Interesting rear door storage ideas (besides tires\fuel cans).

Eddie.

I'm giving very very serious thought to converting a Ford Transit Connect into a tiny RV. Yes I realize it's small but if you do some googling you can see loads of them out there and there is a surprising amount of room inside for a large single or small double bed plus a little kitchen\storage\work space accessible from inside.

But storage is limited.

I was thinking of mounting a spare Touratech 45l case to the rear left door. And maybe a Jerry can or rotopax to the right.

Seen anything truly neat and interesting? Any links to outfitters or suppliers or DIY?

NoahGenda

Adventurer
I was in the same boat and ended up getting an aluminum dry box, like the ones used for oar frame rafts.

Link here to what I got

It doesnt lock but since i have to fabricate a mount for it any way I am making a locking attachment so I can use a padlock on it. Its pretty narrow at like 12" which is what I liked, all the outdoor truck boxes seemed to be 18+ inches and that felt too deep to be hanging off the back of my rig.

Once I get it fabbed up in a few weeks I can show you some pictures.

NoahGenda

Adventurer
Got the rear bumper done, excited to get this thing into powdercoat and back on the road!

33101493331_f3cb894f18_c.jpg

33073299392_b18f8b0c05_c.jpg

The metal box is a whitewater drybox, it doesnt lock so I made a 12ga tray for it to sit in that has a bar on the top to accept a padlock. The left side holds a Frontrunner dual jerry can mount. We did the roll cage setup on the bumper to allow for me to be able to strap things down to it like firewood/camp chairs/etc.

So that was my attempt a rear storage bumper that isnt just your typical tire/etc.

Hope that helps.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Got the rear bumper done, excited to get this thing into powdercoat and back on the road!

33101493331_f3cb894f18_c.jpg

33073299392_b18f8b0c05_c.jpg

The metal box is a whitewater drybox, it doesnt lock so I made a 12ga tray for it to sit in that has a bar on the top to accept a padlock. The left side holds a Frontrunner dual jerry can mount. We did the roll cage setup on the bumper to allow for me to be able to strap things down to it like firewood/camp chairs/etc.

So that was my attempt a rear storage bumper that isnt just your typical tire/etc.

Hope that helps.

Very nice solution and great fabrication!

robert

Expedition Leader
Just make sure your rear door hinges are up to the weight. It seems on a lot of the newer, lightweight vehicles the hinges aren't very sturdy. They're designed for impact protection when closed but that doesn't mean much when they're opened and the weight is pulling against the body panel and hinge pins.

There are lots of roof racks made for them so adding a cargo box is always an option although you'd likely take a small hit on gas mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78