Input needed form Tundra owners

TrailWhale

Observer
I am considering purchasing a 2015 Tundra Crew Max. White in color, black interior, 4wd of course. I'm going to have the dealer add a lift, wheel and tires and include it in the purchase price. I was looking at a 6"-7" lift, 37" tires, and 18" wheels. Will 17" wheels fit on the new tundras? I only ask as most beadlock wheels come in a 17" size.

I know I want to add rock rails, bumpers front and rear, front needs to hold a winch, a bed rack that'll hold a tent and accessories. It also needs to sit just above the cab so that I can haul ladders and such for day to day work.

So, what would you guys run? Give me options on the lift and wheels and tires, along with the bumpers, and accessories. Pictures are always helpful. Budget for lift, wheels and tires would be $4000ish, and other accessories, let's say $5000. I could go $10,000 budget for all of it for good quality stuff.

Thanks.

Jason

seanpistol

Explorer
Tundrasolutions.com has a ton of info on drop bracket lifts, wheel sizes, etc. you'll probably find a lot more reviews there

Clutch

<---Pass
To get that amount of lift, you'll have to do a bracket lift as seanpistol mentioned. Those types of lifts over leverage the suspension system and don't really gain you much ground clearance.

I would suggest a long travel system, and fit 37's with 'glass fenders and a little cutting and hammering. Toyota just ran the Baja with a mostly stock truck and 37's.

If you're gonna spend the money, might as well spend on a system that will perform well offroad.

http://www.chaosfab.com/TC-Platinum-Crewmax-Toyota-Tundra-4WD

IMG_1698-1000.jpg

amo292

Adventurer
17" wheels are the smallest you can run on the 2nd gen tundras due to the massive brakes. I run the 17" TRD wheels on mine but I would defiantly be cautious with other manufactures as there is not much room to work with around the calipers.

I cannot be much of a help with suspension and those size tires as I have remained right around stock hight and sizes. I can see it being a challenge getting lift wheels and tires for under 4k. You may have to dip into some other accounts for quality. I agree with Clutch in that there are better systems that actually help performance instead of just getting hight. Just some food for thought.

For sliders check out White Knuckle Off Road http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/toyotatundra.htm
For bumpers check out Rock Slide USA http://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/tundra-front-bumper/
Unless you go with a generic ladder rack the bed rack will most likely need to be custom. I have not seen any bolt on overland style racks like they have for the tacoma on the market for tundras.

I don't have any experience with these but they are on my list of mods and the manufactures have been very helpful with questions and accommodations.

I look forward to checking out your build!

IMG_1279.jpg

TrailWhale

Observer
Tundrasolutions.com has a ton of info on drop bracket lifts, wheel sizes, etc. you'll probably find a lot more reviews there
Thanks, I have been over on that site quite a bit today. Definitely a lot of info.

17" wheels are the smallest you can run on the 2nd gen tundras due to the massive brakes. I run the 17" TRD wheels on mine but I would defiantly be cautious with other manufactures as there is not much room to work with around the calipers.

I cannot be much of a help with suspension and those size tires as I have remained right around stock hight and sizes. I can see it being a challenge getting lift wheels and tires for under 4k. You may have to dip into some other accounts for quality. I agree with Clutch in that there are better systems that actually help performance instead of just getting hight. Just some food for thought.

For sliders check out White Knuckle Off Road http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/toyotatundra.htm
For bumpers check out Rock Slide USA http://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/tundra-front-bumper/
Unless you go with a generic ladder rack the bed rack will most likely need to be custom. I have not seen any bolt on overland style racks like they have for the tacoma on the market for tundras.

I don't have any experience with these but they are on my list of mods and the manufactures have been very helpful with questions and accommodations.

I look forward to checking out your build!

View attachment 262391
Thanks for the links. Will check them out. The wheel you have are actually one of the few factory wheels that look great! I'd consider keeping them if I went that route. My concerns would be that they wouldn't clear the new knuckles on the lifts though. Definitely will have to do more research.

Inside the fender-well of the TRD Pro Full Stock...on 37's.

View attachment 262392

Great picture! Thanks for that. I don't mind spreading the budget out to make it a great well rounded truck.
Mainly Im looking to get some larger tires to get me around nasty rutted job sites. But it does need to ride nice so we can travel long distances with it. Will likely stay away from glass fenders as I do plan on adding a snorkel at some point. I don't ever plan on dunking my truck deep enough, but it's good insurance for that time when it may happen.

Costman13

Adventurer
x2 what Clutch said about over leveraging your suspension. I would steer away from those drop bracket kits if you plan on using it off road. They will just be a headache.

TrailWhale

Observer
why do you want 37s on a DD work truck?
Basically I like the height. I like being able to drive several cars down the road, and react to what's going on down there vs driving just with the vehicle in front of me. I like the look it gives, and the extra tire size, both in height and width. My personal preference.

My current DD/work truck is a 2012 F250 with a 6" lift and 37s, my 05 Super Duty had an 8.5" lift and 40" tires....and I drove it everyday. Had 250,000+ miles in 4.5 years. And the lift and tires were there for over 3 years and well over 150,000 miles.

Clutch

<---Pass
Great picture! Thanks for that. I don't mind spreading the budget out to make it a great well rounded truck.
Mainly Im looking to get some larger tires to get me around nasty rutted job sites. But it does need to ride nice so we can travel long distances with it. Will likely stay away from glass fenders as I do plan on adding a snorkel at some point. I don't ever plan on dunking my truck deep enough, but it's good insurance for that time when it may happen.

You're welcome, mostly stock components on that TRD Pro, other than the coilover. Tundras do look mean with 6" of lift, but those bracket lifts are so crappy...if it were me to get that amount of lift, I would SAS it. Of course by then might as well stay with a F250/350.

Demello runs 37's with only 3" of lift I believe...so no need to go full long travel either.

"think" they are running stock fenders.

tundra2013f_zps4fe3eaae.jpg

Last edited:

TrailWhale

Observer
You're welcome, mostly stock components on that TRD Pro, other than the coilover. Tundras do look mean with 6" of lift, but those bracket lifts are so crappy...if it were me to get that amount of lift, I would SAS it. Of course by then might as well stay with a F250/350.

Demello runs 37's with only 3" of lift I believe...so no need to go full long travel either.

"think" they are running stock fenders.

tundra2013f_zps4fe3eaae.jpg

That's a nice looking truck! Even like the wheels, and that bumper is very nice. Any more info on it? Or a link to a build? I will search the name and see what shows.

Ya, doing a SAS on it would make it easier to keep the F250 I have now.
I agree a drop kit isn't the way to go for a well performing lift. But it does get the height to clear the tires and gets it to sit tall.

Thanks for the help Clutch, I do appreciate it.

Brentc

Tundra talk seems to have the best info out of the tundra sites. I would contact dirty deeds there as he specializes is tundra lifts and exhausts/everything tundra.

Tacovendor

Explorer
here's my two cents, went for a joy ride in Demellos Supercharged Tundra with 37" tires, it hauls ***. I just had him do the suspension install in my truck (2.5"). 35" BFG KO2's had to chop the body mounts and some plastic. If you go with 37's you'll have to re gear to maintain performance. Call Jason and he'll give you some great info. You will have a tough time keeping in budget with the bigger tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78