchase costs.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
No... Can't be done... We want to keep all our 7.3s!

Just kidding... :D I can't help you on th rules but with the exchange at 30% you're right about prices.

Here's a Cube that could make a good stealth camper. Add a U-joint kit and it'd be real fun... In the desert that is, much to big for wheeling anywhere on this rock.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2001-Ford-E-350-Super-Duty-Cube-Van_27512239.lite
Be about 250k miles on a 7.3, but looks good in the pics for $4500 CAD... Also likely well maintained. Company has been in business here for a long time and has a good reputation.

simple

Adventurer
I brought my RV across for same reasons. If made in USA, needs stickers that say meets us DOT standards and EPA standards. 2 stickers. Also need Canadian bill of sale and title. I also paid Canadian GST extra 5% but still a good deal with exchange rate. Customs agents are bureaucrats with side arms. Kind of intimidating but if you talk to customs before the deal and make sure your ducks are lined up, no big deal.

I honestly wouldn't go through the hassle of bringing a van out of Vancouver into the USA. You'd be looking at a van that's probably spent its entire life in a seaside city in stop-and-go traffic. Even with the exchange rate, the taxes and hassle to get a van full of sea salt and road salt probably isn't worth it versus flying down to Arizona or Nevada and finding a van that's at least lived in a better climate.

Abitibi

Explorer
I honestly wouldn't go through the hassle of bringing a van out of Vancouver into the USA. You'd be looking at a van that's probably spent its entire life in a seaside city in stop-and-go traffic. Even with the exchange rate, the taxes and hassle to get a van full of sea salt and road salt probably isn't worth it versus flying down to Arizona or Nevada and finding a van that's at least lived in a better climate.
I respectfully disagree. I've lived in Vancouver for 20 yrs and the condition of most local vehicles is amazing. Road salt is what kills vehicles and we don't really use any since we hardly ever have snow...

Here's something to get you thinking... He's asking $20,000 Cdn which is about $15,000 usd. Not bad for what it is :)
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5583703927.html

Cheers
David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I respectfully disagree. I've lived in Vancouver for 20 yrs and the condition of most local vehicles is amazing. Road salt is what kills vehicles and we don't really use any since we hardly ever have snow...

Here's something to get you thinking... He's asking $20,000 Cdn which is about $15,000 usd. Not bad for what it is :)
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5583703927.html

Cheers
David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

X2
70s vehicles had major rust issues. Newer vehicles often die before they rust at all.

The body on my 97 E350 Ambo is virtually rust free. It at 19 has a bit of surface rust in a couple spots that have needed to be touched up. The frame has more surface rust than I'd like, but it was an Ambulance for 10 years and then used by contractors for another 7. Even the frame isn't bad... Nothing some paint won't fix. Ambulance life is about as hard as it gets, and then it was used for laying irrigation pipes in the field. Despite this, it's still in good shape. And btw, it cost me less than 1k USD :D... About what the 7.3 PSD would sell for.

F451

Observer
I purchased a beautiful '73 Triumph Bonneville 750 out of Vancouver last February. Between the favorable exchange rate and the 25 year or older rule of not having to meet EPA emissions requirements it was a no brainer. I spent a lot of time online researching, printer out some paperwork, filled out what I could. Made sure I had all the proper paperwork from the seller and headed to the border. Declared what I was doing at the border, they sent me inside to see a customs agent.

The customs agent was great, told me I didn't need a bunch of the forms I had, he tried to figure out how to import it with the least cost for me which was a big surprise. 30 mins later and a small duty check and I was on my way. Later titled and registered in WA State no problem.

Plus the Canadians are super nice. My sister lives in Van so she came along for the ride to "help" me check out the Triumph. Just before we left the sellers house with the bike, his neighbor came over with two dozen roses for his wife (it may have been the Canadian Mother's Day or something). The neighbor also had 2 dozens rose for the stranger (my sister) in the seller's driveway.

So I got a killer deal on a sweet bike and my sister got 2 dozen roses from a complete stranger.

IMG_2277-M.jpg

I would emphasize to do your online research on the gov't websites, border agency websites and rely less on web forums.

I've have also considered purchasing a newer adventure type van from Canada, there are a lot of great deals, just do your homework and be prepared to be resourceful if things don't go smoothly right off the bat. If you do your homework you should have no problems. -Eddie

F451

Observer
Agreed on the rust issue. In 20 some odd years of visiting Vancouver I've seen no worse rust issues then down here in the Seattle area. The vehicles out here are in amazing shape for their age. And yes, you may find similar or better condition cars in the desert states, SoCal, etc, definitely easier to do a purchase from within the states too, but I would not rule out a vehicle from Vancouver or Seattle simply based on rust fears. -Eddie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998