Introducing Rosa, FG bus build

Magnetixx

Hello!
It's been a while since I've been here. Started a build thread about 8 years ago but with a new baby, job and family stuff the truck got built but the online posts didn't. Gonna try and do a bit better this time.

Our subject is a 1992 Mitsubishi Rosa 4x4 camper, imported from Japan earlier this year. Found this lil gal in Sacramento, CA and my wife and I both got a terminal case of van fever upon discovering it. Two weeks later (last weekend) we put a deposit on it while we sell some stuff to make room and cash for it.

We live in northern Nevada where the weather is extreme and after a variety of camping arrangements we knew we needed a hard-sided camper to stay out during winter and the various gales, freezes, dust devils etc. that plague the area. After rambling Europe in a van, our family of three knew we could handle a smaller rig but when we saw Rosa it was clear that a bit bigger would be a lot better. I'm a 4x4 nut and have wanted an FG for a while so this fit the bill.

I haven't found much information about Rosas so far, as they appear to be all but nonexistent in the States and aren't commonly made into campers in Aus like the Toyota Coaster. Nevertheless, the Rosa has good bones. A 1992 FG at heart, its got low range, massive axles, leaf springs, manual trans, 4.2L mechanical diesel. Also, this specimen has already been made into a camper so no removing gross seats and building stuff. Its got an inverter, fridge, dining area and convertible bed. It even came equipped with a full karaoke setup! Plans are to do a bit of clean up, examine and verify the various electrical add-ons, translate some Japanese signage, remove the lower body skirt, service the engine and put some real tires on it then just go. Which leads me to a question for the Fuso knowledgable. This bus has cast 17.5" 5 lug wheels on it. I found a set of 16" stock wheels that I want to use to run 315/75r16s but I don't have the bus in front of me and the wheels have to be ordered. Does anyone know if 16s will clear the front drums? My reading seems to indicate that 17.5"ers came after 1992 and I suspect they were added as part of the camper conversion as they match color. I'd like to order the wheels and tires so I could slap em on when we get the bus but don't want to find out they're too small. Also, if anyone has a set of 5 lug 17" super singles laying around (fat chance), I'd make a deal on em. So, allow me to present Rosa!IMG_8113.jpeg
We pick her up in a few weeks. More to come...
Dan

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
It's a very unique look. Another one was posted here in 2018. Not sure who picked it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior