Importing HELP Please!

Aloha all,

I am looking for options to import the newest possible style LC 70 series cruisers. We are looking for 2 x LC, one being a Troopy if we can find the right one. I do a lot of overseas work in East Africa for humanitarian aid and we are looking to buy an LC for stateside training of our people. This is going to a great cause for poeple doing great things overseas for those less fortunate.

Can anyone PM me or point me in the right direction for reputable importers?

Looking for factory stock LC, left hand drive if able. We prefer coil front end but know that could be a problem for import years allowed. Are there conversion kits for older LC to coil front ends?

Desires:
1) Best place to import from? Vehicles will be used in Southern California on private land so registration is not required, but desired in the end for transport if needed. We can trailer them if need be.
2) Diesel.
3) Left hand drive.
4) Need to be factory configuration in the sense of suspension and driveline for our use. (Not sure what year LC went to coil front but that is desired).
5) Roofracks, bullbars, etc.... can be sourced so not required (I will surely talk to all of you for some configuration recommendations at a later date).
6) What years and issues to look for and steer away from?

Anything else you constructively recommend!

Yes, I'm a LR guy and looking for some love from the Toyota masters on this site.

Here's a pic of my last trip in Ethiopia and one or our rigs near the South Sudan border.
Overland Journal Plug.jpg

Thank to everyone in advance,

Eric

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You could get into the coil sprung era if you were to import and register in BC Canada. We only need 15 years instead of 25 for importation. There is definetly a gray area on registering here, and then keeping the vehicles out of country, but lots of retired people do it, so you could as well.

Most of the imported LCs here are JDM versions, which means rhd, so that would limit your search to central/south america or Europe/Africa. I'd look to a Europe to try and find one that hasn't been flogged. I looked at a few shippers in Europe and most export via NL. Have a look at: www.exportwagen.eu They use a few different exporters but could put something together for you.

Thanks to both of you for the start. I'll check into both of those options. I guess LHD or RHD doesn't matter much as we will be moving around Africa quite a bit so some of our rigs are either or depending on country.

WEK207

You may also get in touch with Overland Experts (OEX). They import current model Land Cruisers and Hilux pickups for training purposes and may be able to point you in the right direction. If I remember correctly, I believe they were allowed some sort of temporary import (by the EPA, and maybe NHTSA) but had to export them after a certain number of years. They also do quite a bit of training for NGOs and humanitarian groups so they may know some of the hurdles you'll face.

Good luck.

You may also get in touch with Overland Experts (OEX). They import current model Land Cruisers and Hilux pickups for training purposes and may be able to point you in the right direction. If I remember correctly, I believe they were allowed some sort of temporary import (by the EPA, and maybe NHTSA) but had to export them after a certain number of years. They also do quite a bit of training for NGOs and humanitarian groups so they may know some of the hurdles you'll face.

Good luck.

Thanks WEK207, thats a great site. I pushed some questions to them and patiently await a response. That might be a good option for us and allow us to bring something down from Canada.

Cheers,

E

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
There was a mob in Australia that did a hybrid coil conversion to the older 70 series. It retains the leaf spring to hold the axle in place but has a set of coils for the actual suspension. I have one on my 6 wheel 70 series trayback. It makes a lot of difference to the ride and doesn't alter the carrying capacity. Mine was done by Fred's 4WD Conversions in Toowoomba Qld Australia but I think he is no longer in business. Sorry but I am 7500 miles from the vehicle so no photos available at this time.

Elbee

Adventurer
If you work within the aid and NGO world then you should knwo that pretty much any NGO UN truck come from Toyota of Gibraltar. TG USA contact -> https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/vehicle-sales/tgsusa.html Main web site -> https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/index.html

They supply trucks for governments and NGOs and i know they have supplied some to the USA for training purposes, like yours. You can order them straight from Toyota of Gibraltar all kitted out.

Your organization must be really small or new, if you had to hit a forum for that info. The sticker on your LC shows that it is from Toyota of Gibraltar

So you are looking to get a 78 & 76 series?
Also one thing i learned while i was out working in that area. On those engines you may want to bypass the A/C pulley if you are operating deep in the bush, also move the spare off the rear door (roof mounted best option). If you are going through rough country consistently your rear door may not shut or may even pretty much fall off if you go through heavy terrain all day everyday.

Also one of the reasons why LCs are leaf sprung is because it keeps you from going to fast. Inexperienced drivers go to fast and break *******. Just let a local take the truck out, especially if he is alone, he will go way to fast for conditions. I talked to an old bloke that told me when land rovers when to coil all around the trucks got into way more accidents and due to them going faster over rough terrain. I didn't totally believe it until i saw this youtube video a while back https://youtu.be/gnqnIQSe6DA?t=120 , which confirmed it.
I am astounded how local drivers and national staff can break stuff, they can literally figure out how to break a steel ball.

If you need any other help or guidance shoot me a PM, have some good experience in this realm and would love to lend a hand if needed

IMG_8664.jpg IMG_8179.jpg
IMG_7713.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998