Irwin the 1995 Disco (200tdi and 5 Spd swapped)

Green96D1

Explorer
Excellent post!!!!. I have been following. I really admire your Disco. You have what we really all desire a (Manual trans/diesel). I too am kinda restoring a D1 (Auto/V8) but being in California its being geared more towards rock crawling. Keep the stories and tech coming it's very enjoyable ?

Colorofkris

Excellent post!!!!. I have been following. I really admire your Disco. You have what we really all desire a (Manual trans/diesel). I too am kinda restoring a D1 (Auto/V8) but being in California its being geared more towards rock crawling. Keep the stories and tech coming it's very enjoyable

Absolutely will! Thank you for following along. I’ve always wanted a manual Rover and when I got the chance to get a diesel too I was super excited, it really is an awesome platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorofkris

I have been slacking on posting in the disco side of things. The new Range Rover has turned out to be quite the attention seeker. That being said the Range is now finally back on the road. I will be moving the rtt over sometime this week so I can get it off the disco.

I did take the disco out last weekend for a weekend of rock climbing ( )off of NC105. I didn’t take much for pictures of the Rover since it was more of a backpacking trip then truck camping. The views out there were awesome though!

As per trip details, location is secret. I was able to get 3 solid climbs in the weekends and most certainly pushed my limits of outdoor climbing, one of which was a night climb. The food was awesome, the company was awesome, the views were awesome, the hike was awesome, and the climbing was awesome!

d5e9ebb5b8ea5811265bc7f3d57152a2.jpg

b7abe47ad2dc2d0e3ad506af52bcf31e.jpg

be7c4eae20a13d60ef98d59f3aab9a4a.jpg

2cd7b00e6d2820510feb1d6aeea3bcb1.jpg

203adfa98b74c1eda78ac6ee09f21211.jpg

e4109872a38e4322d93b9cd4bb32b95d.jpg

de6e53c5ed5ce6679f4aad272be1ed40.jpg

9a64dcf9ac70bc80a59612a8b16e08a7.jpg

Colorofkris

Went to drive home from work yesterday in the disco and the clutch pedal decided to go out, I was able to pump it and get enough pressure to get the disco home. Popped the hood and the reservoir just barely had any fluid in it. I topped it off with some DOT 4 and it made a difference at first but then lost pressure again. I’m going to try bleeding it tomorrow since they are known for holding air. I’m curious if it’s been leaking and just finally got to a point where it grabbed air. I guess I’ll find out.

Now that the Range Rover is up and running and I’m getting into motorcycle season where I can ride to and from work if need be I will start trying to tackle some more projects in the disco. She needs a lot of work!

Colorofkris

Did some digging yesterday afternoon, checked the fluid and it was substantially lower then when I filled it the previous day. I had the wife jump in and pump the clutch pedal while I inspected around and found the slave cylinder is just leaking through. I will be looking at replacing both master and slave cylinder, sadly it’s going to be sitting this week since I don’t have the time to tackle it.

I will try and replace the air box set up as well next week, the duct taped hose has definitely seen better days and I’m sure fixing that will make for a much happier disco. The plan is to go with a cylindrical style airbox similar to the ones that come standard on the 200tdi. This will also allow me to properly hook up to the snorkel unlike the notch job that the kit came with.

My goal is to spend the next few months sorting out quite a few mechanical things with the disco and as the cooler weather rolls in for fall I’m going to start tackling more welding projects. 1 thing at a time though. I’ll try and snag some photos of the leak tomorrow.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Love reading this.

Had Disco 1's (300 Tdi) and they are quite good vehicles - apart from the rust..

Now a Disco II in the workshop awaiting a chassis swop..

Please keep this tread going !

Thanks

Colorofkris

Love reading this.

Had Disco 1's (300 Tdi) and they are quite good vehicles - apart from the rust..

Now a Disco II in the workshop awaiting a chassis swop..

Please keep this tread going !

Thanks

Thank you for checking it out! Posts like this keep me going, so I greatly appreciate it!

Colorofkris

New slave cylinder for the win! Got it installed and bled out in about half an hour and the disco is running great and shifting better then it was too!

Pic of the old one and the leak.
aa22a55773145b6c269965c114dd8d37.jpg

Old slave cylinder
5138bc8ebe29c25bf8cdbb7e27be2220.jpg

New on the left and old on the right
f8ab82cbdd203c25083c0910e54e60c3.jpg

New one installed
f8c72e2708bfdd8ebea8b74e15de2385.jpg

hillstrubl

Observer
Did some digging yesterday afternoon, checked the fluid and it was substantially lower then when I filled it the previous day. I had the wife jump in and pump the clutch pedal while I inspected around and found the slave cylinder is just leaking through. I will be looking at replacing both master and slave cylinder, sadly it’s going to be sitting this week since I don’t have the time to tackle it.
If you're using a OEM master now, I'd strongly suggest this huge upgrade as a replacement.

dorman_cm106439-001_copy_1.jpg

Colorofkris

It has been a hot minute since I’ve posted on here. (Range rovers forum too).

I’ve got quite a few updates for the disco today! I haven’t had much time to work on it the past few months but she’s been running strong and still the daily driver as the Range Rover is now the wife’s lol.

So to give a run down for the past few months just a few issues I’ve ran into and how I fixed them……

1) my front end shake came back with a vengeance. Got it off the the ground and just started digging. Starting with the the hubs and moving toward the diff. I found that the bolts that hold the joint for the swivel had come loose, so I tightened those back down. Hit the road and it was a bit better but not a whole lot. Put the disco back in the air and started digging again. I found that the front left tire was worn extremely weird. I’m pretty sure it was from the play in the hub that caused it but it’s officially my spare tire now. That seemed to bring the Rover back to a normal amount of shake that I can live with.

2) I’ve had a rough start where the first minute or so it seems like it wants to idle really low then stall but it keeps running. After about a minute it peps back up and runs perfectly fine. Today I replaced the fuel filter and the air-box which seemed to do the trick. I will find out in the next few days when I go to drive it after sitting. If this doesn’t do the trick then the lifter pump is my next guess.

1e238f460c8721ad6cb512a26ef95099.jpg

3) It was time to fix the battered up old air-box. I the hose was all torn up and the box itself never really sealed which made the snorkel a pointless endeavor. I ended up rolling with a “ram” air intake which was the Amazon special. It’s essentially a cylinder style air box that pipes up to the snorkel and comes with a new duct hose for the turbo. Of course nothing fit right so I had to do some custom work and ended up coming out pretty good. My biggest issue was reusing the old air hose since the new one didn’t fit at all and reconnecting the pcv breather. With some ingenuity I was able to get it all figured out and the rovers running smoother then ever and you can hear that turbo coming from the snorkel which is pretty cool!

5352b9fc9b0339e09bc4ec94b6626a67.jpg

d28f00d7e694dccfa580659300c5c6c8.jpg

f2618e459b075ad9d62dcdb6a1c54d53.jpg

4) I got a fuse box to hook up all the Hellas again as well as some other accessories. If you read the previous posts from one of my trips the fuse on one of the sets of hellas caught fire and and I ended up yanking all the wires from the battery. That being said it will give me a chance to clean up the wiring mess I had before. I went ahead and drill through the fire wall so I can officially run the wires through the fire wall instead of the door seal. In this process I’m hoping to wire up a new 12v port since I used the factory one to wire the stereo, which I may rewire to the fuse block as well so I don’t have to turn the speaker on every-time the I shut the Rover off (this is super inconvenient because I have to go into my phone and reconnect through Bluetooth and stuff). Tomorrow I will be wiring everything up. Fingers crossed.

bff8191036daf01be00d7e0e1eea9766.jpg

5) My dome light went out about 2 years ago and never cared to fix it. Ended up being a blown fuse so I swapped it out and now it works again.

6) Remounted some mud boards and the tire trash bag.

e2fdb282f395131bd86ba993a45e591f.jpg

83feaacae8efe2dd0cac44652fb4bb67.jpg

7) I updated my broken hood latch cable with a more permanent fix….

bb300d6098ab6ed21e3a23a192004131.jpg

Now that we are up to date….

Next weekend is uwharrie Expedition so I’m getting the disco squared away for a weekend of camping and trail riding! I might post a few more updates as time goes on.

Colorofkris

Looks like I will be doing a power steering flush and replacing the return hose tomorrow before heading off to uwharrie. First really cold day of the season and my pump was screaming at me, would hardly turn without some rpm’s. I’ve had the return hose sitting in the shed for a few months now but the Range Rover has been getting in the way of swapping it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior