Indonesia 4x4 Expedition

wahyubali

Hello there! I'm Wahyu from Bali, Indonesia and I will join in Indonesia 4x4 Expedition. This expedition is joined by 7 cars. One Range Rover, two Defender, one Land Rover series 3, one Land Rover 6x6, one Toyota FJ 43 and one Toyota 80 series.
This expedition will take place in West Borneo. This expedition will travel up to 2150 kilometres in which 30% is on road, the rest will be off road in the jungle.
We will start on the 16th of March and finish on the 26th of March.
As for now, all the participants cars have arrived in Pontianak, West Borneo, for final preparation.
In this activity, we also bring doctor who will help, heal as well as check the people who live in rural areas.
After the activity has started, I will start posting pictures.
For the next Indonesia 4x4 Expedition, we invite and we'll be really glad if any of Expedition Portal Forum members to join!

Best Regards,
Wahyu.

Cruisn

Adventurer
subscribing for the awesomeness to follow.

Good luck on the trip. I have a soft spot for defenders... *drool*

wahyubali

Hello there! Im currently in Banjarmasin, South Borneo, after 23 hours on ferry from Surabaya, East Java (I couldn’t go straight from Bali as there is no ferry available to Banjarmasin.) the ferry from Surabaya itself is not a direct ferry to Pontianak. Other participants go directly by ferry from Jakarta to Pontianak. I, on the other hand, have to go via Banjarmasin, South Borneo and then I will travel over land to Pontianak. I will pass Central Borneo to West Borneo; the distance is around ±1200 kilometres. The distance is traveled on roads—provincial roads. Please do not think they are the fancy high way roads like in your country. When it rains in provincial roads in Borneo, a 4x2 car could not pass and have to wait for around 2 to 3 days (if there’s sunlight) to pass.
But aren’t the difficulties and challenges that we love the most? Hahaha!
I have to arrive in Pontianak on the 13th of March as in the 14th of March is the last day for the final preparation for the participants’ cars (as for now, all the other participants’ cars are already in Pontianak for final preparation, except from mine as I’m still on my way there!)

As for now, my rig is using Toyo MT 285/75/16, but once the expedition starts, I will change and start using Simex Extreme Trekker 35/11.5/16.
My rig is Toyota Land Cruiser Turbo Diesel 1995, ARB Locker Front and Rear, 3 batteries (2 red top and 1 yellow top optima). It has dual alternator, dual extra fan, Warn 8274-50 + 9.5 XP all with plasma rope 10 mm on the front side and Warn 9.5 XP wire rope on the rear side.
About my winc… I have a bit of ‘unfortunate’ experience when I used my winc in an area with a tilt of almost 70 degrees or axle planted on the ground. My wire rope snapped off (single line) 8274 and my pinion cam broke (double line) 8274. So for my car that weighs about 3700 kg (including equipments), I tried to put dual wing on the front and it’s really effective to pass extreme areas. The use of the combination between 8274 in double line and 9.5 XP in single line will get about the same pull speed rope. It all depends on how we use the control wing.
Now the problem is power!
I used to use dual battery system 2 optima red top and Warn battery isolator… however; it wasn’t enough to supply power for 2 winc together! Now, I changed to 3 batteries and 2 alternators. My 3 batteries are parallel hence it looks like one big battery. And now the power is enough to supply 2 wincs together.

Even though there are few roads that are extreme, I need to prepare everything so as to avoid bad conditions. I certainly do not want my rig to be a memorial statue in the jungle. Hahaha!

Generally, for off road, I only used one 8274 with double line and it was enough. Double winc is only used if the condition is very extreme, and there is a possibility of risk of snapping of rope, pinion or break the other gear inside 8274.
I rather ‘play safe’, because in the jungle… there are many unexpected risks!

Anyway, here are some pictures:
1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Best Regards,
Wahyu

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Wahyu,

can you tell us a little more about your planned adventure?

I did a trip across Malaysian Borneo a few years ago and it was fantastic.

Ray

Toyotero

Explorer
Sounds cool..

Regarding your photos: you linked to their address where they are attachments in your gmail account. You'll have to host them somewhere else. You can upload them to this site in your post... look below for the section:

Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg kml kmz pdf png psd txt xls zip
[Manage Attachments]

wahyubali

Indonesia 4x4 is an annual activity, that has been hosted three times in Sumatera. At first, this activity is only for Land Rover, but now it's multi-brand. Our main purpose is to explore the 'corners' of Indonesia, the very remote areas. For every areas that we pass, we will do social activities such as making clean water channel. For every expedition route, there is a survey team that will go to the location to find the condition of the location, refill fuel, river crossing (as there are no bridges), etc. They will also check what kind of medicine is needed by the society. We also hope and will be very delighted if any members of Expedition Portal would like to join!

I'm sorry for the pictures, I thought they could show up. I have tried to use photobucket, I hope you could see them now. Thanks.

wahyubali

I am currently in Palangkaraya, Central Borneo. This morning I continue my way to go to South Borneo. However, the fuel is a big problem as there is a long queue to up to 1 km in the gas station for fuel. My rig has a long range tank and carry 5 jerrycans of 20 litres.
The queue could last to up to 4-5 hours, but thank God, because of a police officer, I did not have to join the queue as he knew I had to go to a far place and I had limited time. Thank you, sir!

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

wahyubali

Hey there!

On the journey, every gas stations have very long queues! Even when they run out of oil, people still patiently wait on the queue. Thank goodness, because of the survey team, on the expedition route, they have prepared 3 places to refill fuel and have 1000 litres fuel in the refill places. This is enough for 7 participants' cars.

Anyway, on the road I saw 1 truck whose rear wheel 'vanished' into the ground. I stopped to help. The truck 's weight was 6000 kg, I tried to pull it with the help of 8274 double line, but couldn't, I tried it 2-3 times but it still didn't work! I then used double winc, 8274 double line and 9.5 XP single line, and it was very easy to pull the truck that weighed 6000 kg.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Best Regards,
Wahyu

grimbo

Explorer
awesome always wanted to go 4wding in Indonesia. Been to Bali about 6 times now, even got married there, Love the place. Very rare to see a well setup 4wd in Bali, lots of Kajangs and some Samurais and 40 Series. Dont think I've ever seen an 80 series, especially setup like yours

Ronct110

Adventurer
Been years since I was Borneo; my travels took me to the Malaysian Borneo side in Sandakan.

Keep the pictures and details coming; wish you, and the others the best. :smiley_drive:

wahyubali

In this expedition, each car needs to bring spare parts and mechanist as in Borneo, it's very hard if to find spare parts if there's any damage. On my way to Pontianak, I gave Bibles to those who didn't have one, I also ate fresh water lobster. I arrived in Pontianak on the 14th of March, then my car 'went' immediately to the workshop to be checked and repaired. Thank goodness there were no fatal damages, only 4 parts need to be changed and I had all 4 parts with me. Bearing kingpen, seal pinion, bushing stabiliser and bumpstop. I'm not sure if these are what the parts are called in English. My place for jerrycans on the back of my car went off, as it hit many things on the off-road are. I put all my jerrycans on the top of my car. Today, 15th March, is the last day of preparation, we can buy food and drinks. It's also my daughter, Sarah's birthday, so happy birthday Sarah!
Here are some pictures:

1-1.jpg

photo.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

p.s.: @grimbo, Haha, of course you haven't seen cars like mine here, because in Bali, these type of cars are only used for off-road adventure. If you like it, you may join the next expedition!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior