inverters, ac, heating, cooking

llirttoc

This is my first post :) . Discovered this forum on a link from ADVrider to an Overland expo event. I am in the process of building a '79 Bronco into an expo unit and started researching my ideas here. I used the search function. After reading for two hours and forty min. Thought I'd make a new post. A few questions reguarding powering things. My truck does not have AC, witch is fine with me but have been over ruled by "the family". My thoughts are, a large inverter (http://www.theinverterstore.com/?gclid=CIzCsvP--qMCFd9n5Qod5W-7LA)
to power all things 120v. Electric skilet, small bath room heater, fridge, micro wave, fans, etc. Thought an AC unit similar to this: (http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Do...-Optional-Remote-Trailer-Camper-RV_p_918.html) might work to keep us cool while traveling or parked for the evening camping. My truck has a 400 amp alt. and a yellow top main. Is it possible to have enought reserve batts and solar pannels, with in reason to do this? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for your time :smiley_drive:
Jeff

This is my first post :) . Discovered this forum on a link from ADVrider to an Overland expo event. I am in the process of building a '79 Bronco into an expo unit and started researching my ideas here. I used the search function. After reading for two hours and forty min. Thought I'd make a new post. A few questions reguarding powering things. My truck does not have AC, witch is fine with me but have been over ruled by "the family". My thoughts are, a large inverter (http://www.theinverterstore.com/?gclid=CIzCsvP--qMCFd9n5Qod5W-7LA)
to power all things 120v. Electric skilet, small bath room heater, fridge, micro wave, fans, etc. Thought an AC unit similar to this: (http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Do...-Optional-Remote-Trailer-Camper-RV_p_918.html) might work to keep us cool while traveling or parked for the evening camping. My truck has a 400 amp alt. and a yellow top main. Is it possible to have enought reserve batts and solar pannels, with in reason to do this? Any advice is appreciated.

Jeff

I would say not "with in reason". You would need a gianormase battery bank to do this. I would suggest a 2 burner propane stove, not sure what you want to heat, 12 volt fridge, microwave you could do if it was small enough, and go with 12 volt for the fans also. Maybe for the ac have a generator or just rely on shore power. For the smallest ac listed in your link they say you would need a 2.5kw generator (look under the "leaflet" link).

Last edited:

llirttoc

I would like to heat the inside of the truck with out the engine running. When camping in the cold it's nice to have heat. My link to the ac unit is an example of what I came across. May be some one is using a smaller unit or a house unit might work as well? I would like to stay all electric. The ac would be used to cool while driving so plugging in wold not be practical. I will contact the inverter store about what kind of power they recommend for the 8000w msw inverter. A skilet, fridge, micro wave, and fan should be doable.
Thanks
Jeff

theksmith

Explorer
IMO, for heat, 12v electric blankets are the most efficient form. this delivers heat directly to you instead of needing to warm the entire cab, and therefore will use less juice in the end.

do you plan to sleep within the vehicle or will you be doing a RTT or traditional tent? overall it sounds like you are trying to turn your vehicle into an RV, in which case be prepared to spend plenty of money and look at RV oriented websites for parts. otherwise stick with propane for things like tent heaters, small stoves, etc.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
.... I will contact the inverter store about what kind of power they recommend for the 8000w msw inverter. A skilet, fridge, micro wave, and fan should be doable.
Thanks
Jeff

At a guess, I'd say they will tell you that a couple of golf cart batteries will do it easily - or if you are lucky enough to strike an honest, knowledgeable salesman, he will suggest a drastic rethink. Ah, I see their blurb suggests "Perfect for multiple appliances. Over 66 amps. Power stoves, fans, refrigerators, freezers, tools and much more!". 'Nuff said!

8000W translates into about 800 Amps at 12V, half that at 24V.

To supply this sort of current for more than a few minutes without damaging the battery would require a12v battery bank with a capacity of say 3500Ah.

3500Ah of AGM batteries will weigh over a ton
Then there is the huge problem of how to charge the batteries when they get discharged (after about an hour at that discharge rate). Solar panels? Perhaps 2000Watts? Generator plus a BIG charger??

How big is your rig?
Why do you need an 8000W inverter?

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
How big is the "family"?
A Bronco is a pretty small platform for an Expo rig IMHO, by the time you start adding appliances there won't be much room for passengers.

BirdMan

Is it possible to have enought reserve batts and solar pannels, with in reason to do this? Any advice is appreciated.

Jeff

Solar is nice, but when you camp, most people look for shade or create it. If your rig is outfitted with solar panels it would need to be in the direct sun, right?
Also, for optimum charging you need direct aspect to the sun.Think of your panel, flat on the roof, the sun comes up, goes over and down. Even in say an open field, you only get direct sun/optimum charging from say 11 am till 3pm.

One option to think about, a tent that attaches to the rear of your truck. Then like 2 or 3 of the pricey roll up solar panels, draped over the tent.

chasespeed

Explorer
No way on a 8000w invertor....

I have a 1500w pure sine, RUNNING(NOT PEAK), 100% duty cycle. And, the cost was phenomenal to the company that purchased it. They buy them in bulk, and I snagged it at a smokin price when they retired the truck, and parted some of it out....

It draws a solid 1A, sitting idle.....

Anyway, I had a bronco, and you are NOT going to stuff all that into that platform, and take a family. You couldnt do that, and sleep in it(negating the need for the heat).

Honestly, go with propane for most of your needs. You can get a 20pounder, mount it on the spare carrier. and split everything, run a stove, lantern, even a heater. Heck, you could grab a small heater out of an old truck camper, and build that in...

Microwave.......

to run any amount of electrical, for a long time, w/o starting and running the engine, is going to take some serious batteries.

When I am working my inverter hard, I can here my engine load down, and I have 2 1050 CCA batteries, and a 190 amp alt...

when your engine isnt at operating RPMs, its not working to its rating(if at all), nevermind charging....(some alts ARE different).

I really, honestly, think you are asking too much, based on your platform, and needs. A fullsize van, or crew cab fullsize might be more in order....

Chase

dhvsfan

A guidline is to avoid 120 volt anything. Stay with 12 volt. Inverting from 12 VDC to 120 VAC is a loosing idea. Inverters waste energy in the form of heat. With 120 VAC shore power you can afford the energy loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears