Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

fourfa

Observer
I did the drilling at the work machine shop today. Gotta say, I'm impressed by the stiff pre-punched cardboard drill templates, which drop tightly onto the stud in the latch mechanism. Makes it trivially easy to mark the centers with a spring loaded center punch. The nylon housings drill easily with just finger grip, and using the drill diameters they recommend, the template keeps the drills going in on-center. Very simple and precise.

The actuator base plates are threaded, so you put the mounting screws thru the housing into the base plate. Pretty clever package

kthompson

Finally getting around to connecting my electrical system. The shop connected the brake light at install, but I was planning to run the rest.

When looking at the wires, I seem to me missing the Pink master negative? Maybe a stupid question, but would this have been run as a ground in the brake light install?

Attachments

• 1683498236845186377919202893402.jpg
    1683498236845186377919202893402.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

MR E30

Finally getting around to connecting my electrical system. The shop connected the brake light at install, but I was planning to run the rest.

When looking at the wires, I seem to me missing the Pink master negative? Maybe a stupid question, but would this have been run as a ground in the brake light install?

Yes, this is exactly what I did when I wired up my brake light. They have connected the pink negative to ground somewhere (I did mine behind my drivers side taillight) in order for the brake light to function.

I didn't install an extra ground for the remaining wiring that came in the ACCC, as none of the lights/chargers are sufficiently large enough to need another one.

kthompson

Yes, this is exactly what I did when I wired up my brake light. They have connected the pink negative to ground somewhere (I did mine behind my drivers side taillight) in order for the brake light to function.

I didn't install an extra ground for the remaining wiring that came in the ACCC, as none of the lights/chargers are sufficiently large enough to need another one.

Good to know, thank you! After doing some further digging and tracing wires yesterday I suspected as much, but couldn't actually find where it was grounded to.

MR E30

my canopy camper is starting to show its age on the outside. anyone wax their camper?

How old is it? Black powder coat? Where do you live? Parked outside?

Mine is 1.5 yrs old now, doesn't fit in the garage, but I park it under a tree most days.

I don't wax mine. Yet. It still looks plenty good for me. Just curious about yours.

gnel

Mine still looks good after 4+ years (sans the pin striping;)) but the black gussets have lost alot of paint.
Mine lives indoors when not on the road. Never been waxed.

rtcorbett

black, lives outside - im the third owner and both were located in the north. idk about the first owner but the second kept it outside in the PNW. think its one of the first to make it to the US - so its got some hours in the elements.

Stevieb.o.g

I’ve tracked down a leak into my CC. got my daughter to spray the hose on it while I was inside. It is coming through the top corners of the side doors. with the hose sprayed directly on those corners, a lot of water is coming through. Not just seeping in.
questions
1) Is this normal or was there something missed at the factory or during instal.
2) any idea how to fix this? I can’t just jam a bunch of sikaflex in there as it’s open when the side doors are open.
apppreciate any insight.
thanks.

MR E30

I can say that this is not normal. My Canopy Camper does not do this, and I use a small pressure washer (1800 psi, not one of those killer 3500 psi ones) when I wash it, and I don't notice even a drop.

rtcorbett

HELP!! One of my rear windows on the truck got busted out.. :( Has anyone successfully got a rear window replaced WITHOUT removing the camper?

The culprit was an 813 Fab rotopax holder. Guess it was too close to the rear windows and a large enough bump pressed it up against the glass and.. well.. im dreading the possibility of having to get the camper removed to replace the glass. TIA

MR E30

HELP!! One of my rear windows on the truck got busted out.. :( Has anyone successfully got a rear window replaced WITHOUT removing the camper?

The culprit was an 813 Fab rotopax holder. Guess it was too close to the rear windows and a large enough bump pressed it up against the glass and.. well.. im dreading the possibility of having to get the camper removed to replace the glass. TIA
Would you be willing to share a photo or two of the setup that caused the issue. Did you have the mount installed on the exterior of the back wall or something?

I would be willing to bet that I could install a new rear window on my truck, without removing the camper, if I had to. I'd probably have to remove one of the filler panels you install on the side of the camper though.

byebyerich

It's very very hard to 100% seal everything. I use butyl and Sikaflex under the bedside caps and I still get some dust here and there. I suspect one of the reasons is the bed deflects quite a bit, especially with the weight of the camper in. When deflection happens, gaps will open up and will let dust in.

My solution was to put the full Bedrug kit on the bed before adding any accessories. This way any dust that comes in is trapped under the rug and doesn't come to the surface. Also, it acts as a very nice insulation.
Hi Aleja ! Where you able to put the bedrug after having the alucab on your truck ? with my ford ranger it seems it may be a bit complicated the way the fit kit is made. same for butyl under the bedside caps : too late ! that's sad, because I told them on installation I saw it should be done, but they didn't care. I not only have dust, I have water coming in :-(

Aleja_333

Hi Aleja ! Where you able to put the bedrug after having the alucab on your truck ? with my ford ranger it seems it may be a bit complicated the way the fit kit is made. same for butyl under the bedside caps : too late ! that's sad, because I told them on installation I saw it should be done, but they didn't care. I not only have dust, I have water coming in :-(
I installed the bedrug before the camper but I don’t see why you couldn’t install it after the fact. Unless the Ranger have drastically different camper attachment points, you should be able to get the bedrug no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears