Insert for M416 to hold gear and RTT?

Boston90

I have an M416 trailer that I want to mount a RTT to but don't want a permanent lid. I'd like to continue using it for general purpose/yard duty. I know people add support bars to these trailers that will hold a tent, which is likely my leading option (I'm not sure which ones will actually just mount right up at this point), but I'm wondering if there are any examples of a home made insert, perhaps made of wood, with hinged lid that would be able to hold gear and a RTT that could be dropped into the trailer. I'm thinking something that can be easily removed by a couple people or via a pulley from the garage rafters.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had brackets made to support the RTT on the M416A. Also did a spring over to gain more under trailer height.
Cross bars were 3/4 gal pipe with thru all thread inside and nyloc nuts, held up well. Use steel brackets not aluminum (it cracks)
Use a back plate inside the trailer at each bracket to prevent pull thru as there is a bit of weight and bouncing on rough roads will be an issue.

I would guess that an insert could be made of plywood to use for hauling dirt and such but I did not use mine for yard work.

Attachments

• DSC01179.JPG
    DSC01179.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 58
  • CIMG3583.JPG
    CIMG3583.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 56
  • CIMG3685.JPG
    CIMG3685.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG3661.JPG
    CIMG3661.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
I have an M416 trailer that I want to mount a RTT to but don't want a permanent lid. I'd like to continue using it for general purpose/yard duty. I know people add support bars to these trailers that will hold a tent, which is likely my leading option (I'm not sure which ones will actually just mount right up at this point), but I'm wondering if there are any examples of a home made insert, perhaps made of wood, with hinged lid that would be able to hold gear and a RTT that could be dropped into the trailer. I'm thinking something that can be easily removed by a couple people or via a pulley from the garage rafters.
I had brackets made to support the RTT on the M416A. Also did a spring over to gain more under trailer height.
Cross bars were 3/4 gal pipe with thru all thread inside and nyloc nuts, held up well. Use steel brackets not aluminum (it cracks)
Use a back plate inside the trailer at each bracket to prevent pull thru as there is a bit of weight and bouncing on rough roads will be an issue.

I would guess that an insert could be made of plywood to use for hauling dirt and such but I did not use mine for yard work.
try this, welded 2x4 inserts to bed. also check post=
Temporary RTT/Boat setup on an M416
1523127146916.png

1523127146916.png

Last edited:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
It wasn't ideal, especially access-wise, but this worked for me for a temporary fix: plywood top with (IIRC) 2x2 bracing around the inside for a snug fit, Technitop RTT bolted to the plywood with a hinged lid behind it for access to the gear inside.
It fit really tightly and was just held in place with a couple of ratchet straps.

27430745188_5e33e1bc58_c.jpg

Boston90

Thanks for the info.

bj70 your pic is a great idea.

I’ll sketch up something to better represent what I’m considering.

FireJeep

IMG_4164.JPGIMG_4197.JPGIMG_4263.JPG
So I wanted the same thing and this is what I came up with. The "skid load" can be raised by 1000 lb. trailer jacks, high enough that I can pull the trailer out from under it. When the skid load is in the trailer it gets tied down from the same 2" box tubing that the jacks slide on to. The top lifts up for access and additional storage, I cut a tailgate into the trailer and the skid load has a drop down work shelf with a pull out drawer/shelf that our cooler sits on as well as cooking utensil storage and more work surface.

I built a removable top that is is held on with only the hinge bolts, hydrolic supports and the latches. In order to do this you will have to box in the front of the trailer like the bottom photo to strengthen it (in this photo it is not quite done but you get the idea). You will also notice that toward the back of the trailer there are tabs on the cover and box so they interlock when closed. I will say with the tent installed you better have at least three very strong friends to help you take it off, but a pulley system to rafters would be pretty easy.
IMG_2694.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle