Inner tube for trail/BFE repair?

obscurotron

Adventurer
So in an effort to save some space in my Tacoma, I'd like to carry just one full size spare, not two. In place of that, I figure I can carry a couple of inner tubes and tire spoons to break and reseat the bead.

Anyone have experience using tubes as a temporary repair method? Everything Google finds is related to bicycles and dirt bikes.

:)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've done it, it works. Did it in my 'glass buggy instead of a spare as we were rarely more than a day from base camp. The thing that you have to have a remedy for is a catastrophic tear in a sidewall.

Need some way of getting the valve stem out, and a bead breaker. I used motorcycle tire spoons. While short, they were light - a primary consideration in a low power light vehicle. As a test before the first trip into the field like this I installed it's then new 31-10.5 BFG A/T's by hand using those tools.

I built a bead breaker that used a short section of chain with a lug bolt welded to one end, and the 24" Snap-On 1/2" drive breaker bar that I always carried for leverage. The bar went in one end of the breaker and the chain fit into a hook on the other end. This meant that the wheel & tire did not have to come off of the buggy. Was actually preferable that it did not as that gave you enough to pry against that it made the whole job pretty easy.

Some baby power to roll around inside of the tire just before putting the tube in is a good call too.

obscurotron

Adventurer
Thanks! That sounds like I'm not too far off base in using this method as a backup to the backup.

I've actually gotten other guys with sidewall tears out of bad spots with a basic plug kit. 5 or 6 plugs into the sidewall, let the rubber do it's thing and seal up and put enough air to drive off the trail and back to camp. Certainly not a "get home on the interstate" fix, but it got an F-250 back to camp for a proper tire swap. Belt and suspenders all the way!!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We offer some great tire repair tools and kits http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tirerepair.html

Tyrepliers, a set of tire irons, and one of our repair kits would get you out of 99% of situations.

Inner-tubes are a workable solution, but have a negative side.

If you carry the right tools then carrying an extra tire without the rim is a good solution.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Having done this the hard way, I would vote for Martyn's tirepliers and other toys. Changing tires without power equipment is hard, dangerous work. Based on my experience, I would carry a spare tube for every tire and each spare if I were going to be on the road for very long. I don't know any way to reseat a bead with a handpump unless you use a tube. And soap. And water. And prayer (or at least a selection of obscenities in the language of your choice.).

N.B. You can also break a bead using a jack under the frame of your truck.

103074607.jpg

Last edited:

bpenn1980

Anyone know where to buy inner tubes for tires? Every tire shop and parts store I've called doesn't have them and has no idea where to get them from. I've got hooks, heavy gauge fishing line and patches for sidewall repairs, but I'd like to avoid doing the ether rebead technique since I dont have CO2 onboard.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
They used to make 'boots' for repair of truck and tractor tires that had sidewall damage. Basically a hard rubber piece that you lay across the hole in the inside of the tire. Held in place by the tube.

On the farm we got a lot of 'miles' out of a tractor tire by sewing across the hole in the sidewall with tie wire and putting a flattened coffee can inside the tire to keep the tube from extruding out the holes. Tractor tires are expensive on a small farm budget. :)

Neither of these help the tire balance, though. :Wow1: Obviously only for low-speed, 'til you can get to help, fixes.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Anyone know where to buy inner tubes for tires? Every tire shop and parts store I've called doesn't have them and has no idea where to get them from. I've got hooks, heavy gauge fishing line and patches for sidewall repairs, but I'd like to avoid doing the ether rebead technique since I dont have CO2 onboard.

Might try a farmer's co-op, if there is one in your area.

zags

I might consider carrying a spare tube if I had split rims, but it would be a lot work for a regular rim. I would try this out at home before counting on it out in the middle of nowhere. With the rock buggys, we quit carrying spare tires to loose weight and because tire plugs and a CO2 tank fixed 95% of flats. We have even stiched a 6" tear in the sidewall of a Swamper with bailing wire and used tire plugs between the stiches to seal it. You can re-seat a bead by using a ratchet strap tightened around the diameter of the tire, the valve core removed, and the regulator on you CO2 tank turned all of the way up. Spraying the beads with something soapy (I use foaming glass cleaner) also helps.

I have o idea if this would work... but I just had a idea..

what if you had the tube already installed inside the tire, but not inflated?

when you need it its there, when you dont, leave it uninflated....

but then youd have a floppy tube nside your tire at highway speeds... thats brobably non-conducive to tire balancing....

bluejeep

just a guy
You can re-seat a bead by using a ratchet strap tightened around the diameter of the tire, the valve core removed, and the regulator on you CO2 tank turned all of the way up. Spraying the beads with something soapy (I use foaming glass cleaner) also helps.

Just be sure you're ready to quickly release the ratchet strap once it seals. air pressure is powerful stuff

njtacoma

Explorer
No tube inside

You would still need to break the bead in order to fish the valve stem of the tube out though the rim.

So between the fact that you probably couldn't balance your tires anymore, and you still get the joy of breaking a bead in the wild, I think stored safely in the vehicle would be a better solution.

my $.02 ymmv

OTR

Adventurer
Set the bead with a can of WD-40 or starting fluid and a match.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_meTPTpdkZo&feature=related&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_meTPTpdkZo&feature=related&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1[/ame]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle