Impressions of the current Frontier Pro-4x?

Markal

The current generation has been out a couple of years now. I've read some reviews and watched some videos and I even test drove a 2023. It's on my list for a variety of reasons for my next adventure vehicle (my reasons for picking it would include price, size, adequate capability for me, I kind of live the V-6 rather than a turbo 4 and others).

Do many people here have one of the new Frontiers? Any issues or major complaints?

FlatlandYankee

I have a 23 with about 17500 miles on it. Only complaint is the godawful adaptive cruise, but Nissan has a brand new tech bulletin to address that. (It would wildly over rev the engine to gain 1-2mph; bulletin NTB24-005 has a fix by reprogramming the transmission.)
Plenty of power, super comfortable, averaging 20-21mpg most of the time. Slowly building mine out for low key overlanding. Aftermarket support is rapidly increasing and there are lots of upgrades available. Only mandatory aftermarket is the rear diff breather mod.

FlatlandYankee

Funny, seems like that's a recurring complaint on basically every vehicle with a comparable feature. I know I'm not a real fan of it having used it in Sprinters.
I actually don't mind it most of the time ... the truck finds rolling hills or curves in the road and loses a couple miles an hour, and instead of dropping one or two gears and gently increasing rpms, it drops like four gears and revs up to 4500-5000rpm.

I have about 15K on my 22 SV 4X4. It's been a good truck, mostly. The engine, trans, driving position, fit and finish are strong points. I bought it to tow a small trailer. The tow mode works well but the truck is let down by narrow mirrors and very low payload. It's had a few electrical gremlins such as random locking of the doors. These trucks are readily available in whatever configuration a buyer might want. No waiting and no price shenanigans.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I actually don't mind it most of the time ... the truck finds rolling hills or curves in the road and loses a couple miles an hour, and instead of dropping one or two gears and gently increasing rpms, it drops like four gears and revs up to 4500-5000rpm.
Sounds like most older Toyotas cruise control- it’s so awful I never use it.

FlatlandYankee

And, update: I had the dealer do the update (NTB24-005) under warranty and the truck drives like it should. Long road trip this past week with no wild over-revs, it just plugged along in appropriate gears.

whododat

How would you consider the back seat area, size wise? Pondering one as well but will have two Rottweilers traveling with us. I am not opposed to building some sort of platform for the back seat area, depending on seat removal being needed or not.

llamalander

The back seat is nearly the exact size of the prior model ('05-21), the seats can either fold flat or latch against the back of the cab, but either way you loose close to a foot.
Not tough to take out, the back attachments are studs protruding from the floor, which make a good attachment point for a platform--but they will probably be taller than you need for that.

Markal

Thanks for the input everybody. In the end, I put a deposit down for a new Tacoma. One test drive in a TRD Off Road and I was hooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior