Installed new LED tail lights last weekend, what do you think?

Redman333

Adventurer
You can, unless local laws prohibit - manufacturers just don't make them that way.

Older vehicles in the us were manufactured that way. It's not illegal at all. You can have red,white, and amber out back and white and Amber up front. I believe just Amber on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You can, unless local laws prohibit - manufacturers just don't make them that way.
They're perfectly legal to install on a US-spec vehicle.

Just very difficult to make work.
The EU version of that light has different connectors and the vehicles are wired differently. You'd have to run your own harness and do some work-around to the TIPM.
Trust me. If it were easy, I would've done it already.

I've been running a beta prototype set of those lights since summer and they're great. The reverse light leaves something to be desired but the red part is the reddest freakin thing in creation.

We have a bit of a thread about them here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jw-speaker-led-tail-light-discussion-thread-1452138.html

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Older vehicles in the us were manufactured that way. It's not illegal at all. You can have red,white, and amber out back and white and Amber up front. I believe just Amber on the side.
No white pointing backward while moving forward ---- and reverse LUX is regulated to very low numbers so that the rear end of the vehicle is never confused with the front.
Turn signals in the rear may be amber or red in the US. Amber only in Europe.
Front turns amber for both.
Headlights must be "white" ----- definition of white is up to your local AHJ.
DRL may be white or "yellow" ---- that got included for vehicles to use their front turn signals as DRLs.
Brake lights red of course.

No other colors up front unless they're authorized signal colors. Special category there.
So all of the pretty halo kits with colorful rings that are popular these days can get you a ticket if they don't get you killed...

Redman333

Adventurer
No white pointing backward while moving forward ---- and reverse LUX is regulated to very low numbers so that the rear end of the vehicle is never confused with the front.
DRL may be white or "yellow" ---- that got included for vehicles to use their front turn signals as DRLs.

No other colors up front unless they're authorized signal colors. Special category there.
So all of the pretty halo kits with colorful rings that are popular these days can get you a ticket if they don't get you killed...

Exactly I just didn't have time to specify all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

A little bit over dramatic, watch out everyone, your halos will get you killed! but the halos of any type, including the half halos in the JWs are freakin stupid. They look like a 5 year old desgined them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the feedback! Didn't know you guys were so crazy about amber indicators.
The contrast of amber against red gives a clear indication of intent.
When you're talking about vehicular lighting and signaling, clear and distinct signals can mean the difference between a near-miss and and an accident.
In that regard, LED tail lights are a big improvement ----- very vivid color, achieve full illumination very fast. Win win.

Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Unless im mistaken, aren't halo lights just accents? If your headlights were a funky color that could be a problem because certain colors won't show up well under them making it difficult to see signs and or obstacles in the road. If they are indeed just accents though, it sounds like the laws they had with underglow around here. No blues, greens etc that correspond to a list of colors used by law enforcement in different categories.

Anyway, im sure that Kojacks comment meant the same thing. They probably won't get you killed but certainly will get you a ticket.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Unless im mistaken, aren't halo lights just accents? If your headlights were a funky color that could be a problem because certain colors won't show up well under them making it difficult to see signs and or obstacles in the road. If they are indeed just accents though, it sounds like the laws they had with underglow around here. No blues, greens etc that correspond to a list of colors used by law enforcement in different categories.

Anyway, im sure that Kojacks comment meant the same thing. They probably won't get you killed but certainly will get you a ticket.
Most of the popular halo kits are illegal and unsafe for a variety of reasons, Chris.
1) to install them you must take apart the headlight assembly. You've just rendered the lamp illegal at that first step.
2) they come in colors other than white. Illegal.
3) you have to glue your lamp back together. Who knows what the out-gassing of the glue will do to the reflective materials or other constituents of the lamp. Is it going to fall apart? Start a fire? Get dimmer and dimmer?
4) I see people running around with only red halos on their headlights and foglights at dusk. Maybe that could confuse an elderly driver? Make them think it's the tail end of a car? Is it impersonating a LEO?

If your lamp comes with a halo and the lamp is tested and assayed to meet the criteria of FMVSS-108, it's a safe/effective/legal lamp.
Real companies make them. Not website cowboys.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Most of the popular halo kits are illegal and unsafe for a variety of reasons, Chris.
1) to install them you must take apart the headlight assembly. You've just rendered the lamp illegal at that first step.
2) they come in colors other than white. Illegal.
3) you have to glue your lamp back together. Who knows what the out-gassing of the glue will do to the reflective materials or other constituents of the lamp. Is it going to fall apart? Start a fire? Get dimmer and dimmer?
4) I see people running around with only red halos on their headlights and foglights at dusk. Maybe that could confuse an elderly driver? Make them think it's the tail end of a car? Is it impersonating a LEO?

If your lamp comes with a halo and the lamp is tested and assayed to meet the criteria of FMVSS-108, it's a safe/effective/legal lamp.
Real companies make them. Not website cowboys.

That does not make it right. I think the halos on the new JW made a horrible looking light that much more childish! but hey.....they show up good on your little light meter. Obviously paid off by JW.....

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That does not make it right. I think the halos on the new JW made a horrible looking light that much more childish! but hey.....they show up good on your little light meter. Obviously paid off by JW.....
For the record, Luddite, my "little light meter" is on loan from a senior software engineer and manager at Dell computers, the oscilloscopes I used for determining the PWM patterns present on the JK line of Jeeps were loaned from Keysight Technologies (formerly Agilent Technologies), and I'm not under any obligation to JW Speaker Corp whatsoever.
To say something that implies that impugns my integrity and I won't have that.
Go back into your corner and play with the propeller on your cap; the grown-ups are talking. Your disdain for science, scientists, and all things stemming from academia have been duly noted ad nauseam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12