In the Market for a 80 Series

Gabby53e

New to the forum and haven't owned a Toyota since the 1980's. I have started the search for a overland vehicle to start exploring southwest colorado trails. I stumbled across a 80 Series this week.

What's a reasonable offer for an excellent condition '97 40th Anniversary model with 170,000 miles that is fairly stock (with factory lockers)? KBB said $5800.00, but owner is asking $12K because 'it is a rare model'. Does that model really carry that type of premium? Would I be better off finding a non-anniversary model and putting that extra money back into it? I will be taking a look at the vehicle hopefully this weekend. Thanks for any insight.

tarditi

Explorer
KBB and other guides are usually way off on TLCs. I'm not saying it's worth $12k (only you could determine that), but it's very likely worth way more than $5800.

Box Rocket

There's a wide range of prices on these but $12k is pretty high unless it is literally flawless with no tears in the leather (which can be common), no leaks, and all things in excellent working condition. Locked 40th Anniversary models are somewhat rare I suppose, relatively speaking but IMO are not valued at more than double "market" value except in very rare cases.
All that said, the mileage on this one is pretty low for one of these trucks. Value of a vehicle all comes down to what someone is willing to pay for it. About 10 years ago I sold my FJ40 cruiser that was in excellent condition. There are examples of those selling for 6 figures these days because people are willing to pay it. At the time I sold mine, there was still high demand but nowhere near what it is today. My truck in the condition it was in probably had a "market" value of about $14-16K. It sold for $26K because the buyer was willing to pay that.
80's are becoming more sought after lately so they're value is rising but they are still very affordable. Without seeing any photos or being able to see this truck firsthand I would say that it is realistically worth something in the ballpark of $8-10K. I'm confident you could probably find similar locked 40th Anniversary editions in that range. The variable becomes the mileage and overall condition. As has been said, only you can decide if it's worth the premium to you. Personally, if I was determined to get an 80 and I found one in exceptional condition, I'd likely be ok with paying a premium if it looked like it had been maintained so well that I could probably avoid (for a while) many of the common issues of Cruisers of this age.
Also remember that Colorado is an area where these trucks are very popular and prices reflect that. Here in Utah, its similar. When I bought my first 80 I purchased it from Texas because it was a few thousand dollars cheaper than a nearly identical truck locally.
Good luck.

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
if it's really nice with maint history, he probably isn't to far off. Then again, I'd let mine go for a smidgen over that and it's not exactly stock...

Gabby53e

Thanks Adam and Dustin,

I'll be getting a chance to look it over in a few hours and take it for a drive. I saw it briefly at a stoplight and scrambled to copy down the number before the light changed so this will be my first real look at it. Will post some pix after.

It looks like the 40th Anniversary package was just two tone leather, special paint option and a few badges, so nothing really special about it from a capability standpoint. I have seen quite a few 80 series in the 6-8K range, so a couple of grand for ARBs and I am just as good as this one. We will see.

thanks

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I paid 12k for mine last july but it had exactly 100k on it and was a flawless one owner garage kept all records truck. I bought it sight unseen and flew out to get it. It had cloth interior and NO LOCKERS. It all comes down to what it's worth to you. To me leather is a negative Because you will be replacing it unless owner already did.I have seen several for sale at 18k w lockers and 150k miles. I probably would have paid 15k for mine if it had lockers but that's figuring the cost of adding ARB units to mine and it had 70k less miles then the one your looking at. Good luck

Gabby53e

OilLeak.jpg Not sure if this pix will come through, but overall a good looking rig. Sure, a few normal cosmetic blemishes, a section of leather stitching coming undone, but nothing out of the ordinary. Test ride was good, smooth ride, no noises and everything electrical worked. The owner did mention a small oil leak that still needs to be addressed (pix). He really thinks he has a collector item worth more to him than me at this point. Still under consideration though

peneumbra

Explorer
We paid close to $12K for our '97 without lockers but with heavy 4" lift, reservoir shocks, a bunch of other cool stuff, and 170K miles. Very clean, everything worked, high-end stereo... so around here (AZ et al) a lot of people are looking for them and they go for top dollar.

40-Overlander

I purchased my 80 from a dealership that was asking $9995. I was able to negotiate it down to about $5500 out the door. One previous owner that had taken it to the dealership for all the maintenance. Within the last 20K miles it had the radiator and head gasket replaced. Suspension was shot, leaky sun roof, belts, distributor o-ring, typical seat track issue, P0401/EGR, and chased a bad ground wire for the 3rd brake light. Mileage was at 207K and my favorite...lockers. I've invested around $2000 to fix the issues and couldn't be happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears