INTRODUCING THE GOAT SHELL!!! A lightweight hard sided popup up camper shell.

UHAULER

Explorer
Just thinking that making the cabover as long as the cab involves little downside (and most trucks have crew cabs these days) and frees up more interior space when the bed is used. Very helpful for two people.
I don't get why more campers don't use all of the space above the cab.

Goat Shells

Just thinking that making the cabover as long as the cab involves little downside (and most trucks have crew cabs these days) and frees up more interior space when the bed is used. Very helpful for two people.

Your right there would be very little downside to making it longer. I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the input!

rruff

Explorer
I don't get why more campers don't use all of the space above the cab.

Only thing I can think of is structural worries. It isn't hard to make it strong and stiff enough, though.

Your right there would be very little downside to making it longer. I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the input!
(y)

Maybe you haven't gotten this far in your concepts, but I was wondering if you are planning an aluminum frame with panels attached, panels with aluminum edges, aluminum frame inside the panels, or... ?

Goat Shells

Only thing I can think of is structural worries. It isn't hard to make it strong and stiff enough, though.

(y)

Maybe you haven't gotten this far in your concepts, but I was wondering if you are planning an aluminum frame with panels attached, panels with aluminum edges, aluminum frame inside the panels, or... ?
Panels connected through aluminum edges. Also for the cab over section there will be extra support added so it can withstand the weight of people and gear up there.

Photobug

I can tell you right now the Goat Shell will be a much more economical option without sacrificing on quality.

I wish you luck and would be interested. However since you only have computer generated versions of this, you have a long way to go and likely many things to overcome before you can vouch for both quality and price point. As an example have you figured out how to get the curved roof you have pictured?

rruff

Explorer
As an example have you figured out how to get the curved roof you have pictured?

Why do you think that would be hard? Slice the foam so you can curve it... the FRP skins will have no problem assuming that shape.

Another way to do it is just use thinner sheets of foam. 3/4" would probably have no problem, and for a camper that small it might be plenty of core with just one piece. I'm building my curved pieces out of 3/4" stacked and glued to make a 1.5" wall.

EDIT: Ah... but using aluminum angle will be a problem... would need custom extrusions.

Last edited:

Photobug

Why do you think that would be hard? Slice the foam so you can curve it... the FRP skins will have no problem assuming that shape.

Another way to do it is just use thinner sheets of foam. 3/4" would probably have no problem, and for a camper that small it might be plenty of core with just one piece. I'm building my curved pieces out of 3/4" stacked and glued to make a 1.5" wall.

EDIT: Ah... but using aluminum angle will be a problem... would need custom extrusions.

My concern is the amount of effort it will take to overcome these problems and others, unforeseen. Also what does curving the roof do to the structural integrity and the ability to put anything on the roof, like a kayak or solar panels.

The other concern is not a lot of meat on the bones as far as design details. The drawings look like something whipped up with Sketchup. The difference between the first rendition and the one with the cabover extension, looks as though a line was created along the radius of the top and a cabover was extended. The shape does not look workable, one more detail that needs to be worked out.

I have met with a Portal denizen local to me, who is creating a rigid popup. He is smart, experienced in fabrication accomplished before taking on his design and has had to commit a lot of time and work to get it figured out. He also had the resources to do it out of his own pocket. I am not saying it can't be done but to go from a concept in Sketchup to a working unit ready to be produced for profit is a long road.

Andrew_S

Observer
Also it will be more economical than competitors (cough cough Hiatus Campers) without sacrificing on build quality.

I recently completed a build very similar to this. The design you are proposing, if you want to be profitable, you'll be right around hiatus's price point. I would suggest you put pen to paper and start designing your frame/walls etc. The rendering you've shown of the cabover camper is impossible to package the way you've shown it. Good luck! Would love to see more hard sided pop ups on the market.

cgav8r

I would be interested, would have to know a lot more. I went to the Hiatus site yesterday and they are backed up until 22 May. There is your market analysis. Good luck, hope it works out.

rruff

Explorer
I am not saying it can't be done but to go from a concept in Sketchup to a working unit ready to be produced for profit is a long road.

Another thought... flat roof is probably a good idea. And I just realized these campers need a pretty funky door like Alaskas.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Hello fellow adventurers!

I am currently in the process of starting up a new company dubbed Goat Shells which will be producing lightweight , hard sided, popup camper shells and NEED YOUR HELP! I am a semifinalist in an entrepreneurship contest with my company in order to gain capital to start production of the Goat Shell. In order to solidify a win though I need to show the judges how much interest there is out there in a hard sided, popup camper shell. Please answer in this thread if you would be interested in possibly buying a Goat Shell when they come into production. Even though I can't give you much information right now on things such as designs and prototypes due to patents I can tell you the Goat Shell will be under 300 lbs and will give you 6 feet 6 inches of hard sided head room when it's in the popped up position! Also it will be more economical than competitors (cough cough Hiatus Campers) without sacrificing on build quality. Please help a fellow overlander out with his dream of starting a business and reply below if your interested. Thanks so much for your time. Hopefully you'll be my customers soon!

P.S. The name Goat shell is inspired by the mystical mountain goat because just like the mountain goat the Goat shell can go over any terrain as long as the vehicle it's on is capable!
Where do you plan on doing your manufacturing? Have any pictures of other camper shells you have built ? Unfortunately there is quite a few companies that try starting up with nothing more than an artist rendering and never actually get off the ground floor. If you really want to push your product need to show that you already have the skills capable of making the product.

Photobug

I recently completed a build very similar to this. The design you are proposing, if you want to be profitable, you'll be right around hiatus's price point.

One other factor in pricing: Investors. Speaking from experience, investors want a return on investment. So having investors will increase the cost of doing business. Often with startups the investors end up owning the company or selling it to other investors to recoup their money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12