ipod like stereo controls

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
I've come to the point where I need to replace the stereo in my TJ. I'm looking for a stereo that has the most ipod friendly interface. I had a Sony before, and eventhough it would control the ipod, it wasn't very easy. If the connection is via USB, I would like the cord to enter the back of the unit, as the ipod will be locked in the glovebox. I've seen the Alpine and Pioneer units that some other people have mentioned here and on other boards, but I'm just trying to get as much information as I can before I make a purchase. Thank you.

emohn

Observer
I've been doing the exact same research for my new TJ and keep coming back to the Alpines. I've spent quite a bit of time playing with a friend of mine's 9885 and I can say that the Alpine 988x series of stereos has what I feel to be the best duplication of the iPod controls.

That being said, a few cautions... Most, if not all, of the iPod controlling stereos that connect via USB play the files on the iPod via direct file access, not by streaming the audio in some way. Why is this important? Well, if you've got an iPod Touch or iPhone and have an app that produces sound/music (like Pandora or Last.fm, which many people say will kill satellite radio now), these units will not stream that audio. So you may need to look into a unit that just makes use of a 3.5mm stereo aux-input rather than a USB connection. You lose the ability to remotely control the iPod and keep it locked away, but if playing more than just MP3's is important to you (as I imagine it would be to most iPhone or iPod Touch owners) then it's something to consider.

Lastly, the stereos aren't always up to date on technology if they've been out for a year or two, so many don't work with the newer Nanos, iPod Touch, and iPhones. They may play the music and control it, but not charge, or some combination thereof.

I would strongly urge you to take whatever iPod you have with you to a store like Best Buy (or even better, a local car stereo store where people actually know what they're doing) and ensure that everything works before you pull the trigger.

If you've got one of the older iPods ('Classic', 4G, 3G, Photo, Video, etc) then I strongly stick by my recomendation for the 988x alpines. Check eBay for them - good deals to be had.

-Erik

ddawson

Adventurer
I've had an Alpine unit in my truck now for two years. I am inside right now so I don't know what the model number is. I use the Ipod interface daily, and having the controls in the headunit is great. I have an older Ipod and it works very well. I did a lot of research before purchasing and am happy with my decision. I would also suggest speaking with the guys at BestBuy, they're normally pretty good.

troy

Adventurer
I have been using an Alpine interface with my 9887? deck. I have no experience with other brands, but I really like it and use it daily.

I keep an older 30g ipod hidden under the center console. It is a little slower than the ipdod's direct contols, but the search functions and displays are easy to use. Ditto on using the volume wheel to scroll versus using the keys.

kjp1969

Explorer
I have a Dual headunit with integrated Ipod controls. It is cheap, but as counter-intuitive as you could possibly imagine. Stay away!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've been impressed with Pioneer's dust resistance so when it came time to put a stereo in the Sub I bought a Pioneer. At that time they required a separate adapter to work with an iPod. The user interface is a little wonky on the early stuff, but when the unit in Patch finally failed (no idea how old, came to me in the truck in '98) I bought another Pioneer. This one also needs the external adapter, but the interface is better.

I've been looking into replacing the FJ60's Sony (with it's flashing lights, buzzers, and disco ball) and what I'm seeing is that the adapter is no longer needed. The std iPod to USB cable works. The model that I read about last night will work with either song/playlist/album/etc. selection from the front end or from the iPod. I don't know how well this works, but I'll be finding out shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12