Iridium offers WiFi hotspot for its sat phones

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/07/iridium-axcesspoint-turns-your-satellite-phone-into-a-mobile-hot/

Iridium, maker of satellite phones and operator of a global network of low-flying satellites, just announced a $200 accessory that turns your sat phone into a WiFi hotspot. Iridium phones had data capability before, but this accessory allows you to use any WiFi-equipped device with the phone.

It's expensive to use any sat phone for data transmission (figure $1 a minute and up), but when you're far removed from cell phone service, an Iridium phone can be an essential item.

loren85022

Explorer
Ive rented the data equip twice for trips at Lake Powell. For less than $200/wk, I can stay in touch with my work and get essentials forwarded. Not cheap but worth every penny when you get back in the boonies. Nothing worse than needing to change course or distract family/friends with a trip to some wifi waves. I leave it powered and use instant messaging. very low amount of data transmission. Make sure you arent using a freebie account thats also sending advertisement banners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle