installing rear Bilstein 5100s

VtFly

The directions state to install this shock with the canister mounted in the up position. But, in Scott's 10 leaf Deaver installation it appears that his Bils are mounted with the canister in the down position. Which is the correct position. Thanks in advance.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
All 4 of my 5100s are canister down. The front ones have to be due to the mounting design, shock bushing on the bottom, stud on top. If I remember correctly though the internal design of the valves/pressure system in the 5100 allow it to be mounted either direction. Some shocks it matters others it does not. Most if not all of the race shocks for instance must be mounted with the canister up.

Kyle

VtFly

Thanks Kyle. I made a mistake, mine are 5125s. I've seen so many mounted upside down that I began to think that everyone had some inside info that differed from the published instructions. My directions for the 5125 say can up so that's the way they'll go in. Thanks again.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Monotube dampers, like Bilstiens, Kings, Fox's, etc. can be mounted either way due to their high pressure gas charge though they are usually mounted cannister up for unsprung mass considerations. In theory KYB's can also be mounted cannister up, but I've no experience with them mounted as such.

Twin-tube dampers, like Rauncho's, Gabriels, Monroes, etc. must be mounted cannister down as they lack the high pressure gas necessary to keep the oil in the right places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger