Introduction Post

Steve_in_29

Even though I have made a couple of posts here is my formal introduction.

My name is Steve Urban and I am a former Marine living in 29 Palms, CA. I have visited this site (and its previous edition) off and on over the years while following links from other forums but have finally registered. I posted this here even though the forums main thrust is FWCs, since my camper is an Outfitter pop-up TC.

I have been interested for over 20 years in getting some type of expedition camper (originally considered a radio box Mog conversion) and have followed the subject with interest from the original Turtle Expedition build up as well as Bill Swails original ER on the Dodge he near destroyed in Baja. While we are very happy with our current setup we are always looking down the road. I have been giving considerable thought to what might replace it in about 8 years when I retire from Civil Service and am currently gathering info on what's available on the market and have been in contact with ER, Unicat, RUF, and XP Camper so far. I am hoping to expand my knowledge about these vehicles and to share my own experiences as well.

I have been doing back country camping for over 40 years. First as a kid and young man with a backpack and tent (not counting quite a bit with the Marines). Then with my 83 FJ60 (bought new, lifted, Chevy350, fuel injected, bullbar, interior cage) and used Packmule trailer (but still tenting it). After 12 years I swapped the FJ for a 73 Early Bronco (that I heavily modified) but kept the trailer and tent (which we still use when the occasion demands. I have over 30 years of off-road experience in both modifying vehicles as well as driving them on everything up to the Hammer Trails.

We started RVing with a Class C that we traded for a Class A and after repeatedly getting the A stuck out in the desert and Baja, we decided that a smaller rig with 4WD fitted our needs better. After a couple of years of research. starting with the Alaskan, we finally took the plunge on a new 2004 Outfitter Apex8 (preferred the Apex9.5 but had already bought a shortbed truck). We had it heavily optioned and customized to better fit our needs. We used it in the SoCal deserts, Big Bear and Baja.

Here are some pics of that rig in use.
TCreststopinFlagstaffcropped3.jpg

LastcampinBaja-1.jpg

Bajastuckresized.jpg

We liked it so much that after a couple years of use when the opportunity to upgrade to the bigger Apex9.5 presented itself we had no hesitation.

And again I worked with Bob at Outfitter to make changes. The biggest of which were to totally redesign the LP/closet cabinet to allow replacing the single 40lb tank with dual 20lb tanks on a slider and replacing the original closet with a long drawer and shallow pantry cabinet. I also had them redesign the battery compartment to take (4) 6V AGM batteries.

The roof framing was rearranged to accommodate my (3) 90W solar panels, two vents, the PolarCub A/C unit and my rear storage pod. All this while keeping the pas-side clear from front to rear to accommodate a possible future kayak.

Our switch from a CC/SB truck to a SC/LB kept us at the same overall length even with the longer camper. The new truck carries the heavier camper better then our previous one did and sits barely on the overloads when loaded. Future plans for the truck include a 3" lift and possibly airbags to get the tail end up a total of approx 6"s when loaded for better clearance. The new truck isn't fully broken in yet but I am averaging aporx 14mpg on the Highway when loaded and the truck barely knows the camper is back there.

Here is a list of my camper's specs:

2007 Outfitter Apex 9.5
Extended cabover bed (full queen)
Over dinette slide out bed (converted to storage drawer)
Tundra fridge (4.2cf) with internal venting (no exterior vents)
Stove/oven
20K BTU ducted furnace (added ducts into bathroom and cabover)
Polar Cub A/C w/heat strip
Wall mounted digital thermostat, controlling furnace,A/C,heat strip
Atwood XT 6gal water heater (DSI gas/electric)
Nature Pure water filter
Shureflo Extreme series Smart Sensor water pump (mounted in basement)
(2) 20lb LP tanks on slide out tray (replaced single 40lb tank)
Automatic change over LP regulator
Interior indicator for LP regulator
Cassette toilet (plumbed to TC water supply) w/add-on sprayer
Extra outside storage compartment in place of now unneeded black tank
Outside shower
Water inlets behind locking door
270W of solar ((3) 90W panels on tiltable mounts)
Solar Boost 2000e controller
Xantrex Prosine 2KW inverter (100A 3-stage charger/50A shorepower relay)
(4) Lifeline AGM batteries (440AH)
10' side crank out awning
Will get a rear awning (a new style) once development is finalized
(2) per side scare lights
(2) rear porch lights (1 amber/1 white)
Tan Weblon (heavier duty) interior softwall
Oversized overhead cabinet on drivers side
Additional overhead cabinet on pass side
(2) Shureflo Platinum Series roof vents
Roof storage pod
Electric jacks (mounted 4" higher) w/6" leg extensions
Microwave
44gal water tank
16gal gray water tank
Electric tank valve
Electric lift for roof
Extra drawers instead of stereo
Additional insulation in basement of tub
Removable shore power cord
(4) narrow racks on pas-side roof
Extra 120V/12V power outlets throughout TC
LED bulbs in interior light fixtures
(2) Honda 2000i's w/homemade parallel cord
Originally had Torklift tie downs but have since switched to HappiJaks

Here are some pics of our new rig:
P3170099.jpg

Stretching her legs on the White Rim Trail and a view of the roof layout.

Underbedstorage.jpg

Plenty of underbed storage for bulky items.

Pas-sideunderbeddrawer-overheadcabi.jpg

The over-dinette drawer that we converted from a bed to storage by adding the long sliders.

LPslideouttraycloseup-small.jpg

This is the dual tanks on their slider during construction. These replaced a single upright 40lb tank.

Pas-sideLPcabinetstorage-small.jpg

The new drawer and pantry. This was originally a closet before my mods.

Cassettetoiletstowedforshower-small.jpg

Cassette toilet stowed for extra legroom during showers.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Steve your current camper is my dream. I currently have a 10' Lance hard side and it is very limited on where you can take it. I have seen your posts over on the RV websites, but I didn't see the pictures, very nice.

Jack

Steve_in_29

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Due to conflicting schedules my wife and I don't get to camp any where near as much as we would like. So it is always interesting to read about others experiences.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Welcome to the forum Steve - :beer:

After sitting in WyomingShooter's Apex, I must admit I was thoroughly impressed. I think they are a great camper with tons of ammenties and lots of storage, something the FWC's sorely lack.

Looking forward to hearing more about your travels. And congrats on the new truck too.

:campfire:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179