Importing Leyland DAF T244 to USA

I just purchased a leyland DAF T244 in the UK and had it painted and restored for me. Im trying to ship this truck back home to Texas and start my build but the shipping process has been much more complicated than I thought it would be. I just found out about a 25% import tax for trucks instead of the usual 2.5% for passenger vehicles. Does anyone know if there is a way around this by registering the vehicle as an RV? Has anyone else had to pay this tax?

Attachments

• Truck Image 0.jpeg
    Truck Image 0.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 37

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
For shipping, talk to Martin and co at IVSS.

For importation - that can be a challenge if the truck is less than 25 years old. Most cannot meet safety/emission regulations. Not that the vehicles are not safe/clean, but simply that they have never been tested and approved.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Interesting. Didn't realize there was still a duty on trucks that old. (Of course, not something that I ever researched.)

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I just purchased a leyland DAF T244 in the UK and had it painted and restored for me. Im trying to ship this truck back home to Texas and start my build but the shipping process has been much more complicated than I thought it would be. I just found out about a 25% import tax for trucks instead of the usual 2.5% for passenger vehicles. Does anyone know if there is a way around this by registering the vehicle as an RV? Has anyone else had to pay this tax?
I think in order to import it as an “rv”, you’d need to have the habitat mounted “permanently” to the truck prior to shipping.
That said, buying a ratty old used caravan and bolting it on would probably satisfy the bureaucrats, although it would also increase your shipping costs, so maybe just paying the 25% is worth it. It’s going to be hard for them to challenge a valuation on a truck like this, so maybe be creative about its value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior