Installed a cherry bomb on my XJ last night..

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
lol.

Well, a cherry bomb "turbo" anyways...

:)

After my morning commute, I have to say its a very pleasant sound, no drone at speed, and just the slightest growl upon acceleration.

and at $24.99, who cares how long it lasts..haha!

This is not a glasspack, by any means. Rather, a nice alternative to a walker OEM universal, or similar.

Plus, you get a cool cherry bomb sticker.

:D

alosix

Expedition Leader
Ya know.. I welded 2 of these onto the comp Jeeps we ran. 1 4 banger and 1 6 banger in place of the CATs (no tags, off road only stuff)...

They were A LOT quieter than I would have expected. They were put on because they fit and didn't get in the way of the suspension. We were ready for a noisy loud jeep, but it didn't happen.

They only time you could tell that they weren't a normal muffler was at WOT. Even then, they complemented the sound of the 2.5L bouncing off the rev limiter :)

Jason

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ya know.. I welded 2 of these onto the comp Jeeps we ran. 1 4 banger and 1 6 banger in place of the CATs (no tags, off road only stuff)...

They were A LOT quieter than I would have expected. They were put on because they fit and didn't get in the way of the suspension. We were ready for a noisy loud jeep, but it didn't happen.

They only time you could tell that they weren't a normal muffler was at WOT. Even then, they complemented the sound of the 2.5L bouncing off the rev limiter :)

Jason

Thats cool! Yeah, I fired her up after installing it last night, and was like, "huh!...not bad!.." Not what I was expecting at all.

Oh, and speaking of not getting in the way, I was very pleasantly surprised at how much narrower and tucked up this one is, compared to the previous one. I think I measured about a 2" gain in clearance. nice!

"Ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!" :elkgrin:

I've ran these on my v8 Blazer in the past also. Decent sound and, as you said, for the price; who cares if it doesn't "last forever"

Inc

Observer
I've always wondered what they sounded like on a jeep, could you post a sound clip?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Do cherry bombs have a reputation of not being very long-lasting or something? I've never heard that, only good things. But that was always from people putting them on muscle cars that never left pavement or got abused or anything.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Do cherry bombs have a reputation of not being very long-lasting or something? I've never heard that, only good things. But that was always from people putting them on muscle cars that never left pavement or got abused or anything.

nope, not that I've heard of, I just tend to follow the "get what you pay for" line of thinking, so I'm hoping it simply cost what it needed to cost, and will last me at least a few years.

(but if it's rusted out in a year, I'd gladly throw another one on, since I like the sound, price and low profile. )

:)

PhulesAU

Explorer
You are going to have to put the chrome fart tip on, if you want the ricers to respect you.:coffeedrink:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You are going to have to put the chrome fart tip on, if you want the ricers to respect you.:coffeedrink:

I use to have a Nissan 240SX and I bought a coffee can style pass through muffler for it. When I called a welder to have him install it for me he asked "Its not one of those stainless steel noisy little bastards is it?"

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, well just an update. almost exactly two years later, the cherry bomb turbo still performs pretty darned well, but sadly is likely ready to be replaced.

It most definitely has some loose baffles inside that intermittantly rattle/squeak. Mostly when it's warmed up and has had a chance to expand probably.

Still, I feel like it was $25.00 well spent, and would heartily go grab another one to replace it with, if $25.00 was all I had to spend.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
About the same time as you, I replaced my stock muffler with a Red Hots Glasspack Muffler. It did have a drone, especially as the pipe started to fall apart after the glasspack and I cut out the sound resonator and replaced that with a straight pipe. I grew tired of how loud it was and put a stock one back on. I may try next time to go with a more traditional style cherry bomb type and not the straight through design of a glasspack. Without the resonator I still get a small growl even from the stock muffler every once in a while. Overall I am happy with my current setup, but like you I also paid $25 for the Glasspack and that included shipping to my door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger