Indel B 12v question

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Recently purchased an Indel B fridge. Works awesome on 120 and 12v. However, when plugged into the 12v extension I put together to get power to the back storage area of my jeep, I get and E1 almost immediately... really like 30 seconds after plugging. 12v works fine when plugged in with just stock cord to stock 12v power source with just stock cord. I am thinking it is either my extension is somehow not right or it is too long from power source to fridge when using the extension.

My goal is to be able to plug fridge in and have in the storage area of the jeep. LEt me know what you think my next steps should be.

Thanks.

John

mbuckner

Adventurer
Could be the extension is not heavy enough gauge and you get voltage drop for the distance to
the back.

Mike

JGBB04

Observer
E1 is the error code for low voltage cut off. probably too much voltage drop w/ your extension, need make sure the wire is sized right for the length you need to run.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Indeed fridges are very picky about voltage drop.
Best bet is to put an auxiliary 12V socket(s) in the back where the fridge will be (wired with #10 AWG straight to the battery). The higher voltage (less amount of drop) will allow the fridge compressor to run cooler/more efficiently as well (extending somewhat how long it can run before your battery has to be recharged).

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks guys. I am just learning the 12v thing, but I figured this was going to be the case. We leave tomorrow for a trip, so I guess I know what I will be doing tonight after work:)

I appreciate the help.

John

Maxcustody

Explorer
John mine did the same thing plugged into the rear outlet of the jeep. Wire is too thin and not really made to run anything like the fridge. I hard wired it with 10 gauge and power pole connectors directly to the battery. I have not had any more issues....see you Friday.

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

B

BPD53

I am responding to this thread in case anyone had the issues I had with my fridge:

I had similar issues with my Indel B fridge. I went so far as to add a dedicated hard line (10 gauge approx 8 feet) with an Anderson Plug to help the E1 error. I made sure the low voltage disconnect switch was on the lowest setting as well. Everytime I started my truck I would get the E1 error and the fridge would be shutdown. I discovered that no matter what I did it would shutdown everytime I started the truck. I was frustrated. I then discovered that if I started that truck the fridge would "shutdown" with the E1 error, but after 60 seconds the fridge would "restart" automatically and work as before. I just came to accept that my fridge shuts off when I start my truck. (I know people are wondering if my battery was good enough for the task.) I am using a brand new Lifeline Starting/Deep Cycle battery. The truck starter simply drags the voltage down too far to keep the fridge running. If you are having trouble at when starting you are in the same boat I was in. I hope this helps anyone who had my issues. Sorry to add this to your thread because your issue sounds different than my own.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I will be wiring tonight with 10ga wire, through a fused distribution box, to the rear of the jeep. I will still have to run it on a 12v power outlet, as I can find no local source for Andersen plugs, or any similar type of connector, that I can tell anyway. The 12v outlet will be wired straight to the 10ga wire and grounded to the jeep.

BPD53 - That was not the case for me last night, but I will evaluate after making these changes later today.

John

Maxcustody

Explorer
I will be wiring tonight with 10ga wire, through a fused distribution box, to the rear of the jeep. I will still have to run it on a 12v power outlet, as I can find no local source for Andersen plugs, or any similar type of connector, that I can tell anyway. The 12v outlet will be wired straight to the 10ga wire and grounded to the jeep.

BPD53 - That was not the case for me last night, but I will evaluate after making these changes later today.

John
I ran into the same thing with connections, I had to order them online. I know you are in a bit of a time crunch for this week, but hopefully it will work until you can do a more permanent solution.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I ran into the same thing with connections, I had to order them online. I know you are in a bit of a time crunch for this week, but hopefully it will work until you can do a more permanent solution.

Yeah, I am guessing this will work out and then I can regroup after this week and rewire the fridge 12v wire, jeep connection and the camper battery box both with Andersen plugs.

I will be an expert by the time it is all said and done.:rolleyes:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Just finished the 12v hard wiring to the back of the jeep. Also upgraded the power to the 7 pin. Found a power distribution box with fused link at Walmart in the car audio section. Will test everything tomorrow. Seems like we should be good, but we'll see. Thanks for the help.

wanderingjeep

Paramedic
My ARB had the same issue with power if I used the engine batteries. Voltage drop from runs of inadequately thick wire are common. Starting the vehicle will most definitely cause a huge voltage drop that will error your fridge. Now, if you added a accessory battery with a battery isolator your problem will go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998