Inverter recommendations and distance from battery

cbradley

Adventurer
I am looking at installing a pure sinewave inverter in the 4Runner. Presently I am looking at A Xantrex Prowatt SW 600w. Is anyone familiar with these units? It's right at my budget of about $150. Any other recommendations?

Also, I noticed that the manufacturer recommends that the run from the battery be no longer than 6 feet. I'd hoped to install the inverter in the rear cargo space, which is probably more like a 10 foot run. Is there a reasonable and safe way to go further, perhaps with thicker gauge cables to mitigate voltage drop?

Thank you for any help you may have.

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
I have one and it works great. Not sure at the load you are looking to run off of it.

As for distance, while mine is about 1 foot from the battery, I don't see why you would have any issues if you ran 2 or 1g for a longer run.

cbradley

Adventurer
The load should be pretty minimal. It's intended for charging two laptops and the like and occasionally for charging power tools. I suppose I might run a coffee grinder on it on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keezer37

Explorer
Consider carefully what you might run in the future. 600W is not much. I run a Tripplite 1000W. It's adequate. Don't know how clean the power is. I never seen it on a scope. On a couple occasions I wished I had the 1800W to run corded power tools. Probably best that I don't.

762X39

Explorer
I run a 1kw inverter under the back seat of my F150 and the run is about 12 feet. Since I am past the limit for minimal voltage loss I had to go with 00 cable. My inverter can draw 120 amps easy from the battery. A 600 watt inverter can draw 70 amps from the battery so you should mount it closer to the battery or get some welding cable (pos and neg) to connect it. You will use it close to capacity more often than you may be willing to admit (or think).:coffee:

cbradley

Adventurer
What all are you guys connecting to your inverter? I didn't really have anything in mind to run other than recharging various batteries. I suppose I need to think this through a little more.

keezer37

Explorer
Aside from the usual chargers, a four cup coffee pot - 750W. My main motivation for going to 1000W. I could not find a coffee pot that used less power at the time.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I've run my 3 gallon 110V compressor (used as 'On Board Air':elkgrin:) Tried a 12 cup coffee pot, found it easier to use my Jet Boil and press.

Usually it's just charging batteries/cordless tool batteries.

But I have run a 4 1/2" mini grinder and a 3/8" drill on mine. I'm running an 800W with about 10 feet of wire.

The grinder and drill put it to the max, to much pressure and it trips the inverter.:snorkel:

But both the grinder and drill have come in handy on the trail for repairs.

I have since gotten cordless drill and grinder, so all mine sees now is the compressor, charging batt's, and running the coffee grinder.

:coffeedrink:

Jay H

servicedriven.org
With inverters bigger is better just like power supplies, running them close to there ratings means more heat and less life.
With the install of an inverter big wires are good. Mine is hard wired with a fuse and relay connected to the ignition so it can only run with the key in. This is good because a lot of inverters draw some power even when they are switched off. In my vehicle I was lucky enough to have a location to mount it right up next to the steering linkage under the dash. Its out of the way and still has good ventilation and it not under the hood. I would never put one under the hood unless its sealed and IP67 rated. My inverter is a 400 continuous 800 peak. I wish I would have gone bigger and with a nicer more expensive unit. On a hot day the cooling fan runs a lot, and its loud. With a higher rated 800 continuous 1200 peak the fan would probably never come on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears