Independent adjustable suspention.

mantree91

So having not even finished my 1st teardrop I have started looking at suspension options on my next build. Without a new frame I am stuck with my current straight axle with 12" wheels but my next idea is a trailer with independent suspension using front hubs from a 2wd xterra to match my bolt pattern. The issue with that plan is that the gally will be really high off the ground. So enter the adjustable suspension, this idea is adapted from something called adjustable trim on sidecar motorcycles.
f9c271df5bd6ceea0220b66d6c0819cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Are the wheels at the very rear of your frame there, or will you be extending it?

Do they make them for very heavy-duty use cases?

Very nice I do like that idea. Has multiple applications. One could replace the linear actuator with air bag if they need more strength than typical actuators can support.

john61ct

Adventurer
See I don't get it, if you go to that trouble, why not bring the walls right out to the maximum width, flush with the outside of the wheels.

Yes a tiny loss of MPG, but no mirror visibility issue, and quite a bit more interior space, for storage if nothing else.

Louisd75

Adventurer
See I don't get it, if you go to that trouble, why not bring the walls right out to the maximum width, flush with the outside of the wheels.

Yes a tiny loss of MPG, but no mirror visibility issue, and quite a bit more interior space, for storage if nothing else.

I built the trailer in a 2 car garage with the stipulation that my wife's car comes in every night. The trailer is also stored in the same garage. If I'd gone the full width it would become a pain to move around the trailer, there's not much room as there is. Right now the only "squeeze" is getting around the wheels. Sure I could have more room inside. In reality, why? I've got a queen size bed and bunk beds inside with more storage space than I have under the sleeping platform in my truck. And I still have my truck bed. I mean sure, if I'm trying to do the Larry of Arabia gig then I'm woefully low on space, but the reality is that a year and a half spent living out of the back of a Tacoma with my wife has shown us that beyond a few luxury items there's not much that makes the experience more enjoyable. We sleep in the trailer, we live outside of it ;)

mantree91

I am using a full bed but this was a budget build. The trailer frame, lumber, oven and misc parts were free but I will sell this one later and build a new one. I wouldn't want to nest the tires for the squatting because to drop it down over 33 inch tires there would be quite the chunk of space

Louisd75

Adventurer
I am using a full bed but this was a budget build. The trailer frame, lumber, oven and misc parts were free but I will sell this one later and build a new one. I wouldn't want to nest the tires for the squatting because to drop it down over 33 inch tires there would be quite the chunk of space

Right, I was throwing the nesting idea out there in response to where the adjustable suspension would go. If you install it between the body and wheels then you'd wind up with the wheels really far out. I'm not sure how much space you'd need for the suspension, but nesting it inside the trailer may be an option.

Teardropper

I'll ask it again.

Why not Timbrens?

Having built three teardrops it seems like you're adding a lot of complexity. You should still be able to build with a 36" high countertop. (unless you've got huge tires on your tow vehicle you're trying to emulate?)

Simple is good (and reliable).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears