Insurance Woes

Well, after quite a few years of wanting, wishing, contemplating and researching, I have finally obtained our family adventure vehicle. I flew across the country and drove it home. All is well…EXCEPT…Insurance(and gas mileage, but that is no surprise).

I called around and even looked at some threads on here and other forums to see what my options were in terms of insuring this thing before I went off to buy it. Although I had a few initial roadblocks, I was convinced that getting insurance for this thing might be a little bit of a hassle, but still totally doable.

Now I am much less optimistic. Let me be clear that up until now, all the agents that I have spoken to, I have been honest with. This is a van, not a camper and it has a lot of aftermarket parts and a reasonable amount of money wrapped up in it. I would like it to be covered for what it is worth(in other words, what I paid for it).

The plan is seating for 7 and room for bikes, coolers, camping gear, whatever. We will surely sleep in it from time to time, but do not have plans of a full blown camper conversion.

Here is what I am running into. To cover it under an RV policy, it needs to have a sink/plumbing, separate heating/cooling system(not the vehicle system) and 110v electric. It does not have these things, nor do I want it to(at least not the plumbing/water). One agent mentioned a commercial policy, but it was rejected by the underwriter, presumably for the lift kit. One company even classified it as a “monster truck”.

Hagerty won’t cover it because it isn't at least 25 years old(classic car designation?) and also said it is not the type of vehicle they cover.

It seems I can’t get coverage as an RV, which makes sense to me, because it isn’t one. I can’t seem to get coverage as a commercial vehicle nor can I get it covered as a personal vehicle with additional accessories.

I feel like I am down to the option of just cold calling an agent and simply saying a have a Ford Econoline van, that’s it. If they ask about modification, I will just have to lie. I will then at least have coverage. But, what happens in the event of a claim…will they deny due to the status of the vehicle? Probably.

Here is where all of you come in. I need help…specific help. As mentioned, I have searched and have tried most of what I read worked for other people. I am not trying to be rude here, but please do not tell me to just call my agent and tell them it is a van with $20k of accessories. I have spoken with numerous agents and my agent has spoken to numerous agents. None of them can or will cover it under these terms.

What are my options? State law requires insurance. As much as I want it covered for what it is, I am almost to the point of just meeting state minimum requirements and just hoping nothing bad ever happens. But I am having trouble even getting that.

Please give me names of companies, specific coverage language, etc…

Sorry this post is all over the place, but I am short on time to type it and I am certainly frustrated with this process and having trouble organizing all my thoughts. Am I going have to give up this sweet rig and let someone else figure it out?? I hope not!

Thank you in advance.1000000901.jpg

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
What worked for me
State Farm personal insurance policy (have been with them over 20 years)
I paid out of pocket to have my van appraised. Appraisal came back something like 4X the NADA value of the stock cargo van.
I used https://www.motortechappraisals.com/
I sent the appraisal to my agent and requested my policy for the van be updated to a "stated value"
Some back on forth with pictures ect and now my van is insured for the appraised value.

I can't tell you if my long term relationship with my agent smoothed this process or not. And I did already have the van insured with them prior to the modifications.

Hope this helps

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
An 'Agreed Value Policy'. I've done this on a number of custom and modified cars and trucks.
You and your insurance company come to an agreement of the value of your van and it's additions. The insurance company will dictate what you need to provide to prove value. These policies are more expensive.

Your other option is to insure it as a cargo van since it isn't registered as an RV. Your insurance will have a maximum value they will pay out for your 'cargo'.

Thank you all for the feedback so far. I have tried the agreed value approach, which is what I want since we all know our vans are worth more than the book value. I am not sure the dollar amount requested is the issue. There seems to be more concern from the insurance companies about the lift kit which makes it a "monster truck" (according to Progressive) and the “center of gravity, normal body "level", or body height have been materially changed”(according to State Farm).

86scotty

Cynic

This company has been discussed here or on some other forum I'm on. Read the webpage before you pass them off as regular RV insurance. They supposedly specifically insure home built camper vans and the like, which you are close enough on IMO. Please report back. I need to do the same when I finish my rig and they are on my list to contact.

ThundahBeagle

Thank you all for the feedback so far. I have tried the agreed value approach, which is what I want since we all know our vans are worth more than the book value. I am not sure the dollar amount requested is the issue. There seems to be more concern from the insurance companies about the lift kit which makes it a "monster truck" (according to Progressive) and the “center of gravity, normal body "level", or body height have been materially changed”(according to State Farm).

4x4 trucks exist. Vans exist. AWD and 4x4 Van's exist. Camper vans exist. And they get insured. Lifted trucks exist and get insured.

CONVERSION vans exist and get insured.

No vehicle really ever gets insured for what you paid for it, but you ought to be able to get coverage for this. Just not for what you paid for it.

Aside from what others have said here, which I think is good advice, yeah, insure it as cargo van with cargo, and list the "cargo".

Honestly if I ever got a van, what you have there is EXACTLY what I'd like!
If that lift is also a 4x4 conversion, perhaps a certificate from the shop that did the work professionally?

The GM 2500 Van's are not so different mechanically from the GM 2500 trucks or Suburbans, so it seems to me a professionally converted van should be doable

Thank you all for your responses and your advice. I did get the Blue Beast(still working on a name - feel free to offer suggestions) insured today. I spoke to an agent that dealt with Auto Owners and it sounded like there was a possibility there but they were pretty adamant about the state law regarding bumper height. I don't know the height of mine, but not sure if it is entirely legal. In that conversation, the agent mentioned a Progressive commercial policy. So I called my agent back and asked if he could try that again. He said he had talked to 3 different people already, but would try again. For whatever the reason, it worked this time. For the record, I do have a "business", but it is just a small rental side gig to my regular job. I quickly (electronically) signed the papers and made a payment for the year in full!!

I do need to get them a list of parts/accessories and prices, but they ultimately covered it for $55k. I probably could have adjusted some things and saved a little on the premium, but I wasn't about to mess it up, so I just left it alone and took it!

I think the moral of the story for anyone finding themselves in this situation is be persistent. If you don't get the answer you want, ask someone else. Keep doing that until you find someone that will take care of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998