Intro: ccarley

ccarley

Adventurer
Hey all,

I was introduced to this site by a co-worker of mine, who reminded me that I don't go out "wheeling" per se, but my tastes are more towards going on smaller expeditions. I have a 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer:

DSC_0982.sized.jpg

Current setup:
Rough Country 3" springs front, blocks & add-a-leaf rear
Stock rims with Pep Boys Definity Dakota M/T tires, 31X10.5
Stock 3.31 tow package gearing, Trac Loc in rear
Bilstein 5125 shocks at all corners
"OG" AMC brush guard, with (fake) Hi-Lift mount
Stock AMC 360, 727 trans, NP229 T-case
Hooks for spider net in cargo area, as well as 1 Jerry can behind wheel well

Projects in the works:
Install KC fog lights (100 watt) on brush guard
Drop Pitman Arm
Smittybilt 8,000 pound winch
Electric fan
Install thick Dana 44 front cover (on order still)
Move the Trac Loc to the front, and install lunchbox locker in rear
Remove carpet in cargo area, install rubber matting (if they make such a thing)
Exhaust: Edelbrock shorties, to BJ's 3" kit when money/ time allows
Intake: Edelbrock SP2P intake, and Edelbrock 4bbl, and hopefully Referee it legal (CA smog)

This is an awesome vehicle even right now; it's a real head turner wherever I go. I got it a few years ago to replace my BMW 740iL, because I enjoy camping & mountain biking. I love being able to load up to 3 bikes in the back, and carry people in comfort when I'm not camping.

Sadly, work has been keeping me away from taking trips & completing projects on this vehicle. I'm working on rectifying that situation, and my job is changing so that I'm able to take time off and even work "normal" hours now. I'm going to attempt to mount the winch somewhat in a hidden fashion, by cutting the lower center section of the bumper, and fabbing up some custom mounts so it will be behind the brush guard. Hopefully I can find a clean place to mount the control box too, but I'll worry about that after the winch is mounted.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Welcome to a great site, Lots of great information can be found here. Beautiful Grand Wagoneer.:smiley_drive:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Very nice - we gotta get a Lost Coast trip together some time in the far off future!

I assume you already know about ifsja.org - I am complete lurker status over there at this point, but they are a wealth of knowledge.

ExpoMike

Nice FSJ. I am so itching for one of these but no room. 6 vehicles is all I kind of have room for.

ccarley

Adventurer
Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to taking this vehicle to some really cool places in the years to come. A few on my list are Death Valley, Anza Borrego Desert, of course some Nevada travel, and hopefully some travels in Oregon.

Very nice - we gotta get a Lost Coast trip together some time in the far off future!

I assume you already know about ifsja.org - I am complete lurker status over there at this point, but they are a wealth of knowledge.

Indeed, I'm attempting to plan a Lost Coast trip for next month. It looks like we'll be doing just a weekend trip, either the weekend of the 12th & 13th, or the weekend of the 19th & 20th. ifsja.org- great stuff, I sadly have limited time on the computer anymore for forum activities. This winter should change that though :)

Cody1771

Explorer
Oregon sounds really cool. id love to get down there one of these days. its not even that far of a drive from the border anyways

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I love your jeep.

I've been entertaining the thought of a FSJ Waggy for a couple of years. Just started getting serious about finding one.

I REALLY like the white with a minor lift.

ccarley

Adventurer
More. Pictures. Please.

OK :) I have a few moments in between meetings today. Here's a few more odd pics.

South Lake Tahoe, before brushguard:

DSCN0783.sized.jpg

A shot I could not resist:

DSC_0760.sized.jpg

Coming down a road at Cow Mountain (yes, it's that steep!):

2448030_r1_045_21.jpg

That looks like all I can find for the moment. I'll be getting lots more on the next trip to the Lost Coast next month. I'm hoping to have the winch installed by then, but I'm attempting a custom install which will hide it pretty well, behind the license plate.

ccarley

Adventurer
I love your jeep.

I've been entertaining the thought of a FSJ Waggy for a couple of years. Just started getting serious about finding one.

I REALLY like the white with a minor lift.

I was actually surprised to find one in white, and I really like the color. Growing up back east for a few years, I remember seeing a lot of the blue ones, and maroon ones driving around. The white helps too in the hot sun out here.

As for the lift, I like the way it sits, but it's funny that a lot of people here think it's not lifted at all; it gives a great impression of being stock. Until it goes off road :) My wife, however, wants me to put a 6" lift on it, but that seems a bit excessive for what I do, not to mention expensive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12