Intro: My 1999 Montero - Getting dirty again.

Lambretta

Just bought this Montero January 2012 and I am now hooked on getting it dirt worthy. I had one in the past and have always wanted another one. It is still my daily driver so I need to go mild for a while til I get another car. I am hoping to get some dirt time soon. I live in Long Beach Ca, are there any Montero groups in the area?

DSC00288.jpg
First day home all stock.

DSC00426.jpgDSC00442.jpg
How it sits today with 31's, guards and full rack with hi lift.

Clem

Adventurer
I've got a white one too

Lookin' good...What are the specs on you rack (I'm in the market:sombrero:).

Welcome!

Clem

Lambretta

Lookin' good...What are the specs on you rack (I'm in the market:sombrero:).

Welcome!

Clem

It's a Surco 50x84 aluminum rack. It is light weight but can hold 400 plus pounds and easy to take off. I added extra supports from the local hardware store, the parts just need to be painted.DSC00440.jpg
DSC00416-cut.jpg
DSC00428.jpg
Camping equipment for 2 families fit on my ride last weekend.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Stock height but will be replacing shocks with Rancho 5000, stock ones are failing. Did not want to mess with the bars because I had it aligned before the new tires.

Any way I can talk you out of the rancho? They are just painted Monroe shocks with red dust covers..... You'd be better off with a set of monotube shocks made by KYB. Either monomax or gas-a-just. Those rancho are overpriced twin tubes which are inferior to a monotube in every way especially for off road use. OME makes some great shocks as well though they are a little pricey some consider them the best for the gen 3. Those rancho won't last very long at all. Especially off road.

Lambretta

Any way I can talk you out of the rancho? They are just painted Monroe shocks with red dust covers..... You'd be better off with a set of monotube shocks made by KYB. Either monomax or gas-a-just. Those rancho are overpriced twin tubes which are inferior to a monotube in every way especially for off road use. OME makes some great shocks as well though they are a little pricey some consider them the best for the gen 3. Those rancho won't last very long at all. Especially off road.

I have looked at the KYB shocks. This is why I joined the forum, to get peoples personal experiences. Thanks

I ran the Rancho 9000 xl shocks on my 1985 Mitsubishi Pickup with a 6" and I loved them. I currently have some Bilstien 5100's on my truck and I am not as pleased with them as I was with the Rancho's. If you decide to go witht he Rancho's I highly recommend the 9000 series.

Lambretta

Pick up a Stainless ladder at the junk yard for cheap. Just need to modify it to fit the door. I also finished making my shovel and axe holder for my rack. The things you can make at your local hardware store without welding. I am planning on testing my ride this weekend at Asuza Canyon. I might make some limb risers and test them out in the trees.

100_0359.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Pick up a Stainless ladder at the junk yard for cheap. Just need to modify it to fit the door. I also finished making my shovel and axe holder for my rack. The things you can make at your local hardware store without welding. I am planning on testing my ride this weekend at Asuza Canyon. I might make some limb risers and test them out in the trees.

Defender ladders fit very nicely if you can find one for cheap...

Telling us about this home made shovel/axe holder w/out posting pics? So wrong... ;)

I still haven't found a decent reason to use Limb Risers. They only work with smaller limbs that can bend in which case your A pillar works just as effectively.

I second the KYB shocks. I get mine from Pep Boys. In some cases they're as cheap if not cheaper than the basic Monroe's sold by parts places. They also made the OE adjustables for Mitsu which on my truck are still working after 270k.:Wow1:

I've also heard good things about the Rancho 9000 adjustables although some say they're not properly valved for the weight of a loaded and off road prepped Montero. The RS5000's... not so much good things. Actually, no good things at all.

Lambretta

Close up picture of holder made from hardware store.

Hi Lift carrier. The rubber mount can be removed so jack can be mounted in an upward direction.
100_0364.jpg100_0365.jpg

Shovel and Axe carrier. Easy to make with 6" steel angle, fence post attachment and bolts.
100_0362.jpg100_0363.jpg

I will probably use the axe for camping only.
100_0366.jpg

Will do a write up on it, I just have to remember what I did. :confused:

Last edited:

Lambretta

I still haven't found a decent reason to use Limb Risers. They only work with smaller limbs that can bend in which case your A pillar works just as effectively.

I second the KYB shocks. I get mine from Pep Boys. In some cases they're as cheap if not cheaper than the basic Monroe's sold by parts places. They also made the OE adjustables for Mitsu which on my truck are still working after 270k.:Wow1:

I've also heard good things about the Rancho 9000 adjustables although some say they're not properly valved for the weight of a loaded and off road prepped Montero. The RS5000's... not so much good things. Actually, no good things at all.

Limb risers are easy to make and I can connect them to the rack when not in use. Will use stainless hardware so it will not rust.

I will be ordering the KYB shocks soon.

Lambretta

Went to Azusa Canyon this weekend. If you have never been there, it's a great place to spend a couple of hours and get home before diner. The place has rocks, hill climbs, water crossing and mud after some rain.

100_0369.jpg100_0375.jpg100_0389.jpg100_0390.jpg100_0393.jpg100_0398.jpg

Broke my Lambretta hitch cover broke off when it it a rock climbing up a hill. Might need to lift it soon.
100_0395.jpg100_0397.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger