Intro and Our Mercedes Vario Home -Gen rack pg.5. Ideas on uprating rear suspension?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I too had those cd's which were great, but computer broke which they were installed on.

The cruise control is from contrad Anderson UK. I called them and they recommended the following servo/actuator:

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecontrols/AP550-electricactuator.htm

You then just need to select a controller, think ill go for the gm25/gc-5:

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecontrols/CM25-stalkcommandmodule.htm

These kits are pretty universal, as they work via a mechanical link to the accelerator pedal, so when it's activated the servo is actually pulling/pushing he pedal up and down. The only wire required from the van is the speed pulse signal.

I'm not back in the UK until March, so if anyone happens to got into MB truck for anything, could you just ask for a dash wiring diagram and let me know which cable it it?

Thanks

docka

Adventurer
Those cc units look good, tad expensive for my pocket but they look nicely put together.
I've got to email my merc dealer this week about some other parts, I'll ask for the wiring diagram and copy it for you.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Excellent, cheers bud. I'll let you know how it works out. From what I can gather the vacuum kit (rather than the expensive electric one) can be fitted as long as there is enough room being the accelerator for a long throw/mechanism. As I can't remember how much space there is, I was going to go with the safe option.

docka

Adventurer
This is what the MB truck guy sent me, is it any good, not had a chance to sit and work it out...

Attachments

• 20130129095631346 copy.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 94

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Thanks for that Docka, it looks to me that the speed signal wire is the green/red (gn/rt), however no colour coding information has been given, so i'm assuming gn is green, and rt is red. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi docka,

I've decided to fit the cruise control on my next visit home, which will be around September time, due to the intended work load this time. I'm only back for 3 weeks in March, and of that only have 1 week to work on the van. In this time I have to fit a new eberspacher D4, finish off the generator install for remote start from the cab (and to enable it to run in the box so no faffing around....just hit the button and forget about it), new reversing camera and 24v LED worklight at the back....lots to keep me busy! So, I thought i'd leave the cab upgrades (re-trim lining, vapor barrier, speakers/stereo, and cruise control), and fantastic-vent installation for the next round of mods!

However, pretty sure its the green/red wire for cruise control, and can be checked with a voltmeter to make sure.

Ta,

docka

Adventurer
Hi Anton
And there's me finding it tough being 100 miles away from my van whilst your several continents away (Singapore yeah?)!
What year's your van again, did you have to remove a speed limiter? I think they were mandatory after 2002...
What;s the fantastic vent?
Cheers

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Yea Singapore. I know, I really miss the workshop and working on it! Its only for a couple of years though, so will get stuck into it properly when i'm back. I have an ever increasing list of things i'd like to do to it, lots of time to plan things while away!

Ours is a 98 plate, so no speed limiter. Fantastic-vent is just a 12v roof vent. However, the top model has a thermostatic control, and rain sensor so it closes the vent hatch when it rains, pretty useful:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/

Hows progress on yours? Don't think i've seen any interior pics yet?

Ta,

docka

Adventurer
What are you doing in Singapore?
The roof vent looks good, will consider that as i've noticed a fair bit of condensation in the as yet uninsulated cab roof.
Progress on mine is non-existent other than in my head as vehicle is in Cumbria at my dad's and we moved to York for work but we're returning this summer so I'll be able to crack on, cant wait.
My interior is currently stripped out as i wasn't happy with the layout and we have decided to add a shower/loo as we've a 4 year old boy and another on the way!
Happy days!

Anton2k3

Adventurer
I'm a Marine Engineer, currently working as a ship surveyor out here, but the secondment is only for two years to back the the UK, or at least Europe around Oct 2014. The vapor barrier i'm going to put in the cab is due to the condensation i'm seeing in there. It is insulated, but there is a limit to how much you can get behind the roof lining. Have you read travel vans by John Speed? Well worth a look if not, he converted a mercedes vario and documented the process.

Sound like you'll need to incorporate bunk beds! Our seating area makes up into a spare bed, but no kids yet. However decided when we do have them and they get too big, i'm putting a wind up hard shell roof tent on with access from inside that they can sleep in!

docka

Adventurer
Sounds like you have an interesting job. I'm a musician so get to travel a bit. Also involved in domestic solar PV.
Yes i've got Travel Vans, really good reference and he did a great job!
I like the idea of the hard shell roof tent, that's got me thinking... If you get a chance I'd love to see some pics of your van's interior.
I have slowly been acquiring everything i need, just need to fit it all together. Did you go for an external gas tank and gas heating or webasto/eber?
I've got a lovely wee wood burner to go in and am toying with a small solar thermal evacuated tube system on the roof...

Anton2k3

Adventurer
If I had it my way, I'd build expedition campers for a living!

There's quite a few pic of the interior on page 1 I think. In terms of gas we have the cooker/oven unit, and a gas boil on demand hot water boiler (secondary water heater). Got a gas box and 16kg bottle in the boot/garage. The primary systems run off diesel, so I have a Mikuni mx-40 diesel water heater which runs through a calorifier for hot water (this also runs through a blown air radiator which is the secondary air heater). The primary air heating is via ducted blown air. I did have a second hand webasto hl32 on it, but it blew the glow plug, and they are £80 to replace. So rather than risk more breakdowns, I've bought an eberspacher d4, 4kw unit that ill fit in March.

4kw may seem a bit excessive, but I'm aiming to make it -20 degrees proof for future ski holidays!

As a side note, I've slowly replaced all the second hand stuff I did buy at the beginning of the build, it all seems to break down at the wrong time! It's definitely more economical to buy new straight away in my view.

What's this wood burner then? So can you get cheap solar panels!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

docka

Adventurer
Yes, I'd love to build campers for a living too! There's just something so brilliant about squeezing all the technology and different trades into one mobile space.
Where in the UK are you based? Do you think there's a market for building and selling expedition campers in the UK?
Your interior shots look great, I can see the John Speed influence too.
The wood burner is a lovely little thing with a glass door to see the embers, made by snail stoves.
yes i can get cheap solar, PM me with your needs and I'll see what i can do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman