Is 2000 a good year for Suzuki vitara?

burt

Observer
Ive had a samurai or three at all times for the last 20 or so years but last year ditched them all because I just got too busy to mess with them. Well Im itching for a zook again and looking at a 2000 Suzuki vitara (not Grand Vitara). Is that a particularly good or bad platform? Seems far more comfortable than a sami and still smaller than any of the other old cheap rigs with a frame and t case but I don’t have any experience with them. Probably wouldn’t take it on big trips but who knows. Not thinking big rock crawler either. Just kinda wondering where it lies on the car - truck spectrum. Thanks

stevec

Adventurer
IMHO, any year is a good year, especially prior to 2004. In 2000 you could have either the 2.0L 4 cyl. or the 2.5L V6 in the Vitara/Grand Vitara line. V6 has decent power but poor mileage (19-22mpg.) 2.0 is a little less power but great mileage (24-28mpg.) Both engines are pretty much bulletproof, as long as the prior owners took care of basic maintenance (i.e. oil changes.) Prior to 2004 still had the manual 4x4 shifter (instead of buttons on the dash) and could be had in a 5 speed manual. I've heard that the V6 can have oil starvation issues on very steep inclines, but would be fine for overlanding.

burt

Observer
Thanks for the reply. I pulled the trigger on one yesterday. 4cyl auto 4x4. I’m pretty pumped on it. 84k miles and looks like it hasn’t been used too hard and doesn’t have any mods or hackery (yet). The air actuated diff for 4x4 doesn’t seem like the greatest way to do it from a reliability standpoint but I guess if it works it works

stevec

Adventurer
Since you won't be doing any rock crawling you should be fine. The weak link I've heard about is the aluminum front diff housing - if you change your mind and decide to wheel it hard, I'd suggest finding a steel one (out of an XL-7 I believe). You can also swap manual locking hubs on, but for what you plan to use your rig for I wouldn't bother to change anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior