In the beginning...

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
This is the start of my long journey and build. There is a story, perhaps, to be found here but it will have to flesh itself out as I go...
I will start with the abrigged version if I may?

As these first words are written I am sitting in Northern Iraq. Proudly serving as a member of the US Army has allowed me to see a good deal of unusual places in the world, this one included. While I am normally stationed in Texas I have recently found out that eventually I will be "moving" to Germany.
:wings:
With that in mind I have set myself on a course of planning, purchasing, building, and wheeling a Jeep to bring to Eurpoe with me. Not being one of conventional tastes or *ahem* normal people logic I have strayed from the intellegent path of a more modern platform in hopes of having a unique vehicle to enjoy and explore with. Having never lived in Europe for any length of time I may find this an interesting (to say the least) endevor.
I am starting with a 1983 Jeep Scrambler (CJ-8) that I purchased sight unseen while using friends to assist with intel and photos and testdrives and money laun....er, payment. Heehee, JK. But this was a hard thing to do and I must admit that I am glad it is over for the most part....Now onto the real challenge! The planning and build...eventually.
I will be using a portion of my leave to go pick up my new-to-me Expo rig to be sometime in a couple months. That will give me seat time to give it a shake down run from Colorado to Texas. I can evaluate needs and wants as I go but I have a good while to plan and gather parts. Hopefully this works out well as the actual build, my "time on wrenches'' will likely be far shorter than I wish. There will just not be that much time between leaving Iraq to when it must get shipped to Germany to go to crazy. With that in mind here is what I am starting with:
-'83 Scrambler
-AMC 360 that runs well but is bone stock including all choking emissions junk.
-T5 weak link 5 speed tranny
-Dana 300 t-case
-Stock Dana 30 front axle, "Upgraded" AMC model 20 (turd) axle, both are open diffs with unknown gears.
-Body has a little rust but is over all very good condition
-Full length factory Hard top
-Most everything on this Jeep is factory stock with the exception of the engine which was professionally swapped in back in 1994.

The jeep runs and drives very well and even looks halfway decent (from 50 feet or so). Looks are not a major concern with me as I believe form always should follow function...but it doesn't have to be an unfair race! ;)

I will end this itteration of my "build thread" having not built anything but offered a precursor to what is to come. Be advised that this will be a long and slow process up to the point of actually wrenching on anything. At which point it may become a mad frenzy of rapid fire assults! I will do my best to figure out the picture posting stuff but I can't promist to much there...I am better with a hammer and a welder than I will ever be with a computer..!
Stay tuned for more updates as time allows...
:box:

dirty Bakers

Conservative
First off Thank you for serving our country and Fighting for freedom.
the CJ8
You might even consider the shackle reversal kit available for it. Also do some research on off-road clubs in germany, they can shoot you in the right direction for parts, shipping, registration, trails, freindship, and shops/tools.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Thanks for serving.

I would suggest for your 360:

summit racing 8600 cam
upgrading the cap and iginition
removing all the emissions crap
2.5" exhaust single not duals
Jeep Wagoneer D44 Axles front and rear

the summit cam is cheap, and works really well. it really wakes up the 360. the stock manifolds flow pretty well. if you can afford to upgrade the carb with throttle body injection. its fairly easy to set up.

i have about 300 miles on my 360 rebuild with summit cam. i'm still running the 2 barrel Motorcraft carb, but the engine definately has much more snort. my highway mileage isn't very bad either when i use cruise control. i just got about 17 mpg today going 70. not bad for a 360, th400, full-time four wheel drive, 3.07 gears and 31" tires.

i have a 78 wagoneer which is similar in drivetrain.

nbleak21

Adventurer
Ah, I too am planning a build from Iraq... I'm leaning more towards the XJ for the room, but I have to maintain some drivability for the Misses, too (we have a little one on the way!)

I've always been a fan of the Scrambler, and have even thought of extending the bed of my wrangler for a more scrambleresque functionality.

Good Luck on the build, I look forward to seeing the progress!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
A short reply this time...

Sorry guys,
Its been a little busy around here the last few days. Thank you all so much for the kind words and appreciation...Not nessicary but thank you! I love this job...usually:REOutShootinghunter
I'm a little low on the sleep-meter so I will just tap on a couple thoughts relating to your suggestions.
-D Bakers... I found this interesting kit (Dave's Customs Unlimited- FWAK

http://davescustoms4wd.com/mm5/merc...=DCU&Product_Code=FWAKIT&Category_Code=FWAKIT

while looking about and one of the things I like about it is that it does NOT reverse the shackles. Normally, I have had good luck with SR kits but for this build I am doing some different stuff. And the only flaw I have found in the reversed setup is that the tires like to "cycle" towards the body instead of away. I will explain more as I flesh out my ideas/intent/and hopeful goals...
-Get lost...I agree but I'm not sure the cam will be in the cards for me this go 'round. I do believe all the emission junk will find a new home on the floor, exhaust is needed anyway (for a couple reasons) and I prefer one pipe to two myself. And a fuel injection kit is in the mix as well...
-Bleak...Hey Brotha! As the saying goes "its a small world but I'd hate to have to paint it!" LOL! This is my forst time in the sandbox with much Internet access and my current job usually (oops, prob just jinxed myself) allows me some free time when I can "multi task". The Scramblers are a good, unusual option. I've wheeled almost every Jeep imaginable as long as its nothing newer than '95.I have built and wheeled several XJs (and an MJ) and have always felt they were a fantastic platform provided one understands the differences between a "framed vs Unibody" vehicle...And when Jeep killed off the 4.0 I began to feel abandoned...Best engine ever IMHO! Hit me up for Qs if you like...I'm no expert but I have a lot of not so hairbrained ideas too..
-Overland...Thanks for the TFI link...I'm a little torn between the TFI and HEI to be honest. Also, I have a brand new DUI back home collecting dust. But I may go with the AFI injection system which comes with a dizzy too...? Hmm. Nothing set in stone as of yet but we shall have to see which way this goes.

Sorry for bailing on everyone this time...I will try and put out some more interesting stuff tomorrow or the next day, time permitting. But having had a very early, BOOMING wakeup call and a long day of general silliness...I'm bushed. Hope to see all later...Cheers and remember...

1x1_Speed_Craig

Good to see you over here (in addition to cj-8.com), jeepdreamer, and thanks again for your service! :sombrero:

What size tires are you planning on running? I didn't see you mention it, so I'm not sure why Dana 44s front & rear (which would require outboarding) are being suggested without knowing the whole picture. If you're only going up to 33"-ish tires (or smaller), it's overkill IMO. If you're stuck on a 44, go with a stock wide-track D44 from an '86 CJ-7, or throw a set of 1-piece axles in the AMC 20.

If you're going bigger than that for tires, the front/rear Dana 44 suggestion has more validity.

Craig

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Zeroing to a "known" range...

Hey 1speed.
Good to see you here as well...I seem to spend all my free time between these two and CL!:sombrero:
I guess its about time I inverst a bit more information about this since folks have been kind enough to offer thoughts but are guessing since I have failed to offer appropriate data...
So allow me to attempt to eliminate some of that while I dial in my sights to a hopeful direction.
Not being Donald Trump or Bill Gates sure does put a crimp in the stuff one can buy for a project. And while that can be a bummer it has allowed me to be creative in sourcing and aquiring parts.To say that I ''make do" is a fair assesment. I am an avid junkyard scrounger, Craigslist buzzard, and all around practitioner of creative functionality...
I have been aquiring parts and peices for several years(?) perhaps. Not with this specific build in mind but mostly due to finding something I knew was useful at a time when the price was right and my wallet wasn't developing dustbunnies inside. Here are a couple of the things I have that may or may not find their way into/onto the Scrambler...
-Dodge NV4500 5 speed tranny...Stumbled across this in a junkyard from a recently rearended gas truck. less than 40k on it and I pulled it out, paid my moolah...and grunted it into the back for the ride home. Note* these things are HEAVY!* But since it came out of a low mile 1 ton truck I figure it will be a great inprovment over they ticking bomb of a T5 currently residing behind the AMC 360...
-'77 Jeep Wagoneer Narrow Trac front Dana 44.
-Howell fuel injection kit from a Dadge 360 (may have to be reflashed...not sure?) May skip it since its used and questionable and go with an AFI kit..?
-Edelbrock performer intake
-Edelbrock "shorty" headers for the AMC
-Aluminum radiator
-DUI HEI dizzy...may run this or the dizzy that comes with the AFI if I go that route..?
-I'm sure there are a plethoria of this and that which I can't remember off the top of my head but all things are subject to change...

So what am I thinking? Bulid wise, what do I expect this will become at the end of the day...so to speak.?. Well, that is hard to nail down but here is the roughest of my thoughts as I sit here now. Bare (Bear...BEAR???) in mind that my original thought was to "shop" some of this work out due to time constraints. I'm having...uh, difficulties with getting that to happen so as of now I am mostly resigned to having to spin all the wrenches myself. Not that I mind I just am very afraid I won't have the time and or this will snowball into something far too involved.

Starting from the good platform of a good running and driving CJ8 (I can fix THAT! :Mechanic: I intend to end up with a dependable wheeler that serves as a DD/expo rig while I am in Germany. I'm planning on running either 35 or 37" meats... but no bigger and no smaller..I'm partial to BFGs but if I step up to 37s I'm gonna have a much more limited selection brand wise. And while there are 37" KM2s...I think the smallest wheel is a 17?
Anyhow...gotta make whatever I run fit, right? Enter, hopefully..a Rubicon Express 4.5" ED kit. Run it SUA with a 1" body lift and some "tweaking" and even 37s will work. Just have to use my head. The nice thing about the RE kit route is I won't (or at least shouldn't) need some fancy hysteer setup. Just a good DPA and a steering box brace.
Axles...well, as anyone thats ever been near any 80's model Jeeps can attest, On an average night you can literally HEAR the rear AMC20 falling appart. They do this naturally I think..? LOL! And while the rear axle in mine had some big $$ waste...er, spent on it (Warn full float kit). I consider it someone elses turd-polishing and I won't rely on it. So a new, heavy dutier (?) axle is going to come into play. What and from where will be based on several things but I would list the candidates as a FSJ rear Dana 44 or Model 20 or perhaps a Dana 44 from an Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport...Whatever gets the nod will fing appropriate gears and a locker.
The front axle will be the 77 Waggy I already have. A little cleaning and send it to a shop for gears/locker install then bolt it in...ish.
I do need to collect some more information from a shop I just learned about in Colorado. Its called Dave's Customs Unlimited and they make/sell something that may prove to make my life much easier and this build faster. Its an Outboarding kit that includes pretty much everything (including a bumper and winch mount) and what I like is that it is not a shackle reversal system. I have run many SR kits...and I enjoy them. But for this one I think if the 37s get the wink then the natural motion of the axle as it cycles will make clearence harder...There is welding involved in the kit but all the head scratching has mostly been removed. Allows me to run my NT Waggy axle real easy. Now if only I could get them to return my email!!! HArd to call 'em when I'm :26_16_2:
There will be a multitude of thoughts, ideas, and changes that may happen even before this build really begins to happen in the flesh. But I am hoping to take advantag of my time now to think it all through, plan, and gather needed items. Hopefully at least any potential stumbling blocks will be avoided this way and I will be toodling accross Europe in my new Expo-Jeep...Guess it will need a name...Anybody?
Attached a couple pics as it sits currently before I lay hands on it...:chef:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Quickie..

I've been staring at these pictures and thinking...hmm. This would be a cool deal if someone made a similar one for my Scrambler...:coffeedrink:

Attachments

• commandoCAMPERclosed.jpg
    commandoCAMPERclosed.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 34
  • commandoCAMPERopen.jpg
    commandoCAMPERopen.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 41

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
A quickie update...

Well,
I have been on leave the last two weeks and I can't express how nice it has been being home in the states! We really do have the greatest country on earth!
This last week has been spent toodling along in my new (to me) Jeep Scrambler from Grand Junction Colorado towards El Paso Tx. Sort of a mini adventure.
Just wanted to let everyone know I am still moving forward.:smiley_drive:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I'm sure bad at this...sorry.

Sorry all,
Been a lot going on and many miles traveled. I'm now back "home" at Ft. Bliss Tx safe and sound once again. I have been wrapped up in all the normal requirements related to re-deploying so my Internet time has been a little low. I have made some progress on the Expo-8 and I will try and add some pics.
All previously aquired parts have been gathered with the exception of the most important one...my front axle. So in the interum I am tackling all the little projects within my ability and as free time permits.
I found a guy local here to bend me some steel to add some "armor" to the rockers and the corners so that has been where most of my attention has gone lately. Also trying to repair where the Jeep was hit pretty hard in its past life and not really repaired to any real standard. I'm no body man so I am learning as I go and trying to at least make it better...haha. Here is a few pics and I'll try and keep better on top of this as I make actual progress. Bare with me and thanks for all the kind words and well wishing!!

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Forum statistics