In need of Dodge 12v owners opinions

steelheadbum

Adventurer
I have recently found a very clean 1994 12v auto reg cab long box with 170k that has been very well cared for and I believe I can purchase the truck for only 5,500 to 6k. I have no real need for it but for that price how can I go wrong? Here are some pics please confirm that I should buy this awesome truck...
3a2u7e5a.jpg

udypydyg.jpg

Thanks
Buck
The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Lol cmon my E350 7.3 is a very reliable rig...let's not go there

The Redneck Mexican

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would buy that for $5500. It looks very clean. You would love driving it, although it probably won't be as quick as your 7.3, they are really great engines. Have you seen it in person? I would find out if the kdp has been tabbed, and when the transmission was last overhauled. Has it had any frontend work done?

If you don't buy it, pm me the sellers info as I know another member here who might be interested.

hackster

Adventurer
Wonderful looking truck too!! I am a sucker for a good looking standard cab.

Having owned a 7.3 and three cummins now, I would still own a powerstroke for their reliability but in terms of simplicity and power potential the Cummins is where its at.

Check the KDP. It is not hard at all to tab the dowel so dont really worry too much about it for purchasing but make sure it happens right away.

Frontend components, mostly steering gear get loose on them pretty quick with bigger than stock tires so check that. In addition to the tranny rebuild that redthies recommends checking into, I would also inquire about the lift pump and the rest of the fuel system and see if it has ever had the pump changed out. If not, plan on doing that soon.

Great looking rig too.... I would buy that for $5,500.00 in a heartbeat.

Sean

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
$5500 is a good price if you are after a standard cab truck - but be wary of that transmission. At 170K, you may be looking at a rebuild before too long. To have any of the big builders do it right, plan on spending a few thousand for it. Also, check the casting number on the block - "53" is the one to avoid, but I don't remember what years had the problems (water jackets were prone to cracking).

huntsonora

Explorer
I sold my 94 that had 250,000 miles on it for 10,500. I would buy that so fast it would make your head spin. If you don't somebody else will and fast at that price

huntsonora

Explorer
In fact, if you don't buy it let me know and I'll show you how fast it would be relocated to Colorado :victory:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Also, check the casting number on the block - "53" is the one to avoid, but I don't remember what years had the problems (water jackets were prone to cracking).

99% of 53 blocks were 24 valve (98.5-01), with only a few 98 12 valves using 53s. But, for some reason, the 12 valve 53s don't tend to crack, so your golden either way!

contento

Observer
Easy flip.

Other than the tranny, I'd check for turbo shaft play and then post it on CL for at least $8500 assuming it's 4wd.

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Well I drove the truck today, good news its not a 53, it did have some front end play, bad oil leak, and the tranny shifts a little hard. The owner was very helpful...I was going to have the truck checked out tomorrow but after talking to the wife I realised I have way to many projects. The owner did agree to take 5500.00 here is the link
http://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/3922308980.html
buck

The Redneck Mexican

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Buying truck for 4275.00 and yes delivering it!!
Couldn't pass that up

The Redneck Mexican

hackster

Adventurer
What a friggin Steal!!!

If I knew it was in Washington and you did not pick it up I would buy this in a heartbeat. Nice find man, shouldbe a great rig and a smoking price.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears