Intro, vehicle description (95 Tahoe) and question (rather long)

HUMDEF

Hello group

I, like many noops, have been reading this forum for many months but this is my first post. It’s a long one, please forgive me.

I am genuinely impressed with the ingenuity of the builder/owners here as well as the friendly nature everyone seems to have.

My story; I have been OHV driving since I was 9. My Dad is a geologist in Nevada so I was taught young to drive OHV so I could work in the mountains with him. I also spent a lot of time in Wyoming on ranches so driving ranch and hay trucks came early. My first car was a full size bronco, followed a year later by a nicer full size bronco – been trading up ever since.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago, I was awarded several contracts in Wyoming and Colorado to patrol oil and gas pipelines and some remote uranium mines. For this, I was finally able to build my “dream” expo rig – company money! I ended up a few ticks down from my dream truck (needed a 4 door SUV so broncos were out and had to be an American car – contract requirement) but built a killer rig none the less.

I bought a 95 Tahoe 4 door 4X4 on ebay for about $3500 and promptly put over $10k into it.

List of mods:
6in racing suspension lift
16in Rockcrawler wheels + 2 spares
315/75/16 ProComp Xterras + 2 spares
Full custom exhaust (header to pipe) with Flowmaster
GM performance Parts hi-pro in-tank fuel pump (replacement for the stock one that crapped out)
K&N filter
Block heater
Full length Surco Safari roof rack (continuous mounting problems) with spare tire mount, shovel, hi-lift and ax mount.
2 rear facing off-road lights, 4 forward facing lights and 2 (1 L and R) side/down facing
3 ammo can mount bracket from a HUMVEE w/ 3 cans for tools, spare parts, jumper cables eingtc.
2 jerry cans
DOT yellow strobes + a set of small LED red and blues
12ft lighted flag whip (MHSA requirement for driving on mine sites)
Several antennas (CB, UHF/VHF and HF)
Nerf bars
Brush guard from a 2000 Tahoe – had to cut, weld and fab to make it fit but worked great
2 off-road lights mounted to brush guard

The interior was the fun part. Because we were running security patrols in very remote areas of the Rockies, year round, I had to build this thing with redundant comms, mounted computers and enough gear to survive blizzards.

Gamber Johnson center console with 2 pedestal mounts for laptops
In the console:
Cobra CB
Motorola high-power 2-way radios; X2
Barrett HF radio loaned to me by the oil company (hard to give it back; it sucked to give it back - was a killer radio)
Police scanner
XM and Sirius Sat radio heads
Full rocker switch set for off-road lights + two primary power kills pull buttons
110 power inverter
Power distribution block
Iridium sat phone
Several cell phones from different carriers (patch work of providers in BFE Wyoming)

2 Panasonic Toughbooks, 1 front, 1 rear - both connected to cell-based internet

Front laptop connected to an external Garmin GPS antenna so we could run real time nav from Garmin’s software (we were never really happy with this setup)

After market CD/MP3 head unit with CD changer (changer came with truck and survived one trip into the hills before in took a dump)

__
I never got around to completing the cargo area so all of our security gear, guns and expo gear was laid in the back in duffels. It worked but was a mess and, as I’m sure you all know, whatever I needed was in the bottom bag, so I have to unload it every time.

Over the next 2 years, I put just about 100,000 miles on that truck, 73,512 (thanks IRS for making me keep records) of them were OHV, mostly fire and oilfield roads at up to 10,000 feet. It never once gave me a bit of trouble, I never did the maintenance I should have, never got stuck (even in 5-6 ft snow drifts – close and Halliburton dispatched a D8 to get me but I got out b4 it arrived) – and only one flat tire – tread puncture from bushwhacking over sage brush. I ended up selling the contract and moving to Ohio where my wife is from because she was pregnant and we wanted to be closer to her family.

Not too long after we got here, the original rear-end ‘blew-up’ on me. The only junk yard replacement we could find was a posi out of a 99 (I think) Escalade.

So, fast forward to today, the Tahoe has been sitting behind the barn for the last two years – I only used in maybe 5 times a year to pull logs out of the bottom of the property for firewood.

I now run a small international non-profit disaster response organization; I just returned from Haiti about a week ago. While we were in Haiti, I had the wild idea to get the Tahoe rebuilt and shipped to our office in the Dominican Republic for work on the island. So, yesterday, I jumped it, drove it around a bit and parked it at the garage.

Here is my problem; the rear end, transfer case and 4wd are rock solid but the tranny is slipping a bit. I can’t say I’m surprised but none-the-less; it’s time for a new one.

My question is: It has the stock 4L60E in it; it has worked perfectly for me over the years until now and I can get a reman for about $600. Is that my best option or is there a stronger, better option that will bolt right in?

I will get some photos posted shortly for the tucks in her hay-day. I will be tearing it apart of the next few months and turning it into a really nuts expo/SAR rig. I would love input and suggestions as I do, I will post photos and updates as I go. I will also be picking your brains for ideas and solutions. I’m not really a mechanic so much of the technical stuff will require some hand holding.

I am very sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance; I’m glad to be here.

Charles aka Chic

boellis87

Observer
Lucky guy! I would love to have a job that required me to drive offroad and play out in the backcountry like that. Sounds like you've gotten solid performance out of your Tahoe. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your rig, it sounds pretty sweet. If you're looking for some inspiration on what is possible with your Tahoe, take a look at Wrench-head's rig. It's super solid and really well done. I'm fairly new here myself, but welcome to ExPo!

bftank

Explorer
tranny wise your stronger options are 5speed nv4500 or 4l80e, th400 w/od.

personally i prefer the 5 speed, but that is just me. with all your comm stuff i assum space is at a premium so if you wanted tougher i'd get the 4l80e. that being said it is kindof a toss up as to wether or not you need one only running 35's. unless you tow with it, are going to larger tires, putting even more power to it, or some combination of the 3.

that being said strength and simplicity=reliability. i am prepping my sub for one tons, staying with leaf spring and solid axles, and swapping in a 5 speed. using commonly available parts.

good luck. welcome and looking forward to some pics.

edit i second wrench head suggestion, here is link http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37105 great example of solid axle swap

Last edited:

HUMDEF

Photos

Hey guys, wow fast replys -thanks

I would like to go with a 5 speed but for a hand full of reason, I need to stay with an auto. I also want it to be as easy a swap (if I change trans model) as I can. If I stay with the same model, can you reco any internal upgrades? Shift kits etc? I am trying to build lowend without loosing too much hwy speed - MPG does not really matter.

I am going to try to post a few pics here - wish me luck....

I didn't mention in the first post, when I went to have the lift put on, I told the shop two things: 1) I need 10in clearance off the diff and I don't care how you do it and 2) if the front end is higher the ther *** end when I pick it up, I will not pay for it. The did both - Reno has some really good 4X4 shops!

This first pic was very early in the build; no nerf bars, lights and a crappy roof rack I got on Ebay like a dope - it was made from conduit. As soon as I put the spare on it, it began to break (the welds) - first 10 miles on a dirt road and it fell apart. The Maxxis tires were pretty good but sage bursh ate them up, I killed 4 over a 3 day patrol; came home and ordered the ProComps - best invest I made on the entire project!

image001.jpg

The next one was the "I love Wyoming" pic....

DSC_0014.JPG

The next two were taken on top of the Roan Plateau near Grand junction, CO - temp, -25, windchill, -40ish. This was the top of an oilfield road in Dec. - about 8500 feet above sealevel if I remember correctly.

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

Lastly, this was eastern Wyoming, in the middle of BFE (for real)

DSC_0003.JPG

These are the only photos I have on my IPOD - I will dig my build-pics and in-cap pics tomorrow and post them.

Thanks guys

Chic

02TahoeMD

Explorer
sweet Tahoe!

Kudos on a Most Excellent Rig.:smiley_drive: Where do I get a job like that?

In regards to your rig and any mods you may want to go Expo-ing, I would just address the mechanical stuff you mentioned and then add a fridge. Go have fun.

Looking forward to more pics!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
You can buy the reman 4L60e and beef it up with a Heavy Duty torque converter and a shift kit in the throttle body. That should help with longevity and fairly inexspensive. Nice Tahoe, and welcome to ExPo.

HUMDEF

thanks

datrupr

I like that idea- Im gonna drop this trans and send it down the road to a guy that rebuilds them for about $400 to see if that is a better option. It is only slipping a bit in 3 and 4. At the low end it works great. Several more tech savy buddies have sugested it may be something simple, not needing a complete rebuild. I no nothing about trans so I'll leave that evual to the experts.

Either way, a shift kit and TC may just get job done. Any recos on specifics?

I just want more lowend torque and responce - whle in 4 and 4 low.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Chic,
Sorry, I don't have info on them and it's been quite a long time since I was in the transmission business. But the HD torque converter locks up earlier and stays locked longer, designed for heavy loads (or something like that), and the shift kit causes the shifts to be firm and reduces slipping (biggest cause of transmissions wearing out, slipping is not good for them but they are designed to do it cause we pansie Americans don't like to feel our cars shift). This is also helpful when carrying loads or with all the additional weight you have on your truck.

wrench-head

Observer
You could swap in a 4L80 which is beefier if you want the automatic. The input on the t-case would need to be updated and possibly the controls in the PCM. The harness repin isn't too difficult. The NV4500 is bullet proof, but I wouldn't convert an auto rig unless I was dead set on having a manual. I bought mine with the light duty NV3500 and simply upgraded.

Personally with a small block, I would never run a 4l80. Way to lossy, and the gearing is absolutely horrible. 2.48 first versus your 3.06 and .75 overdrive versus your .70. That means terrible low end gearing and higher highway rpms. The 4l60 can handle a TBI 350 and a little more easily. Look on transmissioncenter.net for 700R4 ideas that mostly move to your 60e.

In my opinion I would stay with the 60e and just add good parts. I did the 700R4/208 to 400/205 swap and hated it in my 83 . I spent 1500 on a doubler just to get back to decent gearing, and still no overdrive. Beefy yes, but not driveable for any real distances.

Any more questions let me know, I have lots of random info rattling around in my head.

-Alex

Last edited:
nice post

What kind of geologist is your dad? I am a geologist too engineering/ construction in so cal area. Your job seems like a dream job what is it you actually did do? besides have fun exploring back roads and security for Oil or mines? I also drove a tahoe but it was a 2 door. I put 187,000 miles on it actually more but i had bigger tires with a 3/4 ton torsion bar swap and small rear lift. My tranny went out at 80k had the reman put in and on the day I sold it it was still solid, engine too.

bftank

Explorer
hey i've been on top of the roan plateau, hauling sand for the frac jobs. except i was in an 80,000 lbs peterbuilt fully locked with icebiters all the way around. fun times! it's beautiful in the spring and the fall. were you up garden gulch, conoco phillips, encana land, or wheeler gulch areas? maybe piceance creek area?

checkout

bowtie overdrives
monster transmission

i'd be careful spending $400 on a tranmission with someone you don't know or trust.

when they upgrad the 4l60e they use quite a few corvette parts from what i understand. i second keeping the tranny and upgrading it.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
I guess I've gotten lucky. I've owned three 4L60E's one in a Camaro I raced, one in a truck that I towed 6,000lbs with all over the east US, and one that had 210,000 on with no service, all with NO problems.

Personally, I'd stick to a rebuilt 4l60 just for simplicities sake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78