Inferno.Overland's '04 Tundra DC Build

KTempleton

Observer
Should see if you can get 16" 700lbs instead of 14" if they will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did I read somewhere that you had a Tundra that you ran the OME set up on? It's really down to the OME and 6112.for me. I like the reliability of the OME but the appeal of the 6112.

You prefer one over the other?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Did I read somewhere that you had a Tundra that you ran the OME set up on? It's really down to the OME and 6112.for me. I like the reliability of the OME but the appeal of the 6112.

No I had 5100 than I jumped to fox 2.5
Probably with OME is it's very unpredictable on lift. If I had to pick. I would probably go with 6112.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Sorry been covered up at work and haven't been on here in a few days. I'll try to answer everyone's questions below.

FYI Talked to the guys at Low Range Off Road. They could confirm Bilstein is using 3" ID Eibach coil and any can get us set up with a higher rated spring if need be. I'll be pulling the trigger on these I believe now. Any other complaints on the 6112?

Thanks for double checking the spring size. I know you can run a 14" 700lb coil with no issues, not sure about anything longer. Only other issue I have with the 6112s, not really and issue, but I wish they were extended travel like the coilover vendors offer. I realize this would require an aftermarket UCA, which from Bilstein's standpoint is why they aren't. That being said though it would be nice to have a low maintenance extended travel set up like this versus having to deal with rebuildable coilovers. My Tacoma had extended travel Fox 2.5" coilovers with Camburg UCAs so my comparison may be a bit biased. 1st world problems i know, but you asked ; ).

On a positive note the OEM UCAs do not contact the coils on the 6112s like the 5100s do.

Should see if you can get 16" 700lbs instead of 14" if they will fit.

I had the exact same thoughts on using a 16" spring. I'm 99% certain they would fit on the lowest setting, however if they needed to be pre-loaded for additional lift i'd be concerned that the coils would bind...maybe i'm wrong on that?? Not sure i want to cough up $200 to experiment.

For reference PolyPerformance lists Eibach 16" 3.0" ID 700lbs coils http://www.polyperformance.com/eibach-16-long-3-0-id-coil-springs

Nice! Where'd you pick those up at?

eBay. Quality isn't as good as OEM but they look pretty good :elkgrin:

My best friend has the Toytec pieced together OEM kit on his '06 Access Cab truck. It's a nice kit and rides well. He's running the 885 coils up front. I think his only complaint would be that the truck sits a bit nose high right now, especially with any extra weight in the bed. He has around 3" of lift up front with this set up.

My wheels are a set of FJ Cruiser steelies, and the tires are 285X75r17. I really like the size.

I almost went with that size! Any extra height on these pigs can't hurt.

No I had 5100 than I jumped to fox 2.5
Probably with OME is it's very unpredictable on lift. If I had to pick. I would probably go with 6112.

My '02 Tundra, pictured earlier in this thread, had the 5100s set to 2.5". It was bone jarring ride, the 6112s are much better, not coilover better but much better. They are nice medium between the two. I really think they can be made ride even nicer with the 700lb springs and less preload.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Small Changes...

The hardware that came with the RTT wouldn't work with the extra width of the Rhino Aero bars so I had to make set of brackets and pick up some nuts and bolts to mount her up with. This gave us a good opportunity to set the tent up off the truck and clean it. The previous owner took great care of it but he hadn't used it for some time so the bedding had a date with the washing machine and the entire tent got a good scrub down. All dried out and back together we slide her up on the shell and married her to her new home.

Suddenly the white shell doesn't look so bad :coffeedrink:

IMG_6256.jpg

With the addition of larger rubber the OEM rack bushings were beginning to scream for mercy. The kids decided to watch a Christmas movie tonight so I snuck out to the garage and swapped the old rubber bushings out for a fresh set of Prothane Poly Bushings. Haven't gotten a chance to drive it much but I'm hopeful they will tighten up the dead spot in my steering.

IMG_6266.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
Rock Sliders/Steps

I spent the better part of Saturday building a set of sliders for the truck with the help of my younger brother. Fortunately he is a proficient welder and has nice shop set up to work in. We started with a 20 foot stick of 2x6x3/16 rectangular tubing as well as a 20 foot stick of 2x2x3/16 tubing I had picked up earlier in the week. The 2x6 would serve as the slider yet still be wide enough to offer a decent step for the wife and kids to use on a day to day basis. We cut the 2x2 down into 4 short sections on each side to serve as legs that will be welded to the slider and a set of frame plates before final welding to the frame. The 2x6 tubing fits nicely in the pocket under the lower body, however I prefer the sliders sit even with the Double Cab flares so I "massaged" the pinch seam quite a bit with a large hammer for a tighter fit. The pinch seam was also notched in 4 places to allow the 2x2 legs to pass through.

The next step with be priming and painting before finish welding them to frame plates. :wings:

fullsizeoutput_986.jpg

fullsizeoutput_987.jpg

fullsizeoutput_988.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
Rear 5160s

Finally got around to removing the OEM shocks and replacing them with the Bilstein 5160s. The top bolts on the OEM shocks put up a fight but ultimately lost to large set of vice grips and some pretzel arm twisting action with a 14mm ratcheting boxed in wrench. I dropped the spare out of the way which gave plenty of access to the driver's side top bolt but the passenger side top bolt location just sucks...thanks Toyota! Fortunately the bolts weren't very rusty so once I got to them they came off rather easily.

I followed the recommended reservoir locations that Bilstein provided so the install was straight forward. So far the new shocks seem great on the pavement. I look forward to getting them in the dirt for some real testing.

5160.1.1.jpg

5160.2.2.jpg

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Where did you get the new Bilsteins? I've been trying to find any more info on them but haven't had any luck.

I'm excited for your review of them, my Tundra will be getting some sort of lift in the springtime. I'd also love to run 35s but I think I'll just move up to 285/75s

Go4Lo

Explorer

Go4Lo

Explorer
Sliders and Springs

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. I managed to find a few free hours over the Christmas break to sneak off to the shop and finish welding the sliders on. Really happy with how they came out and now that they are fully welded they aren't going anywhere anytime soon :sombrero:

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6324.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

For those considering the 6112s I've got a set of 16" 700lb 3" ID Eibach coils on the way to test fit. Should have them later this week and hope to get them in over the weekend. I'm done with these 600lb springs, there's just too much body roll with them on the heavy DC truck. Since the new coils are 2" longer and 100lbs heavier I think I'm going to just start on the bottom setting, 0" lift on the 6112s, and go from there.

More to come....

61Fn10fxPIL._SL1500_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179