Impromptu Zion National Park Jaunt

Moody

Needs to get out more
Friday at 6pm, Hilary says to me, "We should have planned to go somewhere this weekend." I replied, "Let's go somewhere right now!" "Even though you have chicken on the grill?" she said. "Yes!" I said, "Let's go to Zion."

So we did it. In haste, we left little Zander's bag at home, so we had to buy some clothes for him, took a dirt road out of the area, near Rockville, caught lots of sun, relaxed.
Very rejuvenating.
DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

Shuttles aren't running yet, so we were able to drive into the main canyon:
DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
A few more:

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

And the dirt road out of Rockville, excellent views of the park:
DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0190.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN0188.jpg

Elvota

Observer
Must be nice to have Zion in your "backyard". One of our favorite places to visit from AZ.

Any more details on the dirt road you took?

Moody

Needs to get out more
Elvota said:
Any more details on the dirt road you took?

Just outside of the park entrance, the small town named Rockville has a turnoff (200 East Street). You can go to a little ghost town, Grafton-or continue on. We didn't stop at Grafton. Essentially takes you from UT 9 to UT 59. Lets you out approx 12 miles from Hurricane.

Elvota

Observer
That must be S of Rockville.... right? I think Gooseberry Mesa is there. We have ridden bikes and camped in that area. I'll have to look at a map to see if I can use that road in the future.

If you MTB, there is a really nice trail network tucked back in there. Not very long, but some good technical sections intermixed with slickrock. Amazing views of Zion to boot.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Nice :D

I was stuck home... still cleaning the mud off my truck from last weeks Swell fiasco.

So where did you run into my old rig?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Zion is amazing. Nice shots of the family.

Good call for a quick getaway weekend. :smiley_drive:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Willman said:
Nice Moody!!

You need to call me on these types of trips!!!

:safari-rig:

I will do so on the next trip. It was SO nice down there...I was -almost- too hot in long pants, but I was in a t-shirt and chacos.:ylsmoke:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Elvota said:
That must be S of Rockville.... right? I think Gooseberry Mesa is there. We have ridden bikes and camped in that area. I'll have to look at a map to see if I can use that road in the future.

If you MTB, there is a really nice trail network tucked back in there. Not very long, but some good technical sections intermixed with slickrock. Amazing views of Zion to boot.
No, the road left right out of Rockville. I saw a few different places I would have loved to camp. We would have brought our bikes along had I gotten off my duff and put a hitch on there. I'd be interested in some gps coord. or location of the bike trail. We are down there quite a bit as my Grandma lives in Cedar City.

Moody

Needs to get out more
kcowyo said:
Zion is amazing. Nice shots of the family.

Good call for a quick getaway weekend. :smiley_drive:

Thanks man! We will be doing the family thing again with the Father's Day Special. :elkgrin:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Moody said:
A few more:

DSCN0110.jpg

QUOTE]
That has to be one of the most amazing places on earth. Looks great with all of the water flowing. Looks COLD! I guess this wouldn't be the time of year to go hiking up a wash. Brrrrrr! Thanks for sharing these.
There is the CAN'T miss Huber wash just outside of the park. Its a national treasure... :D
34f8159d.jpg

Hahaha!
Tim HUBER. ;)

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Sometimes these spur-of-the-moment trips are the best. Having Zion within range of such a trip is very cool!

Quite inspiring... I may need to do this next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12