Inexpensive Thermometer?

Allof75

Pathfinder
I'm looking for a relatively low priced external ambient temperature thermometer, with a readout, so I can see the temperature outside the car and prepare accordingly (also helps for bragging rights :) ) My Pathfinder does not have one, any recommendations?

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm the same way WRT wanting to know the outside temp. ;)

I got a cheap $9.00 external thermometer at O'Reilly Auto Parts with the intention of just using it for a few months until I finally installed a proper external temp gauge.

That was in March of 2010. I used that same gauge on my 99 4runner until I sold it in June of 2012, and then the gauge went on my DD Mazda Protege. It's still there, and it still works. I've changed the (single AAA) battery exactly ONCE despite the fact that my Mazda never sits in a garage, even in the dead of winter.

It's not pretty, but it works. Only drawback is that it has no automatic backlight so I can't really use it at night (it has an incandescent white light activated by a button but that's usually too much of a PITA for me to mess with when I'm driving.)

The biggest problem I've had with the little cheapies they sell at auto stores is that most of them are relatively skinny front-to-back and so the only way to mount them is to stick them on with velcro on the back. of course, the weight of them naturally makes them "sag" downwards and makes them hard to read.

The nice thing about the one I got is that it has a fairly wide base and I can stick it on a horizontal 'shelf' on my dashboard, which keeps it from falling off.

jeff parker

Observer
I got one from Wal-Mart. Problem is trying to figure out a way to mount the transmitter where it's not picking up heat from the engine, trans, exhaust. Even stuck to the frame over the rear axle it read 20 degrees too hot once the vehicle got hot.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Try to find a place as far forward and protected from the direct sun as possible. Behind/under the front bumper but with an air gap around it.This will keep engine heat from drifting back over it when you drive...at least at speed. It will still be affected by the engine at idle or going slow.

Darrell

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"so I can see the temperature outside the car and prepare accordingly"

err open the window !

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There are a few LaCrosse models that come with external temperature sensors that have a readout on them, and they recently started having sensors, like this one,

417JHJG616L.jpg

that have a 10 foot long probe on them, allowing you to put the readout where you can see it, but the sensor in an optimum position relative to sun and air flow.

On the XV-JP, I was able to use VHB tape to mount my non-probe sensor under the Foxwing awning housing in a place that generally blocks direct sun but has plenty of airflow and is low enough for me to read. So I can quickly check the temperature form either outside or inside the truck, which is nice.

As mentioned, the lack of a continuous backlight, while necessary for reasonable battery life, makes it unreadable at night unless you can reach the unit. I mounted my internal unit on a screwhead, where it hangs while I'm awake, and then I take it off and put it within easy reach while I'm in bed.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Try to find a place as far forward and protected from the direct sun as possible. Behind/under the front bumper but with an air gap around it.This will keep engine heat from drifting back over it when you drive...at least at speed. It will still be affected by the engine at idle or going slow.

Darrell

My Mercedes W124 has it by the front license plate, so I'll probably mount it similarly on the Pathy.

"so I can see the temperature outside the car and prepare accordingly"

err open the window !

You try getting an accurate reading with the palm of your hand at 50. :) Or when it's raining and you'd prefer not getting wet.

I'm the same way WRT wanting to know the outside temp. ;)

I got a cheap $9.00 external thermometer at O'Reilly Auto Parts with the intention of just using it for a few months until I finally installed a proper external temp gauge.

That was in March of 2010. I used that same gauge on my 99 4runner until I sold it in June of 2012, and then the gauge went on my DD Mazda Protege. It's still there, and it still works. I've changed the (single AAA) battery exactly ONCE despite the fact that my Mazda never sits in a garage, even in the dead of winter.

It's not pretty, but it works. Only drawback is that it has no automatic backlight so I can't really use it at night (it has an incandescent white light activated by a button but that's usually too much of a PITA for me to mess with when I'm driving.)

The biggest problem I've had with the little cheapies they sell at auto stores is that most of them are relatively skinny front-to-back and so the only way to mount them is to stick them on with velcro on the back. of course, the weight of them naturally makes them "sag" downwards and makes them hard to read.

The nice thing about the one I got is that it has a fairly wide base and I can stick it on a horizontal 'shelf' on my dashboard, which keeps it from falling off.

That may work for my purposes, thank you for the info.

Keep them coming!

highdesertranger

Adventurer
uk4x4, that's what I was going to say. turn off your fancy ac/heater and roll the window down. if you start sweating it's hot, if you start shivering it's cold. problem solved and you didn't have to send money to china for some junk electronics. highdesertranger

Lykos

Super Trucker
You can install a junkyard GM rear view mirror with compass and thermometer and get a new sensor from Ebay for less than $100.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears