Indel B Travel Box Fridge Test and Comparison

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
in the current buyers guide http://expeditionportal.com/buyers-guide-portable-fridge-freezers/ it shows the Indel B pulling 4.16amps when almost all the others pull around 2.5 amps, is that during running or start up and does it make that much of a difference?

The Indel B fridge uses the same Danfoss BD35F compressor that the National Luna fridges use, which runs at about 2.5V when running. The amperage that is shown in the buyers guide must be the start up amperage. Thanks for catching that.

Cheers,

Equipt

With regards to amp draw, my main concern is to get a handle on the average number of Ah that the fridge will pull from the battery per hour - which unfortunately varies depending on the outside ambient temperature and how cold a temperature that you set the fridge to.

The Ironman Ice Cube fridges are pretty much identical to the Indel B. Their .PDF spec sheet shows an average amp-hour draw of .7 Ah - when the fridge is set to 40°F and the outside ambient temperature is at 68°F.

http://goo.gl/l0dwZz

The number of Ah used will rise significantly when operating the fridge on a Summer day - especially here in the Southwestern US where temps will easily reach 35°C/95°F on a cloudy day.

One thing I would like clear up here is that the Indel B and the Ironman fridges are far from the same. They may look the same, but they are not the same. Here is what I have been told. Indel B purchased a facility in China with the tooling in place to build these chest fridges. They brought in their own management and quality control, and they fixed every problem there was with the production of these fridges and launched them under their own name. The facility is in an entire different province in China, and do not allow other "Third Shift" production or rebadging of other brands from their facility. The Ironman fridges are badged for them from somewhere else.

You are correct in your thoughts on what draw matters. It is consumption of energy over time, not the amp draw of the compressor that matters. The same fridge used in Death Valley in the summer is going to use more power over time than a fridge used in the fall in Yosemite. Ambient temperature, fridge temp setting, how full is the fridge, sun or shade, staging contents, how many times was it opened, was contents warm or cold when put in fridge, etc. All major factors that will effect how long your battery will last. There is no clear way to calculate how much energy will your fridge use "on average". We all use them in different patterns.

Thanks

SnoViking

Adventurer
I picked up a TF41 this past summer when TruckFridge was having their big promo deal (through Tacoma World: 25% off plus free shipping). I also bought the matching slider. I would not be happier with both.

The slide: It's built very very well. I was surprised at first how heavy it was. It runs smooth, operates easily one-handed, and has a nice positive catch in the closed, middle, and open positions. It has plenty of pre-drilled holes in the base to mount it in various spots. The sliders them selves seem to be a nice product. I honestly think TruckFridge hurts themselves by not providing more information about it on the website. I was very apprehensive about ordering it.

The fridge: I've very happy with it. Its quiet and seems to be built fairly robust. I haven't had tons of time around other fridges (the Indel is my first personal fridge) but I've borrowed friends (one Whynter and then an ARB twice). It is many steps above the Whynter and although the ARB has a few nice features not found on the Indel (ie removable lid), for the price it's a steal (I couldn't afford an ARB+Slider at the time... ... .. still can't...). I've run mine on my chassis battery (4Runner: group 27 battery) so far all summer and it's been running great. (I've just recently setup a secondary battery which the fridge will pull primarily from but haven't field tested it yet). I have a voltage monitor on the truck all the time and it hasn't seemed to affect the chassis battery. The most I've been parked for is 36+/- hours thought. I really liked the idea of the remote monitor but couldnt justify the $75 if I had bought the ARB. I bought a regular house-use inside/outside Ambient Weather station (2 pack). I put the sensor in the fridge and keep one of the monitors up by dash and the other back in the cargo area. It helps me keep an eye on things (all for $18). I do notice the indel tends to have a fairly big temp swing. I'm not sure if it's the fridge's temp sensor not being that great or what. I have a plan to check this out for sure (see below)

My Plan:

I'm working on a plan now to get some hard data for myself (I am a metrologist after all... I should measure this stuff :ugh:): My plan is to get a set of temperature/humidity data loggers (one for inside the fridge, and one for outside-ambient temps) and also use an watts/amps/voltage data logger. Then using that setup I can just use the fridge normally and start collecting data. Using all three at the same time I can graph the power draw in relation to the temps (in and out), plus the temps swings inside and out. From that, with a bit of math equation sorcery, I should be able to come up with an equation to give me estimated future power draw based on predicted ambient temps. Since temperature is a unit of energy and it fairly linear it should be possible and fairly accurate. This should be able to tell me how many watts I'll need over X time. Then it's up to me to make sure I can provide those watts either through proper batteries/alternators/solar.

If it all goes to plan I may enlist other fridges to collect some additional data. After all; Data is almost as important as what you do with it.....

Last edited:

Equipt

Hi Patrick,

I am very glad to hear you are enjoying the fridge. Great news. I would be very interested to see what your plan comes up with. It would help us all to graphically see what ambient temperature changes do to consumption. Fantastic idea.

Thanks

AaronK

Explorer
One thing I would like clear up here is that the Indel B and the Ironman fridges are far from the same. They may look the same, but they are not the same. Here is what I have been told. Indel B purchased a facility in China with the tooling in place to build these chest fridges. They brought in their own management and quality control, and they fixed every problem there was with the production of these fridges and launched them under their own name. The facility is in an entire different province in China, and do not allow other "Third Shift" production or rebadging of other brands from their facility. The Ironman fridges are badged for them from somewhere else.

You are correct in your thoughts on what draw matters. It is consumption of energy over time, not the amp draw of the compressor that matters. The same fridge used in Death Valley in the summer is going to use more power over time than a fridge used in the fall in Yosemite. Ambient temperature, fridge temp setting, how full is the fridge, sun or shade, staging contents, how many times was it opened, was contents warm or cold when put in fridge, etc. All major factors that will effect how long your battery will last. There is no clear way to calculate how much energy will your fridge use "on average". We all use them in different patterns.

Thanks
So the Ironman isn't an Indel B, it's a Chinese copy from some other factory?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Equipt

Yes, that is correct. I am not sure where the Ironman fridges originate, but I am certain it is not from the Indel B factory.

Thanks

jscusmcvet

Explorer
We are over one year with several trips and even some home use of our Indel B. Very happy with it. We use an inexpensive Advanded Auto lead acid marine house battery that we switch to whatever platform we are using for a particular trip (we have a camping trailer and a more off road oriented trailer). We recharge off grid with a harbor freight solar kit... no kidding. So all told we are into the system for less than $800. I will likely upgrade the solar at some point, for more portability... but the 45w capacity has worked fine, much to the contrary of what I read... (that you need a minimum of 100w)

Paul has been very easy and helpful to work with.

Last edited:

Equipt

I am glad to hear your fridge is working out well for you. And thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. Let me add my "data" to the collective here:
We bought a TB41/TF41 (sold by TruckFridge but badged as an Indel B TB) in June of 2014. Since then the fridge has been with us on about 32 camping trips. for a total of probably 70 or more nights (most of our camping trips are at least 3 nights.) Has been everywhere from Yosemite in California to Niagara Falls, Canada, from Big Bend in November to the high Rockies in July. the Black Hills, Washington State, etc.
Overall we're very happy with it and wouldn't travel without it. I have had a few minor "issues" like the label/cover around the buttons peeling up, and I hate the way the lid is hinged (it should be hinged on the side, not on the end.) It did kill the battery in my old 4runner a couple of times but that was mostly my fault for not monitoring power usage.
As far as power consumption goes I see a lot of the data is based on an assumption that the fridge would be set around 40 degrees. I have to :rolleyes: a little at that because from my experience, setting the fridge at 40 is going to result in a lot of spoiled food and/or sick campers.
This is because the temp sensor in the Indel B is apparently located in the coldest part of the fridge, i.e. the bottom. I keep a cheap metal fridge thermometer in the top of the fridge and it's not uncommon for there to be a 6 - 10 degree difference between the bottom and the top. And as for the little 'shelf' that sits above the compressor, that's probably 10 -15 degrees warmer. We usually use that one for eggs since eggs don't technically need to be refrigerated, but putting meat or cheese in that section would not be a good idea.
Ours is normally set at either 32f or 34f (0 or 1c.)
I'm actually quite impressed with the ruggedness of the fridge. We try not to let it bang around too much but we have gone on some mild 4 wheeling trips with the TB and it has done just fine. I think the lid has gotten a little bit chipped on one side and there are other scuff marks as well. We don't use ours on a slide but it typically sits in the middle of the folded down 2nd row seat so my wife can access it for a cold drink or a snack while I'm driving.
Since we pull a trailer and often camp at places that have 'shore power', I carry a couple of heavy duty indoor/outdoor extension cords and if I have 120vAC power available, I plug the fridge into that to try and save wear and tear on my battery. Eventually I'll get my "house battery" installed on the 'Burb and that will be a less pressing issue.
For the money I'd have to say the Indel B is hard to beat. Definitely gets a recommendation from me.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
^^^^This^^^^ in regards to having two thermometers. I have a corded dual temp (interior/exterior) with the sensor down at the bottom and a metal analog one I put up top. I usually have fruit in the small area near the hinge and light. Foods I really want to make sure are cold are down in the bottom and produce/other stuff closer to the top.

SnoViking

Adventurer
41pjZTTheFL.jpg

I use one of those. I taped the sensor just below the little shelf area inside the main compartment. I have one of the displays velcro'ed to the outside of the fridge (below the handle) and the other is up by my dash. I agree with Martinjmpr about the difference in temps. Also there seems to be quite a swing in temps. I usually keep mine set at 32 and see an daily average of 34 on the temp display.

1Louder

Explorer
What solution, if any, has anyone come up with for the temperature sensor being in the bottom. My ARB 37 QT seemed much less prone to being thrown off temperature if something cold was at the bottom. I have given up on the layering technique, that worked with my ARB, where I could have frozen items in the bottom and cold items on top. On my Indel if you put something frozen on the bottom the compressor never kicks on because that frozen item throws the sensor off. I need to try more scenarios. One possible one was to put a piece of foam at the bottom of the fridge to insulate the sensor from the cold item sitting above it. Keeping frozen items in a tub did not work. For now I have been setting the fridge at 30-32 and hoping for the best.

Another anomaly seems to be that the fridge won't start to cool until there is a 4 degree temp difference between what is set and when it will kick on. The best example I can give is the fridge is set at 32. In the morning my internal temp gauges show the fridge getting pretty warm (38-40) and the fridge won't kick on. It will only turn on when I adjust the temp gauge down to 28.

Sorry if I have posted this before.. Too may forums! :)

overl4nder

Observer
I'm planning to buy the TB31 from Equipt. At 450$ with free shipping it comes to same as Truckfridge (399+50).
I wanted to know, if I buy from Equipt, what is the length of the AC and the DC power cords. If its very short, I will get an extension cord for the front power socket.

Equipt

Thanks for your interest in the Indel B Travel Box fridges. The 120V power cord is 76" long and the 12V power cord is 60" long.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You can also get a longer power cord from Ebay. I got (I think) a 10' power cord. My understanding is that most of the 12v fridges use the same socket for the power cord to they're pretty universal. I know the 12v plug for my Indel-B is the same as the one for my Dometic CF-19.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12