Inverter Generators and Jerry Cans

Snarky

Hell Paso
I'm interested in discovering whether anyone here has worked on extending the fuel capacity of Inverter type generators.

Specifically, I'm interested in extending the capacity of the Yamaha EF2000IS. Though I am also interested in the EU2000 or any other comparable generators.
ef2000is_s2_1c22a347.jpg

I'm wondering if it's possible to use a standard metal jerry can as a fuel source.
jerry-can-red-metal-5-gallon-tank-11010r_2587.jpg

Hopefully, with as little modification as possible, I'm envisioning a jerry can modified cap with a hard pickup tube that goes to the bottom, connected via hose to spare generator cap. With the idea being that you can swap fuel cans as they get depleted. I'm hoping to see if someone has done more than just poured the fuel into the top of the gen.

I've seen some fuel setups such as this:
YMAI1-000iD-2.jpg

This seem to utilize a marine type fuel cell as the fuel source and then some connectors. I'm wondering if these systems rely on carb vacuum or gravity siphoning or what?

I'm hoping to use one of these generators long term to power a small self contain A/C unit for desert days and gulf coastal use.
climate-right-cr-7000-1-l.jpg

At then some high powered lighting at night for evening surf fishing.
c697bcef-efaa-4cef-83da-3e3fc8d9fca3_400.jpg

I'm also interested in any LNG or propane conversions done on these types of generators, if anyone has something they would like to show off.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The Hondas have a vacuum driven fuel pump. It uses vacuum pulses from the intake manifold to activate the diaphragm to pump the fuel.

So extended run tanks work fine on the Honda, because you can just plumb the fuel feed from the external tank into the fuel cap, and the fuel pump will create a vacuum in the fuel tank, which will pull in fuel from the external tank.

A generator without a fuel pump, or without a sealed fuel tank/cap which allows vacuum to be created, won't suck in fuel from the external tank, so you have rig a gravity feed for that.

I don't recall offhand if the Yamahas have a fuel pump, but a vacuum impulse fuel pump can be fitted to any little thumper engine if you can find a place to tap vacuum on the intake manifold.

With propane of course, it's irrelevant since the fuel is under pressure to begin with.

Last edited:

Snarky

Hell Paso
I forgot about youtube now having better explainations than google now sometimes.

The first video with the racing square cans is cool. Seem like as long as can get a seal it should work.

TCcruzn

Observer
I have modified a blitz jerry can to work with my Yammy 2000. i ordered a new gas cap from Wise Sales for the genny. I installed marine quik disconnects on the cap and drilled out the jerry can cap for one too. I also drilled a hole up high on the side of the jerry can and installed a bleeder valve usually used on compressor tanks. To use the set up I just put on the gas cap with the fitting, connect a marine hose with the little bulb in it between the genny and the jerry can and once the genny is running I open the bleeder valve a little. It works great and should fuel the genny for 40 hours or so. PM me for photos

Snarky

Hell Paso
I have modified a blitz jerry can to work with my Yammy 2000. i ordered a new gas cap from Wise Sales for the genny. I installed marine quik disconnects on the cap and drilled out the jerry can cap for one too. I also drilled a hole up high on the side of the jerry can and installed a bleeder valve usually used on compressor tanks. To use the set up I just put on the gas cap with the fitting, connect a marine hose with the little bulb in it between the genny and the jerry can and once the genny is running I open the bleeder valve a little. It works great and should fuel the genny for 40 hours or so. PM me for photos

That's really cool. Glad to see i wasn't the only one with this idea. Those marine plastic tanks are okay, but the metal tanks pretty much last forever and are repairable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman