Insulation question

BSEETTU

Here is my current stage. I'm going to start skinning with plywood (used "the mix") to help seal, then plan to Raptor Liner it.
Here's my question:
How do I insulate the floor prior to putting the plywood over it? I've searched the forums and cant find pictures of someone insulating the floor. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• frame2mb.jpg
    frame2mb.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 45

opp1

I'm going to start skinning with plywood (used "the mix") to help seal, then plan to Raptor Liner it.
I sure hope you do a lot more research before you put good money after bad . That little thing called expansion rate

jwiereng

You could lay down some XPS 30 psi them put plywood floor into XPS.

What are the components of your "the mix"?

BSEETTU

I sure hope you do a lot more research before you put good money after bad . That little thing called expansion rate
I'm thinning out Urethane and doing multiple coats prior to Raptor Liner. The research I've done has been on here and TNTTT. How would you do plywood?

BSEETTU

You could lay down some XPS 30 psi them put plywood floor into XPS.

What are the components of your "the mix"?
"the mix' is thinned out Polyurethane. Got it from TNTTT.

I was thinking of some thicker insulation dropped in between the steel frame and the plywood floor bolted to the frame. Maybe RFP on the bottom to protect the insulation?
The reason I didn't want to stack insulation on top is so I don't kill my head room.

opp1

most seem to be successful either put it on super thick to encapsulate the wood. layer of woven with fiberglass around the whole thing .not using the mix.

BSEETTU

most seem to be successful either put it on super thick to encapsulate the wood. layer of woven with fiberglass around the whole thing .not using the mix.
And then spray with Raptor Liner? Have you heard of folks sealing plywood, spraying with bed liner, then having it fail?
I realize this is a little off topic, and I would still like to hear advice about insulating the floor

opp1

yes there a few you tube vides .over the years at the shop we've had a few come in and basically no way to fix because of the cost.
All are trailers are fiberglass / foam . floors
as you have quite a bit cross support in your chassis . quarter inch exterior plywood some one by two . For skeleton frame ply/ frame with insulate /ply. on condensation there's a class action suit starting be put together where a bunch of these con artists are selling 5ft wide trailers with a 5 foot queen-size bed in it. 5 ft trailer with walls that means you cram a mattress in there with no air movement

Attachments

• IMG_20220110_163942 s.jpg
    IMG_20220110_163942 s.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

billiebob

I'd do a 5/8" T&G fir plywood floor. R5, R7.5 or R10 Extruded Insulation, Vapour Barrier then flooring... I'd likely use 1/2" plywood and vinyl.

Since you plan on bed liner for the walls, maybe do the undersides the same.
Build a solid floor, add rigid insulation, add the finish.
You could use much lighter plywood.

This might be overkill. Where do you live? Are you planning a winter expedition to the North?
I think your solution in post 3 is excellent.

Your frame is really well done.

Last edited:

BSEETTU

I'd do a 5/8" T&G fir plywood floor. R5, R7.5 or R10 Extruded Insulation, Vapour Barrier then flooring... I'd likely use 1/2" plywood and vinyl.

Since you plan on bed liner for the walls, maybe do the undersides the same.
Build a solid floor, add rigid insulation, add the finish.
You could use much lighter plywood.

This might be overkill. Where do you live? Are you planning a winter expedition to the North?
I think your solution in post 3 is excellent.

Your frame is really well done.

I like the XPR, I've got 3 inches of steel, so I can put some thick stuff in there. Would you glue the insulation to the plywood above?
Spraying the underside sounds like a nightmare, but I like the idea.
I live in NM. Dry and high. Probably not going to be super cold camping, but I would like the capability to snowboard in Wolf Creek and sleep in the parking lot.

jkalodimos

For my build I made a sandwich of aluminum diamond plate -> XPS -> plywood and used lap sealant after the diamond plate to make sure there weren’t any leaks from road spray. I had to be a bit careful to minimize potential galvanic corrosion but so far it has held up well (knocks wood).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater