Is a 3-axle HZJ79 a good idea?

Septimusus

Hello,

first, I am new here and if I wrote this in the wrong place, please help me to move it to the right topic

My question is the following:

Is a 3-axle Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ79 a good or a bad idea?

I found this one for sale and from what it has it checks all the boxes for me (Sleeping, Working, Cooking, Hygiene and Relaxing)

It has been for sale for more than 4 Months and recently the seller dropped the price by 10.000€ to around 50 grand.

I have never seen any three-axle off-roader except this one: Mercedes-AMG G 63 6x6 therefore I am contemplating if buying this conversion is a really bad Idea...

Thanks for your help and greetings, Alex

220bdc99-4fae-48eb-8a2e-6f1c3cdb1919.jpeg

Attachments

• 8da5775b-a354-49b4-b339-30bd2ea01fc4.jpeg
    8da5775b-a354-49b4-b339-30bd2ea01fc4.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 2

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Dont assume its 6x6 either.
Some are assembled with extra axel for higher load capacity, but its not a driven.
Good point. It is listed in this ad as '3 axle' (but €17,150 cheaper than the following ads)

And 4x6 here

and a UNIKAT build, according to the dealer (Autoparken Breisgau) listing on Mobile.de

Last edited:

Septimusus

Thanks for all the advice, here is the listing where I found it on kleinanzeigen.de

I finally called the seller and asked him my questions. For now, I decided to stay away from it for a few key issues I see:
  • It is a 4x6 so the third axle is just a tag axle and no power is sent to it
  • The engine is in stock condition, no turbo upgrade has been done
  • The car with the camper weights 3660kg which is over the 3.5t limit of my driving license and way too heavy for the stock 1HZ
  • it eats 20l per 100km but I think this is conservative, expect more like 25l
  • The camper is permanently attached to the car, but the seller was not sure how maybe with a wooden base plate?
  • It has Frond AND Back diff locks (this is something good)
  • The conversion has been done by the company "Reutter" in Allgäu, but the company doesn't exist anymore
  • The back does not have leave springs anymore - the seller was unsure how it is working since it is air suspension

I am looking forward to advice from you, but for me this seems like a big nono

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior