Is a 3" OME high enough on a XJ?

AZTACO

Observer
I have an 01 XJ and I going to be starting my build in about 1 month. I was leaning towards the OME 3” with JKS qd’s, after hearing good things about this setup. I heard that only going this high will reduce the number of other suspension related modifications need to accommodate a higher lift, as in just install the kit and be done with suspension mods. Is that true? And is 3” enough for overlanding?

I know it depends on what I want to do with the vehicle, so here it is in the short: Overlanding - goal of going from point A to B (not with the soul intention of rock crawling/difficult off-roading), avoiding anything too crazy like MOAB stuff, but still keeping the terrain interesting and a little challenging.

Thanks for the help, AZTACO

winkosmosis

Explorer
I prefer 2" because I imagine the ride gets even worse with 3" because of the control arm angles. You can tackle some serious terrain with 2" + 31" tires + skid plates!

Plus with 2" you are less likely to need an SYE, don't need a new track bar, don't need new shocks.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
3" lift and 31" tires would be fine for what you plan on doing, along with skid plates, as mentioned.

I run Moab every year, and some of the guys in my club run it on small lift and 31" tires.

This includes the Moab Rim, Gold Bar, Golden Spike, Poisen Spyder and Cliff Hanger trails, just to name a few.

Driver skill, and knowledge of what your rig can (and shouldn't) do, is more of a factor than tire size, lift and horsepower, for going off road.

We're a 'streetable' club, and drive our rigs to where ever we wheel, and still run the 'tougher' trails, and have a lot of fun.

HB

shogun

Adventurer
In general the practice of advertising a specific inch lift is a little silly. You wont necessarily get what they say, and every vehicle is a little different. A more realistic approach is to state a general range of lift like 3-4". Then keep in mind hat many of these "kits" will sag after a short while, and worse, one end will settle/sag differently than the other. It just doesnt seem to work as a simple, bubble-pack, solution.

Most folks agree that anything under 3.5" will not require major mods to other things. That being said, the knee-bone is always connected to the shin-bone. You will prefer other mods in addition, but the plan to make them over time is sound. You will want adjustable control arms, top and bottom. You will want the SYE eventually. You'll want to move the rear shock mounts up also.

3" and 31s should work, also 3-3.5" and 32s will work with no fender cutting. I recommend you do the front and then source the leafs locally to make sure it sits where you want. My rear is heavier than stock, and the "kits" wouldnt be able to account for that.

Personally, I strongly recommend you look at T&J performance for the parts. They have a package and you can also order ala-cart. They know thier stuff and are into building jeepspeed things. I strongly recommend the stiffeners also. Reduces chassis flex and greatly improves handling and on-road control.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I know it depends on what I want to do with the vehicle, so here it is in the short: Overlanding - goal of going from point A to B (not with the soul intention of rock crawling/difficult off-roading), avoiding anything too crazy like MOAB stuff, but still keeping the terrain interesting and a little challenging.

Thanks for the help, AZTACO

My suggestion to you AZTACO is to go out stock several times to see what exactly your Cherokee is capable of. I guarantee that you will be surprised at what it is capable of out of the box. When I had my Cherokee I would bump and scrape over ******** that had other rigs with 33's struggling. Although I struggled a bit more then he did, at the end of the day my ride home on the hwy is going to be smoother and quieter and I am getting better mpg than he is. I have gone up hills that almost flipped a Sammy with a rear locker and 31s. Luckily the thing was light enough to tie a strap to the roll bar and keep it upright. If and when I get my next Cherokee I will focus on skidplating first and baselining the vehicle. I am not sure if you have done this yet but baselining a vehicle is more essential in getting you from point A to B than a lift is. If you are unsure what it is just use the search button, not getting into it here.

You may also want to consider that a lift raises your COG, tires spread your gearing taking the engine out of its optimum rev range. Optimally with 31" tires you want to look at 4.10 gears. One inheritent problem with lifted Cherokees is what is called death wobble. It is usually caused by a worn suspension part which can be exacerbated by off road conditions ie: dirt, water, flexing, etc. I can attest from personal experience that each pothole and bump makes you want to drive the little bastard off of a cliff especially when you have gone through and checked every component for wear and tear. There are alot of factors to consider when lifting a vehicle even if only a little bit. I am not saying that all Cherokees have this issue but it is a common one that can cause an owner grief and would quickly thwart any plans of a trip anywhere of considerable distance. I am also not at all knocking a vehicle lift, hell I will defintely be getting one but I admittedly enjoy run harder trails.

However from what it sounds like you want to do I would say that your stock Cherokee will surprise you and take you places you shouldn't be. Perhaps a tire with a more aggressive tread would further help you in addition to a rear locker. Just keep in mind most of the vehicles you see crossing the Sahara. Most of them have skinny stockers fitted due to lighter weight which translates to being able to put other crap on your rig you dont need but just looks so damn cool :drool:,less wear on drivetrain components, and generally the idea thay big tires are unnecessary in MOST, not all situations.

Overall I would keep that grand or so tucked away for more important mods, like skidplating and baselining. Perhaps you could invest it in a trip, Or if your still convinced you want to spend that money you can buy me a whole Cherokee!! Just kidding...unless your gonna do it.:smiley_drive:

Just my $.02, hope it helps and good luck on your new whip game

Last edited:

XXXpedition

Explorer
i had a 3" lift with 31" tires and did quite a bit of overlanding + off-roading.
i did have a limited slip in the rear that helped. obstacle size is limited, of course, but i think you would be able to do what you want - from what you said...
here's roughly what you can do, so you get an idea:
IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

think that's enough?
than just go for it. it's a nice setup...
sven

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That was Sven's pizza oven.

`

I figured it was a 383 with a procharger underneath that big box. :victory:

What the OP might try is maybe a 2 inch lift, then trim your fenders and add some aftermarket flares. That will keep your center of gravity slightly lower while still allowing for 31s.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I figured it was a 383 with a procharger underneath that big box. :victory:

What the OP might try is maybe a 2 inch lift, then trim your fenders and add some aftermarket flares. That will keep your center of gravity slightly lower while still allowing for 31s.

That is a good idea.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I think its a toolbox XXXpediton built for more storage...

AS for the lift, I think that if I was to do it over, I would only go 3" instead of the 4.5" I have...I have had to piece together and chase down the small fixes, it becomes a pain. Seems your chacing a fix more than enjoying the ride with anything over 3" on XJ's...:safari-rig:

XXXpedition

Explorer
did it really cook pizzas or just warm up the frozen kind, and how, ie, solar or with the engine heat?
it was a great pizza oven - heat from below and above :)
made for big party pizzas ;-) but it prooved to big for only the 2 of us :))))))))))))))))))))

as for the lift: it also depends on how much crap you gonna pack.
i had tons of stuff on my 6-months trip and the rear sagged badly. i ended up with a 6" lift that became a 3" under load.
later, when i had the 6" suspension for 33" tires (i did do rock crawling as well) i added airbags instead. i was happy with that!

IMG_7538.JPG

so i'd think 3" are good and if needed you can add airbags.
sven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger