In Response to the Congo Thread: A Technical Discussion

Kilroy

Adventurer
There are those who talk, and those who do.

It's amazing the amount spin many in this thread have put on this very accurate statement.

It's not that those that do won't talk about what they've done, thankfully they do.

But the fact is a combination of the fear of the unknown, and or a willingness to commit time or finances to the detriment of other desires (because few of us have unlimited amounts of either) keeps most people doing more than talking about what they would “like” to do. The extreme example are a few poor souls in the world who are afraid to venture out the front door of their house. From there you get people who are afraid of many things: from building a house, from investing in property, to tearing down a wall in a house, to leaving shore to sail around the world, to traveling to another country ( much less drive through it and camp!), to starting a business, to publishing a magazine, to jumping out of a airplane, the list is endless.

Luckily there are those who pave the way and provide examples for those of us who have made it to sitting on the fence but aren't ready to commit, but with encouragement might.

Fact is, there are some of us on EP that will never begin to attempt what others on EP have. For one, I’m thankful the doers talk about what they have done.

There are talkers and doers. I suggest talkers concentrate on learning from doers and leave the criticism of doers to other doers. Except that doers respect what it takes to make the big step and are unlikely to criticize.

Sorry for the ramble.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Truly, what he cut out was a total thread hi-jack that, as LaOutbackTrail succinctly put it, was intended to bring levity to the discussion to try to get folks to NOT take themselves too seriously. My post was one of those trimmed out, as it was about the judicious application of a wiffle ball bat, and absolutely was of no part of the actual discussion of the Congo, winches, etc.

- Richard
And by gosh, I loved it....made me laugh....made my time here fun when as you said things were a bit too serious. Unfortunately the mods don't seem to have the same sense of good old fun....they should be smacked w/ a flippty flop!:sombrero:So in the end who is taking themselves to seriously? I think I know.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I am really looking forward to all the great trips reports that will be posted soon by all the people who seem to think they know better.
My rule is to try and lead by example, and in this case that would mean actually doing a trip like this.
So for all of you who love to rip on others, please let us know when you are leaving and when we can start enjoying your trips.
Lance I'm 63, disabled, facing major surgery that I hope to survive next month and will not be back on any trail for up to 4 months after. But I have been doing this for 50 years ( and I'm not even expo certified). I have not been to the Congo nor will I ever even if I had the chance as it just sounds masochistic at this time_maybe when I'm 70 and things change over there:sombrero:). I have been all over the western USA and into Mex. and Cananda many times. I think some of my thoughts are valid both in how to treat folks in other places and how to equip for longer then a week.
Even tho I have taught in university and community college I also have done....I have always resented that 'those who do' line, yet I take it in the non understanding vain that it comes from.
By the way I don't feel I'm ripping on anyone....just expressing my thoughts on the matter...much like so many folks are raving about the trip and using the word 'Epic'. All just as valid.:coffeedrink:

Toyotero

Explorer
I posted this in the trip thread, but it might be more appropriate here:

Could someone convert the interview to an MP4 or WMV file (There is the option in the webex software; file, convert format) and host it somewhere? Vimeo perhaps? I'm having an impossible time downloading the presentation; I suspect it's network related... Claro Nicaragua leaves much to be desired as an ISP..

Regards,

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My posts were the majority of what were trimmed.
******** chat- yes,
Levity- yes,
brought down the level of seriousness - yes
Brian's ok with his posts being edited - yes.

"Like a sand sculpture in the night."

This thread was derailing into a conversation that included what our Congo adventurors could have done "better". This was not an appropriate conversation, and since I lack mod status, I used the most powerful weapon I have: E-humor.

By all means, continue a frank, honest, less ego-centric discussion. Don't worry about my posts. :)

And for the record, I think that a locker in the rear would have added a lot of traction, and probably would have changed their ability to negotiate "bogholes".... but with such weak axle/hub bolts in the rear, I wonder if that particular weakness would have reared its head sooner.

Honestly, having had the failures they did, I think the travelling community is better off. I know a lot of people here give the 70 series cruiser a lot of credit for its simplicity and robust design. Here's a clear difficiency(sp?) that could easily be remedied by an aftermarket set of fasteners or new hub design. One always has to think systemically, though: If this part becomes strong, what then would break? Maybe something far more difficult. ( E.G. Maybe carrying an extra set of hub bolts, an easy out and a cordless drill, isn't so bad, huh?)

Last edited:
Has anyone considered the fact that their breakage issues may have been avoided had they not tried to push start the truck so many times? Think about the forces implied to push start a diesel engine! So, maybe a winch, and lockers wouldnt have been necessary.... but better batteries may have proved most beneficial. The number of times they were stuck, any battery would have fried had they used the winch every time.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Has anyone considered the fact that their breakage issues may have been avoided had they not tried to push start the truck so many times? Think about the forces implied to push start a diesel engine! So, maybe a winch, and lockers wouldnt have been necessary.... but better batteries may have proved most beneficial. The number of times they were stuck, any battery would have fried had they used the winch every time.

yeah, I honestly think this road was a "worst case scenario" for any passenger car.

I think it's a testament to taking the simplest, most robust vehicle (or version of a vehicle) that you can, and just stay on top of maintenence.

shovel
strap
maxtraxx/waffle boards
come-along

Again prove to be the most useful, reliable kit you can bring. Amazing that pioneering tools haven't changed much since the advent of motorized vehicles.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
For what it's worth, my vehicle modifications are being done so that I am prepared for just such a road. I carry the tools to fix everything and will have a welder, winch and other recovery equipment, and basic spares like belts and fuses. Traveling with spare driveshafts and other large heavy parts is silly.

That's me. The travelers in question chose a different level of preparedness. If that caused them grief, that's their problem and shouldn't matter to anyone else. Just because they chose to be less prepared than I would be doesn't mean they should be criticized. I'm sure that someone in a $300,000 expedition camper with espresso machine and granite counters might consider my level of preparedness foolish. Who cares? I think they deserve a lot of respect for having the adventure.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Farm style jack with a hand winch setup might be a low cost/high work option

Looking at the Tirfor Griphoist style hand winch and seeing that the biggest one is rated for only 8,000lbs and weighs 51 lbs (not counting the steel wire rope) and cost $300 to $1500 depending on quality and capacity. I can see why they spent money on travel instead.

When I really look at the money vs rig argument I have to agree that it is far better to spend the money on travel than gear. And I am a real gear addict, just look at my last 2 vehicles (overbuilt FJ Cruiser and now the Disabled Explorers Sportsmobile).

Disabled Explorers as a non-profit stresses to folks to be prepared and have the right gear according to their ability (and a bit more for others to help with) and location. However I always say that the Spot Messenger should be the first buy so they can get out there (and get help if needed) rather than spend all their time & money on building a rig first. Going with better equipped friends helps also.

And that brings up another point, maybe instead of spending a ton of money on self recovery gear it would just be easier and more fun to always try and travel with someone...that is a tough one but an interesting way to make new friends.

And that brings up another point, maybe instead of spending a ton of money on self recovery gear it would just be easier and more fun to always try and travel with someone...that is a tough one but an interesting way to make new friends.

Yep.
My truck.
46344_568734874211_62002887_32613515_7014482_n.jpg

Preferred Travel Buddy's truck:
75692_576937446191_62002887_32770799_7232892_n.jpg

Why spend my money when Leary already has a fully kitted truck to tug me out of situations like this...
75393_576986233421_62002887_32772004_2082632_n.jpg

:peepwall:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78