iPhone 5 speculation

haven

Expedition Leader
By many accounts, Apple is gearing up for an October 15th release (or at least the announcement) of the next generation iPhone. Speculation mode on!

-- iPhone 5 will have a dual core processor called the A5, based on the ARM Cortex A9 license design. The current iPhone uses the A4, a version of the ARM A8 single core design. This will make the phone faster/more responsive, and will allow Apple to open up the OS to more multi-tasking.

-- Battery life of the iPhone 5 won't be affected much by the faster processor. The A5 will be built with 22 nanometer spacing of wires and components. This means less power loss. The A4, in contrast, is built using a 45 nanometer process.

-- The A5 will be built for Apple by (drum roll, please) Intel. Samsung built the A4, but Apple and Samsung are suing each other all over the world right now.

-- the rear-facing camera will be updated to an 8 megapixel model, provided by Sony. Front-facing will remain 1 megapixel, so Facetime transmissions won't kill the cell phone carriers' networks.

-- Overall, the iPhone 5 will be a little larger than the 4.5" x 2.31" x 0.37" inch dimensions of the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 will have tapered sides to hide the new size and to make it easy to hold. Weight will be similar to the iPhone 4, about 4.8 oz.

-- The iPhone 5 will adopt the iPad 2's appearance, with aluminum back and black glass front.

-- iPhone 5 will be the first release of iOS 5. This is the version that is designed to run on both the iPhone and iPad. You can read about new features in iOS 5 online. A beta was released in June.

-- Apple's display will expand from the current 3.5 inches to about 4 inches. This will allow the screen resolution of the iPhone (currently 960 x 640 pixels) to be updated to 1024 x 768, the same resolution as the iPad. This will allow developers to design the user interface for iPhone to be the same as iPad. Older iPhone apps will run with a thin black border.

-- The new screen and faster processor will delay the delivery of the iPhone 5. They will be in short supply until next Spring.

Apple will also announce a new version of the iPhone 4 design, called the 4S. This phone will be Apple's entry level model, sold alongside the iPhone 5 and the current iPhone 4. The 4S will have 8 GB of flash memory (the iPhone 4 has a minimum of 16), and will be less expensive. I'm guessing $99.

That's my prognostication. What's your best guess?

ShoxX

Observer
It also won't be 4g capable. At least that is the word on the street at AT&T and Verizon....

Yeah they're confused too......

Cody1771

Explorer
good luck getting them after they release, Iphones have a cult following and they will be sold out for months, just like every model when it releases. unless you can find a shop willing to hold one for you but be prepared for a LONG list to wait on.

I, am new to the portal and I dont think it gets any better than this. A forum where I can learn about how to build an overland vehicle, and swoopie cool new tech!:Wow1:
Thanks for all the informative threads.

crawldit

Adventurer
I can admit that I'm an Apple fanboy. With an Ipod Touch, Iphone 4, Apple TV, Ipad and a Macbook Pro; I just love the quality of their gadgets. I am really excited for an Iphone 5 with a potentially larger screen. My previous four phones were Androids and I had grown accustomed to the larger 4" screens. A 0.5" doesn't seem like a big difference but in the real world I found the difference to be noticable. In fact the 3.5" screen is the only thing I dislike about my Iphone 4. Well that and I REALLY miss SWYPE. I hope that someday that keyboard will be available on iOS.

On a side note, there is a screenshot floating around showing the IPhone 4s as being listed on AT&T's internal system. There are also a number of images floating around of supposed Iphone 5 cases that corroborate the rumored change in size and design. I guess we will find out soon enough what is actually fact and what was merely rumor.

ShoxX

Observer
True 4G is still very limited, there are only a handfull of major cities that have true 4G service.

We are working on it. VZW 4G will be active by years end here locally. AT&T will be 4g ready this time next year. Upgrading to 4g is slower than upgrading to 3g. Most carriers only need to perform radio upgrades to be 3g. 4g is on a new frequency and in most places fiber to the cell sites is required since 4g won't really perform on copper landlines.

I wouldn't mine getting the Iphone 5 but the fact the release a new one every 12 months makes me not want to spend $300-400 just feel outdated the following year. But hey, I guess that goes for all technologies.

reece146

Automotive Artist
The rumour I've heard regarding 4G and the iPhone5 is that Apple has not been able to find a suitable chipset that does not suck back the juice too quickly. So, it's not going to be a 4G phone.

The chip sets are not up to Apple's expectation levels. 4G service is not widely available yet.

haven

Expedition Leader
Perhaps to blunt the effect of the announcement of the iPhone 5, Korean phone makers Samsung and LG have announced new top-end models. Both have dual core processors running at 1.5 GHz, 1280x720 pixel screens (4.5 inches for LG, 4.65 inches for Samsung), and LTE data service. Neither company announced prices or the date of availability.

Samsung
http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/26/samsung-galaxy-ii-hd-lte-launch-korea-316ppi/

LG
http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/19/lg-lu6200-720p-display-pictures/

Phone maker HTC is rumored to have a similar device in preparation for Verizon Wireless, but no announcement has been made.

haven

Expedition Leader
Add Sharp to the group of phone makers with an extra-extra-large screen: The Sharp Aquos 102SH phone has a 4.5-inch display with 720 x 1280 resolution, and glasses-free 3D effect. This model will probably be for Japan only, but once again it shows that phone makers are raising the bar for smart phone screen size and pixel density.

Surely Apple will follow suit with the new iPhone. We'll find out Oct. 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle