In Response to the Congo Thread: A Technical Discussion

rezdiver

Adventurer
4 wheels, a steering wheel, food and a blanket.
preparedness is important, overpreparedness is a waste of time.
this was a great story and a great adventure, and if it was me i would not have changed a thing. There is absolutely no way anyone can judge this trip without actually travelling in their steps. some are minimalists some are hoarders. its a personal choice that only works for you and what you want out of your adventure.

I hate the mentality of this website....

If you do not have a HUGE list of "requirements" your vehicle of choice is not appropriate, capable, or prepared to go where you want to go.
As it has been made clear, had they spent the money on that winch... they would have taken a month off of their journey. Lockers? Oh theres another month. Adding up all of those "required" things took time off of their journey. In the end... did they make it out of the Congo? YES! So what does that tell me?

A) they were prepared.
B) They had enough testicular fortitude to attempt it.

I tend to air on the side of confidence than caution. That is my style.

I find it childish, the need for this thread. Sure it is a logical topic but unnecessary to debate. Why do I feel it is unnecessary? They took a 4x4 Landcruiser with mud tires, sand ladders, and shovels on dirt tracks for 10,000s of miles.... instead of a Toyota Corolla.

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Personally, I was impressed with their attitude. They kept going forward. The vehicle had problems, there were some low points, and they dealt with it. I wonder how many others on this forum could handle the challenges. I've seen a lot of people chuck a trip over far less.

VikingVince

Explorer
As it has been made clear, had they spent the money on that winch... they would have taken a month off of their journey. Lockers? Oh theres another month. Adding up all of those "required" things took time off of their journey. [/B]

In retrospect, that did not prove to be true. By Frederick's own admission, the cost of parts and paying for local labor cost them "far more" than if they had bought a winch in the first place. They lost their "extra month" to breakdowns, getting unstuck, and waiting for repairs.

But that's what they learned in hindsight. I don't fault them whatsoever for taking off in the vehicle they had...in fact, I applaud them.

Rot Box

Explorer
And yet you read on........enthralled just the same. Yet no?:sombrero:

Correct sir! :bike_rider:

To the op: Its up to you to decide what is a critical spare and what is not as everyone will have their own opinion on the matter. I do not blame the crew for not having a spare differential--it could just as easily been a spun main bearing, steering components, transmission or an injector pump that would have left them in as bad or worse of shape. There are a lot of items (especially in our modern EFI/IFS vehicles) that will leave you dead in the water and you can't carry a spare everything especially in an already loaded down 70.

They chose to not have a winch and they understood what that meant not having one. I would trade my winch for a month and a half long adventure any day of the week! If only it was that easy :coffeedrink:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
such as?
Make us a list...
They had sand ladders, shovels, jacks and were able to self recover many many times.

So not to pick on you but it would be good to hear some details beyond just "they were missing some basic items"

efuentes

Explorer
You have to take into consideration how hostile people are on the area you are traveling.

I tend to over prepare sometimes for the simple reason that spending a night on some of the trails I go to could mean losing my vehicle and/or life (With no authorities to help me), if that means I have to buy a winch or run oversize drive-train to avoid being broke down in the wrong place at the wrong time I will do it, even if it makes that particular trip less adventurous.

For me the best prep possible is just to take a buddy in another car just like yours and carry some spares, its a policy that has worked for a long time.

Saludos from bandit over-run Mexico.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Oh boy....

There is no unbreakable vehicle. If you are tempted into building super tough vehicle that is suppose to stand up to anything you will most likely be overweight and underpowered.

You cannot carry enough spare parts to fix everything. You cannot carry enough tool to fix everything. The ideal vehicle is built simple and rugged with parts that are common enough to be found, made, or modified on the road.

Logistics and time are always the determining factor in expeditions. You can't run the vehicle or your own body on nothing. Fuel, food, and water only go so far. You need to manage this in your trip planning, you need to have an idea of where you are going, how long it will take, and how many resources. Then you need a plan B, and a plan C at least.

The number one problem I see in the off-road community is the lack to fix even small mechanical problems. I also think that most modern vehicles, while being very reliable, slide down the slippery slope of 'unfixable' in the field if something DOES go wrong. I like my mechanically injected diesel, manual transmission, locking hubs, full floating axles, lever shifted transfer case, etc. I feel simple is better.

There are some very good vehicles out there, but non of them are perfect.

efuentes

Explorer
The number one problem I see in the off-road community is the lack to fix even small mechanical problems. I also think that most modern vehicles, while being very reliable, slide down the slippery slope of 'unfixable' in the field if something DOES go wrong. I like my mechanically injected diesel, manual transmission, locking hubs, full floating axles, lever shifted transfer case, etc. I feel simple is better.

There are some very good vehicles out there, but non of them are perfect.

I agree, best one is a simple one.

78Bronco

Explorer
such as?
Make us a list...
They had sand ladders, shovels, jacks and were able to self recover many many times.

So not to pick on you but it would be good to hear some details beyond just "they were missing some basic items"

I am not going to nit pick. They completed the journey and lived. I just feel that having the ability to self recover your vehicle from a mud hole is an important aspect on a journey of this calibre. Tirfir or come along would be a "basic" self recovery tool. A winch is a luxury item.

Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
So sad. So very sad. Someone completes an amazing life changing journey and we feel the need to pick apart the minutia.

Like others have said it boils down to the factthatthere are two types of people:
1) those that enjoy the preparation forthright journey(andnever actuallymake any jour ey but have a street queen vehicle)
2) those that actually take the journey.

If in hindsight I could tear apart every journey or exploration they would all have faults. In that vain mankind was unprepared to go tothe poles, climb everest or discover new lands. In hindsight there has not been a single journey that was "adequately" prepared for, this is due to imperfect information. You know what happened to F&J, you know exactly what challenges they faced and what obstacles, going into this they had no clue.

I see people like F&J and all the other relevant posters leaving this forum as we turn a beautiful journey into a discussion of their unpreparedness and lambast them.

I should never leave my driveway since last month my diff grenaded a mile down the road. Better bring a welder and a blacksmith just in case...

-Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998